Inherited Z3

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Wiltshiresaint

Z3 roadster 1.8

Inherited Z3

Post by Wiltshiresaint »

Hi everyone,

I've just joined the forum as I've inherited a 1997 Z3 with only 70k miles on the clock, but it needs a little TLC.

The car has been standing for about 6 years. Half of this was under cover, half open to the elements. It's mechanically pretty sound - I've had it MOT'd and although it failed it wasn't on anything major and is entirely fixable. It hasn't been serviced for many years though so I'm guessing that's also a key step once the worked required to get it through it's MOT has been done. It also has the battery 'drain' problem, primarily through underuse I guess, but reading the forums the solution here is usage and a trickle charger I believe.

What's more of an issue is damage done through underuse and wear and tear.

The tyre's need replacing for starters. The hood is shot. The rear of the seat well has about 1/2 inch of water in it where the hood leaks. I don't believe this is through any one hole or seal, it just looks like the hood has lost it's weatherproofing over the years. The window in the hood has also clouded over. The whole of the car smells musty, the leather upholstery is looking grim (although not worn out) and things like the speaker grills in the doors are starting to show signs of rust. The plastic interior fascias and panels also show signs of 'spotting' for want of a better word - again, through damp I suspect. Lastly, one of the door handles has pulled away from the door itself.

Externally the car looks in good nick though, although the wheels are starting to show signs of rust/pitting(?). There's only a couple of minor scratches and with a really good clean the paintwork is pretty good considering it's 20 years old.

I want to get the car back on the road AND looking great again. I'm guessing my priority should be a new hood, to make the car watertight again? Then sort out the battery issue and get it MOT'd and runnable again. After that the other issues are fixable with a little more money and effort? I guess at this stage I'm looking for a little reassurance that I don't have to spend £1,000s and £1,000s to achieve what I'm after.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
pingu

M roadster S50

Re: Inherited Z3

Post by pingu »

Wiltshiresaint wrote:I guess at this stage I'm looking for a little reassurance that I don't have to spend £1,000s and £1,000s to achieve what I'm after.
Hi and welcome.

It is a very good basis for a project for someone. Project cars are very rarely profitable. I see them as projects for the enjoyment of the project.

If you DIY, it will be many hours of work (or many beer tokens for your mates as you call in favours :P ) and £100s. If you have to pay to get the jobs done it will be £1000s.

To me, taking on the job would be more determined by my emotional link to the car than anything else.

If I were just doing it to sell it, do the bare minimum to make it legal and safe to sell and it's then someone else's problem.
Pingu
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Double Post :head:
Last edited by pingu on Tue 25 Apr, 2017 12:58, edited 1 time in total.
Pingu
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Triple Post :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce:
Pingu
John Wilson

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by John Wilson »

Welcome to the forum. I was wondering if the roof could just be reproofed. It doesnt look generally worn and the window looks prety good, without the usual fold across the middle. The window can be polished up with Maguiars PlastX. That said, there does seem to be a gap at the window. Is it just not closed up properly? Puddles of water inside are a bit worrying though. It's usually inside the boot gets water in it from the arial grommet pereshing so a check to see thats all dry is worth it. Good luck with it. It'll look good with just a few bottles of products and some elbow grease.
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

Looks like a good project car that only needs a good clean and a bit of fettling to get it back to a good standard.
The hood may still be good, I would give it a good clean and re proof it, either using one of the soft top kits available or using a soap soloution and follow that up with a waterproofer, I have good results using Fabsil tent proofer. I use soap flakes as the detergent followed by a good rinse with water.
Get the seats out and remove the carpets for cleaning and drying as soon as you can. Need to check the fit of the hood post cleaning and adjust if required, threads on this if you search the forum.
Use a good leather cleaner on the seats whilst you have them out.
Good clean of all the interior should get rid of the damp staining on the surfaces.
Treat all the rubber door and window/hood seals with http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/engine-an ... _1595.html
Also available on Amazon.
The radio speaker grills can be removed, cleaned and sprayed with black aerosol.
Treat the engine and gearbox and Diff to oil changes and filter, stick a new fuel filter on it as well.
Check and clean all the brakes, change pads if required, maybe discs as well if they need it.
At the end of that you will know much more about the car and have peace of mind that all these things have been done.
As to the wheels if steel then you should be able to pick up a set of decent alloys for reasonable outlay, Ebay has loads on usually.
Keep us updated on the progress
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
Wiltshiresaint

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Wiltshiresaint »

Thanks for the quick responses everyone.

This is definitely a 'do it up and enjoy it' project rather than a quick 'get it ready to sell' one.

Already some really great help suggested, and an order for hood waterproofer has been placed! As suggested I'll post my progress in the forum :-)
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

as above the roof looks ok just clean and reproof, I would take the seats out as there might be a lot of water underneath , good clean the seats when out warm water and a nail brush let them dry out slowly not in front of a fire, then use a leather cream to rub in
peterz3
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

just seen a post on face book about autoglim leather cleaner I've used it with good results
peterz3
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

Hi and welcome. It looks like it will be a very nice Zed when you've finished.

Be careful when taking the seats out; you need to keep the battery connected to move the seats backwards/forwards to get at the fixings, etc. Be careful not to put the key in the ignition and turn it whilst the seats are out or the seat belt warning (occupation sensor) will be triggered - some people put masking tape over the ignition switch just to make sure.
Hers: Z4 2.0i Sp --------------------- His: Z3 2.8
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

As everyone has said - very much a saveable car - welcome to the mad house.

with regards the roof - clean it as people say and ensure the drain holes are clear. Also remove the back carpet under the water - if any water is comign in from there you will see the trails. you will need to reseal it - pretty easy just need to unbolt the roof (11 screws)

For the rest of the interior look in the knowledge base as discussed to remove it all and dry the carpets. It will take a weekend roughly but worth doing and with everything out you can have a hose on the outside of the car to see all leaks... they are all fixable - just depends where they are.

Regarding the engine - yeah, a good service (home one will do - check the knowledge base again) and check the air hoses for leaks and cracks.

Most of all enjoy it - any problems, PM me
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
spurs fan in a coupe

Z3 coupe 2.8

Post by spurs fan in a coupe »

I break a few Z3s, I'm just up the M3/M4 in Woking, I have a Boston Green in for breaking (with hardtop) and a couple of nice roofs at the minute too, plenty of nice wheels/tyres also.

Cheers, welcome, good luck
we expres: " He did hear the bells ringing, but doesnt know where where the clapper hangs".
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

If you're in Wiltshire as per your forum name you're welcome to pop over to me with the car as I'm in Swindon. Especially if the 'saint' part indicates you are a fellow Southampton fan ;)

I have a couple of projects on the go currently including an identical car for my other half's son. I also break Z3s so plenty of parts available if you need them.

I have a spare set of the pepperpot wheels with useable tyres that you are welcome to have for free. I have just taken them off my project car as I think they are a) horrible and b) too small at 15"!!

I have a couple of other sets in 16" if you want something a bit more befitting the car.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
Geoff Crispin

Z3 coupe 3.0i

Post by Geoff Crispin »

Interesting reading your post that you are in Swindon and that you break Zeds I am in Somerset and wondering if you know about central locking and remotes which I am having problems with which you may know how to remedy Geoff :)
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Geoff Crispin wrote:Interesting reading your post that you are in Swindon and that you break Zeds I am in Somerset and wondering if you know about central locking and remotes which I am having problems with which you may know how to remedy Geoff :)
I'm sure if you start a thread explaining your woes we can help you out. :D
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

BladeRunner919 wrote:
Geoff Crispin wrote:Interesting reading your post that you are in Swindon and that you break Zeds I am in Somerset and wondering if you know about central locking and remotes which I am having problems with which you may know how to remedy Geoff :)
I'm sure if you start a thread explaining your woes we can help you out. :D
BladeRunner is right. Better off tapping into the collective knowledge of the forum rather than rely on me. I can help with many things knowledge wise but not expert on central locking/remotes. Give me a shout if I can help with any spares though. 2 complete cars here either on the shelf already or waiting to come off the car - less of course what's been sold.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
metalmickey

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by metalmickey »

Hi
Regarding battery drainage problem.
You should check the actuator and solenoid functions. If the remote central locking isn't locking the either of the two doors or boot lid this could mean that an actuator has failed. Should this be the case then there will be an issue with power draining from the battery. It is the same as leaving the side lights on without the engine running. I have this problem at the moment and I have to drive the car everyday to maintain sufficient charge to turn the engine over. I understand that it is a common problem with BMWs and VWs.
I am going to attempt to replace the actuator on the passenger door lock mechanism using the "how to" guide on the knowledge base.
Good luck with your project. Once complete you will have a lovely fun car to drive.
Mike
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I think it's far more likely you just have an old battery than a parasitic drain. Batteries do not respond well to being just left unused, so I'd consider this before potentially wasting time looking for a problem that isn't there.
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

Welcome, and when sorted enjoy it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

saltcoatsbhoy

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by saltcoatsbhoy »

A bit off topic but could anyone point me to a pic of the drainage holes mentioned above?
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

If l were you l would take up the very kind offer of help from Mrscalex, above.
He also offered a free set of wheels so it would be well worth a trip to see him, in my opinion. He's just done an engine change on a Z3 2.2 so should be able to help you out with any technical queries.
pingu

M roadster S50

Re: Inherited Z3 central locking problems

Post by pingu »

Geoff Crispin wrote:Thanks for your replies I have repaired two wires in loom of doom and now sometime all lock from either door or boot and sometime they don't. Yesterday went out parked up locked from drivers door and all worked, returned tro car put key in drivers door and nothing happened no noise nothing so then put key in boot operated lock but did not sound right then went back to drivers door and it unlocked with boot but passenger door still locked,
When I purchased car 18months ago it did not come with a remote but I have one now but needs to be recoded somehow ?
It seems that depends on how I lock or unlock it is ie from where and it is not always the same result.
Could it be a wire problem or the actuator ?
Have you posted this in the correct thread?
Pingu
Geoff Crispin

Z3 coupe 3.0i

Post by Geoff Crispin »

No it started as a comment to a response on this thread so maybe the moderator would be good enough to move it for me, please :wink:
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Geoff Crispin wrote:No it started as a comment to a response on this thread so maybe the moderator would be good enough to move it for me, please :wink:

I've started a new thread for you, viewtopic.php?f=5&t=45143&p=416019#p416019
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Geoff Crispin

Z3 coupe 3.0i

Post by Geoff Crispin »

Thanks Gazza