Hardtop fitting kit, why so few, why so pricey?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Hardtop fitting kit, why so few, why so pricey?

Post by Warrior »

Knowing that hardtop fitting kits for the Z3 command a premium price and are in short supply got me thinking...?

Why so few around?
Presumably for every hardtop made and used a fitting kit to match was purchased. My only guess is that cars reaching the end of their life have been squashed with fitting kits still attached but surely this doesn't account for there being what looks like at best a 4-1 imbalance in availability?

Also, how much did the hardtop fitting kit cost when new? Are prices in excess of 500 quid down to supply and demand or were they a premium price when first available?

Finally, I recall a German company offering a non OEM product a while back but can't find any info? :rtm:
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Hardtop fitting kit, why so few, why so pricey?

Post by g8jka »

There is probably a lot of cars still around with them on without people even realising. When I got my 2.8 it had one fitted, the seller didn't even know. Most people sell their hardtops on to get some cash, not realising the fitting kits will come off and can be sold on. It happens quite often when people sell their cars also, the hardtop goes separately as its more profitable to do it this way and the kits get left on the car.

I purchased a new kit about 6 years ago and it was just over £300 from the main dealer, that included everything needed apart from the front bolts and torx key which came with the top I bought.

The non oem kits can be found on German eBay, they look pretty good quality as well.
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Warrior »

I'll do a German Ebay search for

Ze Zedden fittenzi kitten.....;)
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

you can always do what I did , make them your self, ok I haven't got the rear screen heater connection but using the centre vents clears it very quickly
peter2b
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Warrior »

Panic over, got a price from the local main dealer and can get a complete hardtop fitting kit for the absolute bargain basement price of 769 quid! :bawl: :head: :lol:

Obviously won't be happening.

On another matter i'm told that prior to fitting a hardtop some sort of rollover safety feature has to be switched off. Not heard that before?
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Not on a Z3.

Cheers R.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Warrior wrote:On another matter i'm told that prior to fitting a hardtop some sort of rollover safety feature has to be switched off. Not heard that before?
As Robert says - not on a Z3
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Sorry for the slightly terse reply earlier - quoting is a bit fiddly on Tapatalk. To my knowledge, there is not and never has been anything to disable on a Z3 before fitting the hardtop. That sounds like it relates to cars with pop up rollover protection, which I think was only ever fitted to 4 seaters. The only other thing that you might disable is the electric softtop, as if operated with the hardtop fitted, you would break the roof mechanism, but as you have to press the footbrake whilst simultaneously operating the switch, there is little chance of doing that by accident.

If the dealer is now able to obtain a complete fitting kit again (which they seem to every so often), then this contains some rather expensive cosmetic trim pieces. They may be able to obtain just the two mounting brackets on their own, which are substantially cheaper. The only other pieces you then need are the small wiring loom adapter and a switch to make the heated rear windscreen work.

Cheers R.
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Robert T wrote:Sorry for the slightly terse reply earlier - quoting is a bit fiddly on Tapatalk. To my knowledge, there is not and never has been anything to disable on a Z3 before fitting the hardtop. That sounds like it relates to cars with pop up rollover protection, which I think was only ever fitted to 4 seaters. The only other thing that you might disable is the electric softtop, as if operated with the hardtop fitted, you would break the roof mechanism, but as you have to press the footbrake whilst simultaneously operating the switch, there is little chance of doing that by accident.

If the dealer is now able to obtain a complete fitting kit again (which they seem to every so often), then this contains some rather expensive cosmetic trim pieces. They may be able to obtain just the two mounting brackets on their own, which are substantially cheaper. The only other pieces you then need are the small wiring loom adapter and a switch to make the heated rear windscreen work.

Cheers R.
I don't know what cars they are talking about, but the E46 needs nothing disabled either. I'd be surprised if anything more modern that a Z3 would.

The hood operation is automatically disabled if the correct wiring loom is used and the Z3 only has passive roll-over protection. The active roll-over protection in the E46 is automatically disabled when the hardtop is fitted (as long as the wiring is correct :) ).

The only thing that I can think of is if a non-OEM system is used and it doesn't use the correct wiring - and that would only apply to cars newer than the E46.
Pingu
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

pingu wrote:The hood operation is automatically disabled if the correct wiring loom is used and the Z3 only has passive roll-over protection.
I'm pretty sure the hood would still try to operate on the Z3, but I've never actually tried. AFAIK the three way connector that supplies the HRW and goes up to the roof microswitch is two completely separate circuits with a common earth. Whilst it is possible that you could detect the presence of the HRW heating element when the hardtop is clamped onto the car, the wiring diagrams would imply that there is no such circuitry - with the circuit being made between the battery, the heating element and ground when the switch is operated (either with or without the aid of a relay depending on whether the car is pre- or post-facelift). The hardtop could also operate the roof microswitch to disable the roof motor, but again there would not appear to be anything that does this. So unless you want to break the ram or bend your roof, best not to try it. :wink:

Cheers R.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Robert T wrote:
pingu wrote:The hood operation is automatically disabled if the correct wiring loom is used and the Z3 only has passive roll-over protection.
I'm pretty sure the hood would still try to operate on the Z3, but I've never actually tried. AFAIK the three way connector that supplies the HRW and goes up to the roof microswitch is two completely separate circuits with a common earth. Whilst it is possible that you could detect the presence of the HRW heating element when the hardtop is clamped onto the car, the wiring diagrams would imply that there is no such circuitry - with the circuit being made between the battery, the heating element and ground when the switch is operated (either with or without the aid of a relay depending on whether the car is pre- or post-facelift). The hardtop could also operate the roof microswitch to disable the roof motor, but again there would not appear to be anything that does this. So unless you want to break the ram or bend your roof, best not to try it. :wink:

Cheers R.
the hood still tries to operate, It doesn't hurt anything, it just stalls like it does when it reaches the end of the open stroke, done it loads of times, even sometimes by accident... :D I have the correct wiring and there is nothing in the electrical diagrams to create a bypass circuit.
Loom serves heated rear window and microswitch position only

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Warrior »

Robert T wrote:Sorry for the slightly terse reply earlier - quoting is a bit fiddly on Tapatalk. To my knowledge, there is not and never has been anything to disable on a Z3 before fitting the hardtop. That sounds like it relates to cars with pop up rollover protection, which I think was only ever fitted to 4 seaters. The only other thing that you might disable is the electric softtop, as if operated with the hardtop fitted, you would break the roof mechanism, but as you have to press the footbrake whilst simultaneously operating the switch, there is little chance of doing that by accident.

Cheers R.
What I have is a list of every part needed with a price alongside not a single price for a complete fitting kit. I'm afraid i've left it on my desk at work so cannot immediately recall what was included but there was 2 pieces priced at 220 each. I'll put the list up tomorrow,
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Warrior »

A little later than planned and not the full list but here are the horror priced items. (sorry no pound sign on this US keyboard!)

Left Hardtop support 233.45
Right Hardtop support 233.45
Switch 89.50
L Hardtop support Cover 53.40
R Hardtop support Cover 53.40

Couple of things ...on realOEM.com the hardtop support is priced at $101.96. Would this mean that it's likely to be available from the US.

The price I quoted earlier included 71.21 discount! :lol:

On the printout that gives the full spec of my car it lists amongst a host of factory fitted AG Extras 'Roll Over Protection'? (guessing this means the roll bars behind each seat)
Plus what I thought would be standard but also listed as extras...
Dynamic Stability Control
Passenger Airbag
Soft Top
Limited slip Diff
Smokers Package (Ash Tray?)

Plus Front Seat Heating which probably explains why the back one's are so cold :wink: