Gloria's new look

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Gloria's new look

Post by Alan W »

Just fitted these refurbed 17" style 44 wheels with new Uniroyal Sport 3 tyres all round.. no tramlining and the tyres are incredibly quiet..

1999 facelit Z3 Roadster 2.8 Auto in Cosmos Black aka 'Gloria'
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: Gloria's new look

Post by peter2b »

very smart
peterz3
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

Nice bit of polishing too :thumb:
1997 Z3 2.8 (M52) Roadster Montreal blue
2013 330d (F31) M Sport Alpine White
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Looks good! Could you post a few more pics - I'm considering style 44s so would be good to see some other shots?
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Alan W »

Just for you Mr Blade runner. ..

Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

Hi, Alan,
Your wheels seem to fill the rear arches quite nicely. They are given for an ET of 47, just like my style 89s. However, mine sit a bit too much in the arches for my liking, and I'm therefore considering fitting some wheel spacers. Have you got some fitted? If so, what size are they?
Thanks for your help,

Boosh.

Ps: I think your new wheels suit your car better than the previous set.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Alan W wrote:Just for you Mr Blade runner. ..
:cheers
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Alan W »

Your wheels seem to fill the rear arches quite nicely. They are given for an ET of 47, just like my style 89s. However, mine sit a bit too much in the arches for my liking, and I'm therefore considering fitting some wheel spacers. Have you got some fitted? If so, what size are they?
Hi Boosh.. I really liked the style 64's as I thought they were in keeping with the era of the car, but the 44's came up silly cheap locally and had been refurbed and never used so it was a bit of an impulse buy... for which I then had to fork out for a full set of tyres! I didn't like the 44's at first and considered putting the 64's back on, but they have grown on me now so will keep. So as well as the 44's I now have two sets of redundant 64's, one set of which I have someone interested in buying and the other set I will hang on to just in case I change my mind!!

Yes the 44's are ET47 and the 64's were similar at ET45. I used 20mm bolt through (as opposed to bolt on) hubcentric spacers from MTEC on ebay.. excellent quality product from a good seller.

My only regret is that I didn't get 235 or 245 tyres for the 44's, 225's are fine as the photos show and by no means stretched, but I think a slightly wider tyre would have looker better. The 64's are 7" wide and had 225's and I like the extra protection the sidewall gives the rim on those.. the 44's are 8" wide and that sidewall protection for the rim is there but not as much and I am worried that I will kerb the rims.
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

Thanks for your reply. I've had a quick look at the wheel arches with the ol' 'stone on a string' trick, and with your help can now start my search for 20mm spacers.
As an aside, I also had to put some new tyres on the new 17'' wheels, so went from half-worn Hancooks on 16'', to new Uniroyal Sport 3s on 17''. I found that the Hancooks were a tad better against tram-lining, but the Uniroyals are incredible on the wet. And since I live in Normandy, I'm quite satisfied with the swap.
As for the width (225), that's what was on the alloys when I bought them (albeit knackered). So I just had a quick look on the plate inside the door slam to check that it was a possible dimension for the car (some mot inspectors can be sticklers for conformity), and went for it. I'm not sure there would be much to gain going for wider ones.

Boosh.
xtLSport

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by xtLSport »

very nice wheels. nice car!
I've alwys questionned myself....how do you come up with a specific name for a car? Why Gloria? is that the name of your child, or ex-gilfriend? :D
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Alan W »

Boosh.. I don't have any issues with tramlining on the Rainsports which as well as being very grippy I found them to be extremely quiet compared to my Conti's

xtLSport.. Gloria because she's black and sexy.. like Gloria Gaynor
kruisn

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by kruisn »

She certainly is black and sexy (the car that is). Looking very nice, a credit to you and no shopping cart dents, - I am impressed. :bounce: :cheers
Don't drink and drive home -
Take the Zd and fly home -
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Looks like new-car, showroom condition in the photos :)