How to replace Bonnet release on RHD Z3

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
yme402

Z3 roadster 2.2i

How to replace Bonnet release on RHD Z3

Post by yme402 »

Further to an earlier post I am going to replace the whole bonnet release mechanism on my Z3.
Are there any 'how to' guides out there? I can see plenty for Z3 LHD models which have the release handle on the other side, or for an E36 3 Series, however nothing for a RHD Z3.
Any help would be great.
Cheers Tony.
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: How to replace Bonnet release on RHD Z3

Post by mrscalex »

To the level of detail you need to actually do the job - I believe not as I've checked previously.

It's a fiddly, irritating job which drove me mad.

The best advice I can give is to make very careful notes of how it goes together before you remove the old. In particular where the cable routes and how it attaches to the latches. Also getting the grommet to sit right through the bulkhead is fiddly. Be careful not to pull the gold lock ring off as it's a complete b*gger to get back.

It's a bit easier if you don't have air con. Otherwise the nearside headlamp has to come out. The drivers footwell trim has to come out on all cars.

If you don't get it right first time and the bonnet gets stuck down you may have to remove a front grill. So think ahead and attach an emergency cable tie release to the central Bowden cable which will help you out until you're sure it's all working.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)