Secondary Air Injection Pump

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
elwood158

M roadster S50

Secondary Air Injection Pump

Post by elwood158 »

Hi,
It appears my "pump" on my 1999 M Roadster (S50) needs replacing.... I can only find 2 versions online, the original BMW part (for $400+ US) and a non-BM part made by 'pierburg' (around $200+ US) which seems to be compatible. Anyone know of another suitable part for this pump or confirm if the pierburg part is a good fit, etc...?

Any help would be appreciated,

thanks

elwood
1999 M Roadster (S50)
Porsche 911 RS hotrod
c_w

M roadster S50

Re: Secondary Air Injection Pump

Post by c_w »

It wouldn't surprise me if Pierburg is the OE manufacturer for it. The pump isn't necessary though, it's just a cold air pump on warm up.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

c_w wrote:It wouldn't surprise me if Pierburg is the OE manufacturer for it
I agree. Pierburg seem to have cornered the market for a lot of auxiliary/secondary electronically controlled pumps around the engine bays of German cars. This same question crops up a lot on Audi forums for a similar little (cooling) pump linked to the TDI EGR system.
elwood158

M roadster S50

Post by elwood158 »

c_w wrote:It wouldn't surprise me if Pierburg is the OE manufacturer for it. The pump isn't necessary though, it's just a cold air pump on warm up.
Yes, my mechanic said same. In fact he disconnected it last time I was in to stop the stupid noise it was making.. but now, it has a test to pass and needs to be connected. So, gotta get a new one.
1999 M Roadster (S50)
Porsche 911 RS hotrod
elwood158

M roadster S50

Post by elwood158 »

Del wrote:
c_w wrote:It wouldn't surprise me if Pierburg is the OE manufacturer for it
I agree. Pierburg seem to have cornered the market for a lot of auxiliary/secondary electronically controlled pumps around the engine bays of German cars. This same question crops up a lot on Audi forums for a similar little (cooling) pump linked to the TDI EGR system.

Great, good to know, this re-assures me this isn't some weird dodgey brand just purporting to be the real deal.
1999 M Roadster (S50)
Porsche 911 RS hotrod
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

Ah I seem just noticed you are in Australia, over in the UK the car is tested at normal operating temperature (so the pump has long stopped working).
elwood158

M roadster S50

Post by elwood158 »

c_w wrote:Ah I seem just noticed you are in Australia, over in the UK the car is tested at normal operating temperature (so the pump has long stopped working).
Yep, in Oz... the aussie testing is based on overall function rather than just at startup or at normal operation when warm etc.... so if its on the car it must work as it should. Funny though, so cold in UK a cold startup check I would have thought would be an integral check as well... obviously not by what you say.
1999 M Roadster (S50)
Porsche 911 RS hotrod
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

MOT is generally while you wait, so you arrive (the car's warm) and they test it and do the emissions when the car is up to temp. But it must be the same there problem there; how do they get over the problem that the car is hot when it arrives?
elwood158

M roadster S50

Post by elwood158 »

In Melbourne you only need to get it tested when you buy or sell a car. Buyers expect a car to be tested and OK, otherwise the price goes down alot. So, its in the sellers interest to get it tested to maximise their sale price. During ownership, you don't need to get regular testing but if police stop you they can do an on the spot road worthy check and impound your car if somethings obvious like you've modded your car outside of limits, race mufflers, etc.... I only got mine tested as I may sell later this year, just wanted to know what must be done, as opposed to fix everything.

In other cities/states they have regular or annual tests but its like getting a service, I think....you drop it off, leave for a day, pick it up end of day. So, it can be checked cold and warm.
1999 M Roadster (S50)
Porsche 911 RS hotrod
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

I thought the pump was only required for the US market testing - didnt realise it was required in OZ as well...
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

But how do they test something that is only active on cold starts for about 30-60seconds?
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

they probably don't even know that there is one there

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

Maybe it's through the OBD, I think that's why all US cars got the standardised OBDII connector before European cars because it became mandatory their testing over there.
elwood158

M roadster S50

Post by elwood158 »

In Oz, in Melbourne anyway, you dont go to a govt dept for a road check, you go to your local mechanic, even a BMW indy... who know specific cars. An astute buyer or a BMW enthusiast should check you've got a credible road check done. Not via some dodgey bloke who wouldnt know a fiat from an alfa.
But going to a non-bmw mechanic might just get you past that check... as they could miss it.
1999 M Roadster (S50)
Porsche 911 RS hotrod
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Is it a US (S50B30) or a UK (S50B32).

If it is US, you will almost certainly need the pump. If it's a UK spec, you may be able to remove it. There are a lot of UK cars that don't have the pump. My car doesn't have it.
Pingu
elwood158

M roadster S50

Post by elwood158 »

Its a euro or UK spec car. It has the pump. The mechanic has disconnected it for now so it doesn't make that crazy noise.... Its only at point of sale, it must be reconnected or replaced. What you do after that while you own the car, is not tested.
1999 M Roadster (S50)
Porsche 911 RS hotrod