Jonttt Imola II Red S54 Z3m Roadster Journal

Post pictures of your car and discuss it here. One car per thread, and keep it on-topic, please!
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Re: Jonttt Imola II Red S54 Z3m Roadster Journal

Post by Jonttt »

Its a classic additions fully tailored indoor fleece cover.
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Nothing to report on the Z3 as its tucked up for winter but I know you guys appreciate a nice set of wheels and seeing as my wheel whoring has transgressed to the 993 :head:...........

I've been on the look out for some classic Porsche split rims in the correct offsets and finally tracked a rare set down.......

They are about the closest I can get to the deep dish possible with the Z3m but with 11 inch rears I should be able to get plenty of rubber down :lol:
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Captain

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Captain »

Very nice, they will definitely look good on the car :cool:
ImageImage
Bi11

M roadster S54

Post by Bi11 »

Very nice, look forward to seeing pictures of them fitted. Wish I had your skill at finding wheels!
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

Jon often smashes his piggy bank to buy more accessories for his toys
He gets through lots of piggy banks throughout the year lol
Like me Jon you must be pain to buy for at birthday and Xmas, if you want something you just buy it! lol
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

Lorenzo

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Lorenzo »

Hi Jon,
My congratulations, you own my favourite cars ever! Applause!
martyb

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by martyb »

Such a nice looking car in that colour.

What sort of detailing products do you use?

No way that shine happens with a quick wash haha
Boysie

M roadster S50

Jonttt Imola II Red S54 Z3m Roadster Journal

Post by Boysie »

It does if it's pampered and kept undercover and not used in the rain and snow, I have a similar one in my garage, my wife calls the cars the spoilt bitches lol

Sent from Boysie via Tapatalk
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

martyb wrote:........
No way that shine happens with a quick wash haha
But it does ;-)

I shy away from quoting exact products as it always starts some form of debate on how/why/what to use :lol: There are so many varied / decent products out there that to me there is little difference unless you are obsessed by the process.

As the car does not get used much its relatively easy to keep in a condition that a wash and quick detailer is all that is needed. I do use a good shampoo (McGuires Gold) but cheap quick detailer (one of the cheap bulk size sprays you can buy from Halfords when the 3 for 2 offers are on, the added advantage being this can also be used as a lubricant for a clay bar).

If/when I feel needed the car gets the wax /sealent stripped, clayed and rewaxed / sealed.

Cheap quick detailer / lubricant so you can be generous with it....

Sealant / Wax.....
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

I've decided to not put the Z3 back on the road this summer :bawl:

A combination of new job, plenty of DIY following a house move and I've decided to concentrate on just one of the toys this year.

So the Z3 will stay SORNED and in secure storage for the next year :head:

I therefore won't have any updates for this journal in the near future but wish you all a great top down summer of fun :wink:

Ps I have a great view of the driveway from my new lounge seat and look forward to seeing the roady there next year :D

aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

One word sacrilege ! :wink:
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Rocking seats ? You need seat bushes click HERE
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

sell me them rear ronddles then if your not going to use them :lol:
its a loverly choice of car though mate.. :wink:
the badness makes me do it...!

Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Why only one Z3 at Gawsworth Hall on Monday :evil:

Its one of the best car events in the North West, £5 to get in with your classic, stunning scenary to park in and lots of public looking at your pride and joy. There were at least 200 MX5's, shame on you lot :dunce:

Not sure what happened here......

This one takes me back.....

and then there was this very very rare and valuable bad boy.....

Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

swamper wrote:sell me them rear ronddles then if your not going to use them :lol:
I have to find them first, gawd knows were I put them :D
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

If you do you know where I am...there'll go to a good home..

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

You may have noticed a lack of Austin Healey's at Gawsworth this year - afraid I was on a club weekend driving round Skipton area with about 30 other Healeys - otherwise I'd have been there. Sorry to have missed you.

Cheers R.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

Hi, Jonttt. First of all you have one of the best z3 I had ever seen everywhere and it showed me some direction where do I want to go with my black z3.
So I got ACS type1 3pc wheels, ACS roll hoops and even Storm Motorwerks V1 (that was not your influence, but it looks like we have some similar taste, I admire your exterior but I wasn't paying attention to details of your interior).

I decided to try some smaller sport wheel (not raid) and actually I like the look and feel of it, but I hate that I don't see instrument cluster lights and speedo. And today I got lucky and won some ACS 3 spoke steering wheel, as I know it is quite rare and expensive item. Decided to check what you have now, just for interest, as I remember you getting one, and on one of the last photos I see small part of similar ACS steering wheel. Can you please post some photos of your interior with steering wheel visible? How do you like it compared to other wheels?
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Yes I have a genuine schnitzer carbon steering wheel somewhere :wink:

I can't take pics of my interior as the car is under cover in secure storage. There are pics throughout this journal but I have had c 5 gear sticks fitted at one time or another. The storm is my fav though and has stayed on the car.

I should be finishing my garage over the summer and it's attic will be dedicated to car stuff so I will be able to get everything out of storage and remind myself of what I've collected over the years.

Re the raid wheel it is the single best mod for the Z3 ie it's smaller and thicker than OEM and transforms the feel of the car and driving experience. 340mm is optimum for the z3 and only partially obscures the dials.

I like it so much that I got one straight away for the 993 which suffers from the same thin, larger OEM wheel. However the 4 wheel drive 993 C4S is heavier steering than the Z3 so 360mm is better for that but again is enough to transform the drive.

The schnitzer wheel is OEM diameter but thicker as it's effectively a wrapped OEM wheel. I got it purely due to rarity and not to fit to the car as an option to the raid.
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

Thanks for explaining!
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Mmmmm I've got a new ///M car arriving next week :twisted:
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

Don't be cruel ...tell us what it is?

Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

It would not be a surprise then :twisted:
G2JRP

M roadster S50

Post by G2JRP »

Jonttt wrote:It would not be a surprise then :twisted:

Not an M4?
ImageImageImage

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

You've spoilt it now :lol:
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Well I thought after 18 months of being stood in storage I should give the Z3 a run :D ......

but as its SORN with no current MOT I was limited to 15 minutes driving around the underground car park where it lives :head:

The car is stored in a well ventilated secure underground car park but walking up to it after 18 months always holds a little trepidation....

Not too much dust on the car cover......

and underneath still sparkling.....

It was great to sit in the car again, smell the leather and I'm pleased to say absolutely no damp or musty smell which you often get with cars stored for a while. After reconnecting the fuel pump and battery (and a few other relays to make the car secure ;-) it was time to start her up, first turn engine caught and settled straight away to a rock solid 1,000 RPM idle, just like it had been run yesturday !

I let it idle for a little and no warning lights ......

before going on several "laps" of the car park to warm up the oil and test the brakes. Again not one squeak and the brakes performed perfectly with no judder from surface corrosion at all. There was not even any sign of flat spots from the tyres (they were over inflated for storage).

All in all I could not have hoped for more for the car, 18 months without the cover being touched and you simply would not know.

So its now tucked back up for probably another 18 months :shock:
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

Good stuff Jon. 1 mile in 2-3 years !

The 'BEAST' 666
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Alfie »

Good to hear she's still schweet Jon.... 8-)

And we still need to get the sisters together for some snaps. :idea:

A.
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Alfie wrote:…...And we still need to get the sisters together for some snaps. :idea:

A.
At this rate it would need to be in the Underground Car Park Alfie :)
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

I got chance to call over to the Classic Car show at Tatton Park yesturday.......

There was a nice Imola S50 Z3m Roady and DaveP's always immaculate coupe on show.....

but my favorite car by far was an Immaculate 300SL "Gullwing", one of the most beautiful cars ever made IMHO. Kudos to the owner who had driven it for 3 hours to get to the show. Given the value of these nowadays most would have had it trailored or stuck in storage....

deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

I think you should sell the car to some other enthusiast, who will drive it, take care of it and show to others too. Otherwise it will be like those gullwings in storages.

I think your car is one of the best Z3 in UK, and I was wondering why there are no photos of it posted even in this thread and no progress...

Or your plan is to keep it as an valuable asset?
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

I plan to keep it into retirement as my hobby car. My other toys will be sold then as part of my pension and to reduce my day to day spends ;-)

Its a simple decision to me, I don't need the money and I could not buy anything better for that money, better than money in the bank ie it would be a stupid decision to sell it given it costs me £0 per year to store it securely and I know I could never replace it with another.

I'm a great believer in rarity will always have value and mine is one of the rarest BMW's ever made (RHD S54 Z3m roadster) added to the fact IMHO the Z3m's will age very very well and so desirability will always increase. Rarity and desirability is the perfect combination in a car.

So is it now an investment, yes BUT not at a value where it cannot be used in the future. If it does then its win win for me ;-)

The car has driven around a secure underground car park for 10 minutes in the past 18 months so hard to do updates but rest assured it is as beautiful as ever......

Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

It looks in lovely condition and the paintwork looks very good. It would have risen in value far more than RBS bank shares over the past 6-years :wink:
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

I agree - the car is valuable and desirable, and you will not buy anything better for the money you could get from it.

I got your point, but unfortunately at least for me your car is no longer "alive" as it used to be :( And it goes to that category of valuable and desirable "old school" cars, someone very old is keeping in his barn and not giving away to anyone, who wants it because of it's value and not because it's fun to ride it, tune or improve in any way. Of course things like this should keep values of remaining z3 up...

Actually I almost got to the point where improvements to my own car will end. At least I hope so even when nobody believes me :D. Just need new suspension, exhaust and short shifter, everything else is just small details and keeping it in good condition. Not sure what I will do after that point. Some Lotus, 911 or other exotic would be cool, but I don't think I can afford that at the moment. Maybe some american muscle, but it needs to be already restored, otherwise it will be to expensive.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Oh my plan is to drive it again as a hobby car, one day :D

In terms of "mods" I hit my goal on those a few years ago ie ran out of things I wanted to do / buy even semi associated with the car, lots of which I have no idea where I put :lol:
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

I had a look at the car last week, first time I've seen it in over 6 months, the good news is it's still there :lol:

Problem is the cover is getting a nice layer of dust on it now and I did not want to lift it as I like the effect, it could be a cardboard cutout under here :shock:

Can't believe it's nearly 12 months since I drov it around the garage. Where does time go ! I can't see it moving this year :head:
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

A new daily driver has joined the stable.......

Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

I took my 6 year old daughter shopping yesterday and parked in the same car park as the Z3m is parked. I showed her the car. Its the first time she has seen it in her eyes (she was 3 the last time and can't remember it). She was really excited.

I think it may be time to get it back on the road next easter as she will be old enough to appreciate a convertible :D

Plus her mother will be driving around in one of these by then so she may be used to a bit of speed :lol:

https://youtu.be/lUQY1Z0RbYk
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Looking forward to seeing it unwrapped again
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

I spent an hour with the Z3m today to give it its 19 monthly wake up lol

So recent history of the car.....

13-09-2013 Last Ran on the public road and put into storage
15-04-2014 Car ran around storage to warm engine / turn over tyres
29-12-2016 Car ran around storage to warm engine / turn over tyres

So the car has had its engine warmed up / tyres turned over by driving it around the indoor secure car park where it is stored two in 3 years 3 months.

The car is covered with a fitted indoor cover. This was showing signs of some dust......

on removing the cover there was penetration of very fine dust on the paintwork...

Despite this the car was looking fine and absolutely no signs of damp / deterioration inside or out (the car park its stored in is mechanically ventilated) .......

Prior to starting I had to replace several key fuses removed for additional security ;-)

and then the moment of truth, first turn of the engine after 20 months standing....

ps I don't like to let cars sit on idle so gently driven around the indoor car park to warm up the engine

Once warm the driving was a little more "spirited" to ensure the brakes where fine ;-)

The great news was that no engine / fault lights and the car felt as if it had been driven every day. No flat spots on the tyres, silky smooth gear change, engine felt fine with no hesitation and the brakes where true with no pulling.
Once parked back up I checked the tyre pressures. I always over inflate for storage, they had dropped to c29psi so pumped them all back up to 40psi.

So the only prep for storage I do is a clean car and over inflated tyres, thats it and starts on first turn after 20 months no problems at all. Who says it does a car no good to sit unused ;-)

ps what did really hit me was just how solid the car felt, the ease / solidity of the boot / doors shutting, I found myself just opening closing them with a grin. Modern BMW's just don't have that feel to them anymore.

So the car is tucked up again....

and I resisted using the "stupid" button .....

My daughter will be 7 next June, I have it in mind to get the car back on the public road as I think she is old enough now to appreciate an open top car. At least I know a quick service and MOT should have it well sorted for use.
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

Probably one of the nicest examples around. But to tell you the truth, looking at the pics of your car now it's not as sensational anymore, as I remember it earlier. Maybe I had seen too many pics of z3 since and my taste has changed. Don't like those non-oem headlights at all anymore, for example. Anyway will be nice to see it used again on the streets where it belongs.
Jonttt wrote: So the only prep for storage I do is a clean car and over inflated tyres, thats it and starts on first turn after 20 months no problems at all. Who says it does a car no good to sit unused ;-)
I understand the issue of sitting unused is with rubber deterioration as it's not being stretched on daily basis. Quite sure driving around in garage wouldn't show the problems with that if they arise...
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Yep rubber would deteriorate.......over about 20 years :roll:

I've seen first hand an e36 M3 evolution brought out of a garage after over 10 years of none use, full 3 day detail and service and it was mint with only 7k on the clock. The only rubber affected was a side window seal which had been on the damp side of the garage. All rubber will deteriorate over time, I including tyres whether it's used or not...... I'm happy the car will drive with zero ill effects from storage. The main issue is usually tyres but over inflating seems to be doing the trick.

Ps the lights are a 10 min retrofit so hardly an issue. I have a big stockpile of oem and schnitzer S54 parts including 2 other sets of lights ie a brand new set of oem facelift clear indicator front lights and the original used version. The car has a lot of rare none oem and Schnitzer oem kit on it, but I have the original parts.

There are things I would change on the car now, tastes change eg I would revert the door handles back to black and fit my new set of Schnitzer Type iii race wheels, maybe I will in the summer.
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

This is dying to be put back on the road, such a shame seeing a car like that be sat in storage :roll:
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Looking great as usual - would love to see this on a meet up somewhere in 2017
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

Lovely car JT

Good to see it unleashed again.

Mine needs a drive, it's been tucked up since September.

Nothing wrong with not using it if it's serviced properly and on trickle charge.

Mark

The 'BEAST' 666
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Badman gee wrote:Nothing wrong with not using it if it's serviced properly and on trickle charge.

Mark
Doesn't sound like it gets - nor needs - either.
Pingu
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Nope, it had a major service prior to being put in storage and the race bike battery is disconnected. I have two in place so if one fails to crank the other can be connected but the cranking power has never been an issue, always turns over like it was a daily driver :wink:

It will get a service for its MOT when the time is right to get it back on the road.

I've been toying with the idea of getting a Boxster GTS as a toy for summer but there seems little point in paying depreciation on a roadster when I have this available that I can run for free...... but then I think any Porsche GTS is not a bad place to be mmmmmmmm so many cars, so little time. 2016 has been a busy year and so I've not really had much time to play with cars, hopefully next year will be different and the Z3m can get put in the mix somewhere. The main thing is I'm still really happy to have it in the camp.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Badman gee wrote:Lovely car JT

Nothing wrong with not using it if it's serviced properly and on trickle charge.

Mark
They are still a great car to have for fun. Using it yesturday left a nice feeling that I own it which given some of the cars I get to drive says a lot for the character of the car. I've always said the 90's where a sweet spot for these types of cars and I may swap and change "better"/faster cars but the Z3m and 993 are going nowhere 8-)
Uncle_Clanger
Sponsor 2018

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Uncle_Clanger »

Jonttt wrote:
Badman gee wrote:Lovely car JT

Mark
They are still a great car to have for fun. Using it yesturday left a nice feeling that I own it which given some of the cars I get to drive says a lot for the character of the car. I've always said the 90's where a sweet spot for these types of cars and I may swap and change "better"/faster cars but the Z3m and 993 are going nowhere 8-)
Wow, this is like the cars own Facebook page.. except it can't pretend to be having a wonderful life when it's all trussed up in a garage and not flaunting a selfie with an alpine backdrop :)

Many would agree the M roadster is a work of art, and it seems this beauty has been in a vault too long. You could always do what they do with paintings and put it out on loan... I'll treat it to a run out if you like? I can't help you with the Porsche though.

Hope to see her hitting the road in 2017, come on Jonttt hit the stupid button!

I think deni2s is right about the headlights... And I think the schnitzer type 3 will definitely look a lot meaner.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Well I did not think that the day would come, certainly not so soon but.......... I've sold the Z3m :shock:

A bit of a story behind it........

I have a number of friends who are not only true petrol heads but also, to be polite, filthy rich. I met up with one of them and his son about 5 years ago in the Z3m. He had a go in the car and absolutely loved it. That was quite something as he has / does have just about every supercar you can name. He asked for first refusal if I ever sold the car. I thought nothing more of it.

Fast forward 5 years and out of the blue he asks if I still have the roadster. Of course I do. He made me an offer for it and I simply said no. I did not even know if he was being serious. A few days later he told me he really wanted to buy the car, how much would I sell it for. I told him a stupid figure. He agreed without a quibble :shock: To be honest I was in shock, I did not want to sell the car. I told him I needed a couple of days to think about it. In the end I simply could not refuse. So I phoned him and within 1 hour the funds where in my bank. He has not seen the car for 5 year :shock:

Today I sorted the V5 and its no longer mine :(

I am gutted. The car has sold for what I know is the highest price by some margin achieved for any Z3m (roadster OR coupe). I will not divulge that price as it is not really reflective of the current market (I am confident it will be one day) but more reflective of a rich man who wants something he could not otherwise have.

One day I will get it back off him lol

On a positive note I sorted a replacement out within 1 day :lol:

I pick this up on Wednesday so I will not be roadsterless...

I have no words for the car, these videos sums it up much better than I can......

[youtube]y1LhUzL3qdU[/youtube]

[youtube]fGCc_uoiOOw[/youtube]

I have been a member on here since Sun 28 Dec, 2008, swapped my S50 for the S54 in 2009. I may not have driven it much for the last few years but it has a lot of fond memories for me. This forum has very much been part of that ownership experience especially in the early days. I will still be browsing if not very active and one day hope to update this journal with news of the S54.
Renaud

M roadster S54

Post by Renaud »

Hello Jonttt,

Sorry to hear you have sold the Z, but I can understand why, the GTS version is a fantastic car.

If you ever wanted to part ex the GTS for another Red S54, or even offer me a stupid figure, you know where to get hold of me! :wink:

Enjoy the GTS.

Rgds

R.