Hazard Warning lights will not turn off

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Snipps30

Z3 roadster 1.9

Hazard Warning lights will not turn off

Post by Snipps30 »

Hi Zeds,

I've owned a few Z3's many years back before getting a Z4 (now long gone)

Anyways, decided to revisit the Z3 and took the plunge buying a "fixer-upper" a few wks back with the idea of rescuing this little fella from the scrap yard.
I drove this car 150(ish) miles home having only seen it on the dark. It had stood still for sometime & limped back feeling a little under the weather.
Once home at 1am I parked the boyo in my garage, window down (to air it) & went to bed. Next day I opened the garage to find the hazards blinking. Thinking the interior sensor had been triggered with an open window I unlocked & locked the car but it didn't stop. I tried disconnecting the battery hoping it would reset but it continued. To stop it, I've had to remove the hazard relay and I obviously have no indicators.

I've had this car interior to pieces now (fully stripped to dry out) and reassembled. I've checked brakes in preperation for its MOT but after reconnecting everything I still have this issue with the hazards.

During my investigation I discovered my passenger seat electric motor was faulty causing a battery drain which was cured temporarily by disconnecting the seat. The alarm system arms & goes off with siren if use the key to unlock but I'm unsure if they have an interior sensor that detects movement.

Has anyone had this issue before with hazards refusing to switch off?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as I'd like to MOT this car this coming wk.

Thanks in advance
Steve
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Re: Hazard Warning lights will not turn off

Post by colb »

I would check the hazard switch sounds like it might have developed an internal fault, disconnect the switch and try a known good one to see if that solves the issue.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Your alarm is going off, but your siren isn't sounding. That's why the hazards are flashing.

I had the same problem. Here is a temporary fix that will allow the car to be moved to a place of safety :wink: ...

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=42998&p=398188

Note: This will stop the hazards from flashing and is an MOT failure as the car is post-1986.

Or you could just disconnect the EWS module and use a key for the doors. You won't have an alarm, but you will still have an immobiliser, as it is a separate system linked to the engine via the key in the ignition.
Last edited by pingu on Sun 09 Apr, 2017 21:23, edited 1 time in total.
Pingu
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

check/disconnect bonnet switch. Its a common cause

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

gookah wrote:check/disconnect bonnet switch. Its a common cause
This makes the alarm go off. My symptoms (and I think the OP's) were that the alarm couldn't be switched off, or the doors unlocked on the fob.
Pingu
Snipps30

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Snipps30 »

colb wrote:I would check the hazard switch sounds like it might have developed an internal fault, disconnect the switch and try a known good one to see if that solves the issue.
Hi Colb,
That was my first thought. I found a thread on the net explaining to test the switch, simply remove it from the circuit, if it's faulty the hazards will stop flashing. They continued to flash. Strangely the car doesn't have any fault codes to display
Snipps30

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Snipps30 »

pingu wrote:Your alarm is going off, but your siren isn't sounding. That's why the hazards are flashing.

I had the same problem. Here is a temporary fix that will allow the car to be moved to a place of safety :wink: ...

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=42998&p=398188

Note: This will stop the hazards from flashing and is an MOT failure as the car is post-1986.

Or you could just disconnect the EWS module and use a key for the doors. You won't have an alarm, but you will still have an immobiliser, as it is a separate system linked to the engine via the key in the ignition.
Hi pingu
Thanks for your reply.
I initially thought the siren wasn't working but I opened the car with the key without pressing the fob & it set off the alarm siren. I've looked at your link, which will be ideal way of ruling the alarm in or out..I think.
Many thanks
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

Too bad it wasn't the switch, sounds like the others are correct suspecting the alarm causing them to flash.
Bonnet switch sounds a possibility, strange the siren isn't sounding when they flash.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Snipps30 wrote:I initially thought the siren wasn't working but I opened the car with the key without pressing the fob & it set off the alarm siren.
If the siren works with the alarm, then it could be the crash module.

AFAIK, there are three ways to turn on the hazards...

1. The switch
2. The alarm
3. The crash module

or possibly a 4th, a short in the wiring to supply the hazard relay.
Pingu
Snipps30

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Snipps30 »

pingu wrote:
Snipps30 wrote:I initially thought the siren wasn't working but I opened the car with the key without pressing the fob & it set off the alarm siren.
If the siren works with the alarm, then it could be the crash module.

AFAIK, there are three ways to turn on the hazards...

1. The switch
2. The alarm
3. The crash module

or possibly a 4th, a short in the wiring to supply the hazard relay.
Where would I find the crash module on the Z3?

I stripped out the interior on this car and discovered a huge amount of water under the carpet. Having said that, it drove back with fully functioning indicators.
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

http://www.porterbility.co.uk/Files/PDF/e36z3_99.pdf

Use Find "crash" and its location is shown on page 310 of the pdf document (7100.0-19 of the wiring diagram)
Pingu
Snipps30

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Snipps30 »

pingu wrote:http://www.porterbility.co.uk/Files/PDF/e36z3_99.pdf

Use Find "crash" and its location is shown on page 310 of the pdf document (7100.0-19 of the wiring diagram)
Thanks for that :)

I've followed your walk throughou and disabled the hazards via the relay which has given me back the inductors. I'll look into this properly tomorrow.
Snipps30

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Snipps30 »

Snipps30 wrote:Hi Zeds,

I've owned a few Z3's many years back before getting a Z4 (now long gone)

Anyways, decided to revisit the Z3 and took the plunge buying a "fixer-upper" a few wks back with the idea of rescuing this little fella from the scrap yard.
I drove this car 150(ish) miles home having only seen it on the dark. It had stood still for sometime & limped back feeling a little under the weather.
Once home at 1am I parked the boyo in my garage, window down (to air it) & went to bed. Next day I opened the garage to find the hazards blinking. Thinking the interior sensor had been triggered with an open window I unlocked & locked the car but it didn't stop. I tried disconnecting the battery hoping it would reset but it continued. To stop it, I've had to remove the hazard relay and I obviously have no indicators.

I've had this car interior to pieces now (fully stripped to dry out) and reassembled. I've checked brakes in preperation for its MOT but after reconnecting everything I still have this issue with the hazards.

During my investigation I discovered my passenger seat electric motor was faulty causing a battery drain which was cured temporarily by disconnecting the seat. The alarm system arms & goes off with siren if use the key to unlock but I'm unsure if they have an interior sensor that detects movement.

Has anyone had this issue before with hazards refusing to switch off?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as I'd like to MOT this car this coming wk.

Thanks in advance
Steve

Thanks for all your input on my query chaps, much appreciated

I ended up getting an offer to sell that car and buy another one exactly the same. So identical my son thought it was the same car at a glance

My quest to be back in a fully functioning Zedder is almost there.