bit of play on front wheels

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

bit of play on front wheels

Post by peter2b »

when I got home last night the front near side wheel was hot to the touch, this pm I put her up on the ramp and felt slight play in the wheel when gripped each side, this was on both front wheels nothing when gripped top and bottom, , It felt like the track rod ends might have some play on them so as I had a brace of new ones I've fitted them ,the play I feel is slightly reduced but still there, could it be the rack is warn?, I've checked the brake pads and discs slight wear on the discs but the pads still have plenty of meat on them, on the near side the disc was stiff to turn Unlike the off side which spun quite easily , so I'm left in a bit of a quandary as to why the near side heats up so much as I've had cars in the past with stiff to turn discs but no heating , with the wheel on there is hardly any difference between both sides
peterz3
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Re: bit of play on front wheels

Post by bertiejaffa »

sounds to me like your brake caliper is sticking slightly, or your slider pins are rusting.... BIGGRED will have replacement pistons, pins and seals when you figure out what you need to replace
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Brian4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian4 »

Sounds like the usual sticking calipers, have they been changed in the last few thousand miles? if so as the piston has been pushed back the corroded part of the piston is now nearly in the caliper and rust on,
The movement in the front wheels could be the front control arm bushes worn allowing the control arm to move side to side.
Brian
3.0I Topaz Blue

2000 E36/7 Z3 3.0i
2016 F31 335d
2015 F21 118i
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

Similar heating wheel (rear, in my case) was due to caliper not going back to rest position after braking. Solution was to remove, clean, re-grease , and refit the sliding pins.Hope that helps,

Boosh.
Last edited by Boosh on Sat 11 Feb, 2017 07:42, edited 2 times in total.
Howard Adams

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Howard Adams »

Hi, if any one wheel especially the front is getting hot there's normally something wrong with the brakes, pads worn out, sticking in slides, faulty caliper. If left it will effect the wheel bearing due to the heat.
Also if the wheel is getting hot the disc could of also become over heated, normally when a caliper sticks a replacement is required (a very easy job) and new discs & pads at the same time( if the disc has gone blue).
Hope this helps.
H
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

cheers for confirming , as she's still on the car lift that's what I'm going to do strip the caliper and give it a good clean up
peterz3
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

there was a bit of rust on the sliding pins all cleaned up with a bit of copper grease , the side play silly me was the slack in the stearing lock saw the stearing wheel move slightly when I moved the road wheel from side to side, any way new track rods in just got to get the tracking done off side tyre has got more ware in the inside so new front tyres as well been running on phenoma lassa since I got her 3 years ago so about time she was reshod
peterz3
Howard Adams

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Howard Adams »

Excellent