Audio System Upgrade in M Roadster

Head units and speakers, MP3 and CD changers, GPS and SatNav, plus PDAs, mobile phones, Bluetooth, TalkAbouts...
benjylafond

M roadster S54

Audio System Upgrade in M Roadster

Post by benjylafond »

I've read every thread on this forum, bimmerfest & bimmerforum (along with a bunch of threads on various Porsche and Mercedes forums) trying to decide what head unit to get. My criteria, in order of priority are - 1) MOST IMPORTANT BY FAR - true handsfree bluetooth calling (didn't want to have to touch my phone at all or enter numbers on head unit; 2) clean looks - not necessarily OEM, but none of the bling I would have loved when I was a teenager; 3) usb slot/sd card for music.

Loved the look of the Becker units and found several available, but after reading all of the forums, not happy with the idea I have to enter phone numbers I call from my phone.

Bought the Continental TR7412UB (http://www.continental-automotive.com/w ... th_en.html) because I loved how OEM it looked. Still waiting on it to come in. Unfortunately after I pulled the trigger I found a thread on either the Rennlist Porsche forum or MBWorld forum that said how the bluetooth calling is only handsfree for incoming calls, no access to phonebook from headunit for calling out. Looks like I'll be selling it at a discount here in the U.S. when I get it.

Bought the Parrot Asteroid Classic. The reviews and comments on forums aren't glowing about the android operating system, but it appears from the review that it has the best hands-free calling of the aftermarket head units that is available. Additionally, you can front load an SD card with music and it has 4 usb ports on the back to connect ipod, etc. too. Finally, even though it isn't OEM looking, based on Martini's pick in an earlier head unit thread, it is a fairly clean looking aftermarket unit. Also, a friend of mine who is an electical engineer thinks he may be able to modify it to add amber lighting to match the BMW lighting (I'll let you know how that goes).

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone on the forum for the comments, suggestions in the "recommend a head unit" thread as they were very helpful and lead me to a bunch of other threads that helped me finalize my decision.

Further upgrades are as follows: (with the exception of the head unit - none of the upgrades will be visible)
Rockford Fosgate 600x5 5-channel amp
Infiniti Kappa 5.25 components (for kick panels and door tweeters)
Infiniti 4 inch Reference Series speakers behind seats (will use the crossover capability of amp to filter out low base)
8 Inch Pioneer-TS-SW2002D2 2-ohm-Shallow-Mount-Car-Subwoofer - the sub will go in the compartment where the HK 6.5 sub is. In my first M roadster, I pulled the HK sub and replaced it with a JL Audio 8 inch 2 ohm sub (I built a box that fit inside the sub compartment (not sticking out of the top like the IntegralAudio setup - not optimal cubic air mass for the sub, but the bass was a huge improvement over the HK subwoofer). Because I'm getting old and lazy and it was a pain in the a*** to get the box I built last time in the compartment, when I get the HK sub out of the compartment, I'm going to measure the compartment to see if this Pioneer box designed for the Pioneer sub I bought will fit in the compartment (even if I have to modify it a little bit) (link to box http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130DSW200D ... l?tp=61651).

Will post pictures as I go.
tigerdog

Z3 roadster 2.3

Re: Audio System Upgrade in M Roadster

Post by tigerdog »

I know I'm responding to a thread that's over a year old, but I'd love to know how this effort turned out. I also bought the Conti head unit and, also, am somewhat disappointed. The bluetooth is OK; I use Android auto and "OK Google" for dialing anyway, but the lack of basic functions like balance/fader and tone controls is a real downer. Someone has removed the factory woofer from my car - I'd appreciate knowing how you ended up filling this role in your system.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Audio System Upgrade in M Roadster

Post by BladeRunner919 »

tigerdog wrote:I know I'm responding to a thread that's over a year old, but I'd love to know how this effort turned out. I also bought the Conti head unit and, also, am somewhat disappointed. The bluetooth is OK; I use Android auto and "OK Google" for dialing anyway, but the lack of basic functions like balance/fader and tone controls is a real downer. Someone has removed the factory woofer from my car - I'd appreciate knowing how you ended up filling this role in your system.
The OP only made that one post on the forum and hasn't visited since 2016, so we may never find out! Welcome to the forum, though - don't let this be a one-post-only visit as well!