2002 Z3 Bonnet release.

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
yme402

Z3 roadster 2.2i

2002 Z3 Bonnet release.

Post by yme402 »

Think I might be Scotlands luckiest man.......
Bonnet catch has been pretty lousy since I got the car 2 years ago, however yesterday it failed and then subsequently snapped off at the interior handle.
On looking at the forum, a locked down bonnet is a nightmare to open so I am vary grateful that I have managed to get it open by tugging on the handle (before it snapped) with soneone pushing down on the bonnet to release pressure on the catches (Always worth a shot before more drastic action).
I now need to buy a new bonnet release cable kit. Any suggestions of the best place to buy it from (Other than a main dealer as I am not a wealthy man!)

Thanks
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Re: 2002 Z3 Bonnet release.

Post by therealdb1 »

For items like this it is always worth calling a main dealer first sometimes they can surprise you and the parts can be just as cheap if not cheaper than some Chinese copy from Ebay that does not fit properly.
From memory, and it is probably 3 or 4 years ago, I got both cables and both underbonnet latches from BMW for less than £30.
If you need the actual handle it may be worth talking to spurs fan in a coupe or mrscalex as they are often breaking Z3's and possibly have several laying around.
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

The only sensible source is the main dealer. Cost £30 ish for the main cable which includes the handle. I looked into making my own up but I don't think it's viable.

However you also need to look into why it snapped. The 2 front panel latches become stiff over time and may be responsible for the cable snapping. In any case these are a good thing to replace as they may well be needed before you restore a positive action to the release.

They are £10 each from a dealer. There is a cable that goes between the two and that is also £10. You may well get away with not replacing that.

BMW refer to the cables as Bowden cables. A posh word for what is essentially a bicycle brake cable.

I'm happy to sell you a second-hand cable for £10 (with handle) plus postage but it may prove to be a false economy and I can't warrant it against being stretched. The front panel catches I think I have a pair but by the time postage has been factored it's not worth it compared with the benefit 2 new ones will bring for £20.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I'm buying all genuine parts from here now: http://shop.bmw-classic.de/index-Classi ... U-EUR.html

Good prices, quick delivery, genuine parts directly from BMW, not having to deal with snotty-nosed muppets at Sytner in Maidenhead. Win, win.
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Wow. Didn't know about that web site. Is it BMW themselves?
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Yes, it is.
andy & fonz

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by andy & fonz »

Hi
got mine from main dealer catch ( first one on scuttle ) both cables less than £35