Z3 Chrome pack

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Snipps30

Z3 roadster 1.9

Z3 Chrome pack

Post by Snipps30 »

Hi,

I bought a Z3 in 1999 and added a chrome pack which included the chrome around the windscreen.

My question is.. can you but the chrome around the windscreen as an aftermarket piece? If so, where & how much are they?

Many thanks
Steve
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Z3 Chrome pack

Post by gookah »

showing online as available at

https://www.online-parts.co.uk/bmw-spar ... l-Top.html

51168398505 £47 left
51168398506 £47 right
51168398507 £5 centre

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

Can't decide whether the chrome screen surround looks good, or is too blingy.
lebigmec

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by lebigmec »

lightning wrote:Can't decide whether the chrome screen surround looks good, or is too blingy.
My car had the chrome pack fitted from new. I think it looks good, as it includes the chromed front kidney grills, the windscreen surround, the door handles, the mesh behind the side grills (not the side grills themselves, they're body coloured), and also the rear brake light cover is chromed.
Snipps30

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Snipps30 »

gookah wrote:showing online as available at

51168398505 £47 left
51168398506 £47 right
51168398507 £5 centre
Looks like the windscreen has to come out from that diagram. Is that showing as available from BMW dealers?
Snipps30

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Snipps30 »

lightning wrote:Can't decide whether the chrome screen surround looks good, or is too blingy.
Personal choice I guess, I always liked it, plus it's unique to the Z3 as far as I'm aware
Snipps30

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Snipps30 »

lebigmec wrote:
My car had the chrome pack fitted from new. I think it looks good, as it includes the chromed front kidney grills, the windscreen surround, the door handles, the mesh behind the side grills (not the side grills themselves, they're body coloured), and also the rear brake light cover is chromed.
Between ordering our car and delivery in 1999 they changed the chrome pack to not include the vents. As we'd ordered before the change they included the grills FOC so we scored. Our chrome pack included M-sport chrome gearknob, windscreen surround, vents and door handles.

I love the chrome touches myself
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Snipps30 wrote:
Looks like the windscreen has to come out from that diagram. Is that showing as available from BMW dealers?
That's an exploded view to show the different parts seperately. Don't confuse it with fitting instructions!
Uncle_Clanger
Sponsor 2018

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Uncle_Clanger »

Anybody retrofitted the chrome windscreen surround? Can't seem to get a definitive guide on how they attach and best way to approach.

I know they are self adhesive.. They come with some rivets and clips of some sort also?

I think they look nice on any colour z although I saw one on a mates black Z and it looked really smart.
Uncle_Clanger
Sponsor 2018

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Uncle_Clanger »

lebigmec wrote:

The mesh behind the grills? Are you sure this was part of the factory option? I know some members have sprayed that mesh themselves in silver and I've seen it done in red too. I imagine it adds depth and contrast to the trademark feature of the Z.

Anyone have any photos of this?
Mr Silver

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Mr Silver »

Search for 'Chrome Windscreen Frame'.

Regards
Uncle_Clanger
Sponsor 2018

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Uncle_Clanger »

Mr Silver wrote:Search for 'Chrome Windscreen Frame'.

Regards
Thanks for that, it would seem its a tricky job that needs to be done right to avoid moisture traps...cant say reading that I'm filled with confidence. Probably cost arm and a leg to get it fitted with BMW too.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Snipps30 wrote:My question is.. can you buy the chrome around the windscreen as an aftermarket piece? If so, where & how much are they?
51168398505 £47 left
51168398506 £47 right
51168398507 £5 centre
Snipps30 wrote: Is that showing as available from BMW dealers?

Why not try phoning them

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Uncle_Clanger
Sponsor 2018

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Uncle_Clanger »

gookah wrote:
Snipps30 wrote:My question is.. can you buy the chrome around the windscreen as an aftermarket piece? If so, where & how much are they?
51168398505 £47 left
51168398506 £47 right
51168398507 £5 centre

Why not try phoning them
Gookah is quite right, still available from BMW and reasonably priced really. In fact if you are in the Lincolnshire area Sopers will do it for £86 (zorg discount) but you must collect due to it being damaged easily in the post.

As a matter of interest :squeeze: (I'm not on any recruitment drive) do . net members enjoy any dealership discounts of any kind?

Have you fitted a chrome windscreen frame Gookah?
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Uncle_Clanger wrote:

Nope, just trying to help with the OP's question

lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

I am coming round to chrome trinkets on the Z3.

I fitted the side vents (but with the black mesh from the original vents) and have also fitted chrome door handles.
l have to say l like it. Contrasts well with the Topaz Blue body colour.
Easy to remove if it's ever needed.
Have to decide on the screen surround now.
Snipps30

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Snipps30 »

gookah wrote:
Uncle_Clanger wrote:

Nope, just trying to help with the OP's question

Thanks Gookah, it's on my to-do list. :) Looking to fit rollover bars first
Snipps30

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Snipps30 »

Uncle_Clanger wrote:
gookah wrote:
51168398505 £47 left
51168398506 £47 right
51168398507 £5 centre

Why not try phoning them
Gookah is quite right, still available from BMW and reasonably priced really. In fact if you are in the Lincolnshire area Sopers will do it for £86 (zorg discount) but you must collect due to it being damaged easily in the post.

As a matter of interest :squeeze: (I'm not on any recruitment drive) do . net members enjoy any dealership discounts of any kind?

That's good to know, I'm in Newcastle but I get around.
Snipps30

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Snipps30 »

lightning wrote:I am coming round to chrome trinkets on the Z3.

I fitted the side vents (but with the black mesh from the original vents) and have also fitted chrome door handles.
l have to say l like it. Contrasts well with the Topaz Blue body colour.
Easy to remove if it's ever needed.
Have to decide on the screen surround now.
I've seen a Topaz blue with the windscreen surround, looks great.
lebigmec

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by lebigmec »

Uncle_Clanger wrote:
lebigmec wrote:

The mesh behind the grills? Are you sure this was part of the factory option? I know some members have sprayed that mesh themselves in silver and I've seen it done in red too. I imagine it adds depth and contrast to the trademark feature of the Z.

Anyone have any photos of this?
Yes, I'm certain that this was all part of the factory option. My car is exactly as it left the factory, no mods at all, apart from the BMW stubby sport aerial which I put on a few years ago. I haven't ever figured out how to post a photo on here ( I'm no IT wiz!), or I would show you. There's chrome mesh behind the body coloured side grills. It does look good on my Sterling Grey car. I always think the chrome rear brake light cover looks great too. Of course, I am biased... I love my Z3 & wouldn't ever part with it!