Passenger door won't open

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Mick

Z3 roadster 2.0

Passenger door won't open

Post by Mick »

Catch 22! Passenger door locked as actuator stopped working. I have seen the post on how to replace the actuator but I cannot open the door to take the door card off!
Has anybody got any tips on how to do this when the actuator is not working??
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Passenger door won't open

Post by alec.m »

I did a search in the search box and came up with this post
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=38567&p=358805&hili ... ut#p358805
There`s some interesting theories about opening the door plus it`s possible to get the door card off but not a lot of detail on that. Hope this helps.
dazthephot

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by dazthephot »

The door should still open from the inside as it's a mechanical lock. Doesn't it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

dazthephot wrote:The door should still open from the inside as it's a mechanical lock. Doesn't it?

If it's been locked with the alarm fob then it double locks and the door can't be opened from the inside.
dazthephot

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by dazthephot »

ah right, ta.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Are you absolutely sure its a mechanical problem with the door lock. A common problem is the batch of 8 or so wires which go through the rear bootlid. These are mainly alarm/central locking related and "stress fracture" with age causing an "open circuit" and for the relevant fuses to blow. They tend to break one by one. Just re-soldered all mine and got the boot light, central locking and boot central locking all up and running again. :)
Mick

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Mick »

Thanks guys will re check wiring loom then try diss connecting battery!
Mick

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Mick »

Checked wiring loom and found nicks in a couple of wires so put electrical tape on them. Checked fuses all OK. Tried with battery disconnected, tried new battery in key fob, tried inside and outside door latches together, window up window down, squirted WD down window slit all to no avail. Must be actuator. Have door card half off but looks like I may have to damage it to get to actuator unless any further tips? :head:
dazthephot

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by dazthephot »

It's a real **** to get to but if you can take off the internal door handle then work your arm in to reach the actual lock mechanism you might just be able to push up the arm the links the door pin. Maybe. With the door card prised off as much as you can.

Mick

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Mick »

Will try a bit of contorsonism if the old bones can take it!!
dazthephot

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by dazthephot »

Ha ha it will be a right cirque de soleil too!

Mick

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Mick »

YESSS!! you can take the door card out if the door is permanently locked. Take the passenger seat out and roof down to give you room to work then take all of the bits off as per door card removal then after a lot of huffing and wiggling about managed to get it out with out any damage. Some of the clips may pull off the card as you are pulling from funny angles but they can always be glued back on.
Hopefully I can now get to the actuator and have a look at it. Don't know if it can be tested or just replaced? I would expect it just needs a voltage applied to it some where? :P
dazthephot

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by dazthephot »

It's a faff but you can get the actuator off the lock without taking the lock out. Perhaps if you get it off you can manually move the centre spigot enough to unlock the door?? Maybe.

Mick

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Mick »

Yipee!!

After weeks of fiddling. Finally had another go this afternoon and after five minutes......click.....and the door opened!!

So now have door lock out and actuator off. Just have to find another actuator.

That was after the garage quoting me between £500 and £1,000 as they would have to destroy the lock!

Just shows what a little persistence can do. The :lol: :lol: ese old ladies just need a bit of patience!! 😀😁😂
dazthephot

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by dazthephot »

Well done for sticking with it. I'm currently working with a £25 new actuator from Ebay. Chinese copy I reckon but works fine if a little slower than the passenger side.
You can get an oem one for about £125 I think or a better copy for about £50. I took a punt on the Chinese. Still working

Mick

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Mick »

Thanks for the info daz I might try one of those.