being dazzled

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

being dazzled

Post by peter2b »

am I the only z3 owner who gets blinded by cars following who have very bright head lights even when I have the rear view mirror dipped
peterz3
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: being dazzled

Post by gookah »

nope
But if you were 25 then it wouldn't, and even if it did, you wouldn't complain.
Unfortunately getting older causes both to happen...... :D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

got it sorted had some one behind me on the way homelast night with blinding bright lights so on road I know very well and straight I turned my lights off , I could see the road in front very clearly , I think he got the idea as he pulled back about 1/4 mile
peterz3
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

peter2b wrote:got it sorted had some one behind me on the way homelast night with blinding bright lights so on road I know very well and straight I turned my lights off , I could see the road in front very clearly , I think he got the idea as he pulled back about 1/4 mile
peterz3
He must be particularly bright himself! What I do is simply slow down, and down, and down, and down... Eventually they seem to understand. Works for tailgaters too.
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

The OEM mesh wind deflectors do a pretty good job of defusing bright lights from behind - however the problem lies in the fact that most new cars these days have ultra bright LED lights and are the same height as a 20 year old 4x4, meanwhile our 20 year old zeds are lower than the intelligence of the next President of the America....
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

last week I had a car behind me at 5.45 am with blinding lights so I slowed down to 30 mph (60mph limit) still up my rear went to 20mph still there even though the road in front was clear up to 30 still there still there so I indicated left to let him past still there so dropped into 2nd floored it left him behind 5 mins later there he again up my rear, why I know z3's rear end look nice but this is some thing else
peterz3
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

Back in the days when I was taught to drive (no, you don't find French driving licences in a cereal box!), the trick to get rid of tailgaters was to give the brake pedal a little dab with your left foot, while keeping your right foot normally on the throttle, resulting in a warning flash of your brake lights for your newly-found BFF. I've had to do it a few times over the years, indistinctively in France or in the UK, and it usually works well, as long as you only push on the brake pedal enough to trigger the light switch, and not more. A bit of practice on the drive at night is recommended.
As for blinding headlights, the ones I meet are generally rewarded with my turning on the fog lights. Quite conveniently, z3s have two rear ones...

Boosh.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

peter2b wrote:last week I had a car behind me at 5.45 am with blinding lights so I slowed down to 30 mph (60mph limit) still up my rear went to 20mph still there even though the road in front was clear up to 30 still there still there so I indicated left to let him past still there so dropped into 2nd floored it left him behind 5 mins later there he again up my rear, why I know z3's rear end look nice but this is some thing else
peterz3
I had a police car do that to me, and next I know I had 3 points....

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Boosh wrote: As for blinding headlights, the ones I meet are generally rewarded with my turning on the fog lights. Quite conveniently, z3s have two rear ones...

Boosh.

sometimes they have bright led lights, a high up vehicle, whereas we have a low, sometimes lowered car.
Is that really their fault? or anything they can do something about?

Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

motco wrote:
peter2b wrote:got it sorted had some one behind me on the way homelast night with blinding bright lights so on road I know very well and straight I turned my lights off , I could see the road in front very clearly , I think he got the idea as he pulled back about 1/4 mile
peterz3
He must be particularly bright himself! What I do is simply slow down, and down, and down, and down... Eventually they seem to understand. Works for tailgaters too.
I find a good repeated blast of the screenwashers does the trick........Unless of course I'm driving Zelda with the top down!

:cheers
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Warrior »

Tailgated for a mile or so whilst driving the wife's XRi (woohoo!) a while back so slowed down to 20mph. When I turned off this guy follows, flashes his lights, pulls up 20 yds behind and starts to get out of his car presumably to 'ave a word'. :head:

I'm 6'2" and would have been around 16 stone then, don't look happy most of the time and was ripe for a conversation. I think this guy must have expected an 18 year old boy racer but the look on his face as he ran back to his car and reversed Starsky and Hutch style was a joy to behold :twisted:
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

In the good ol days we had spotlights mounted on the rear bumper as reversing lights :D

Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Gazza wrote:In the good ol days we had spotlights mounted on the rear bumper as reversing lights :D

Wrong tail-lights tor a twin-tanked Mini :drive :thumb:

I hope it had sliding windows and external hinges :D
Pingu
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Mine was a 1969 MKII Morris Cooper S with ext. hinges and sliding windows :wink:

Photo for ref. only :D
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Gazza wrote:Mine was a 1969 MKII Morris Cooper S with ext. hinges and sliding windows :wink:

Photo for ref. only :D
A car we dreamed of, but they were either in museums, hedges or dustbins.

:thumb:
Pingu
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

got it sussed I'm using my freelander now as it's starting to snow
peterz3