Speaker Advice Please

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
z3ddie

Z3 roadster 2.8

Speaker Advice Please

Post by z3ddie »

So having fully refurbished the interior with donor seats and carpets I am now back in love with it after all the water damage last year.
However, the speakers now sound like a 1950's Dansette so need to address this, so I was wondering if anyone had any good recommendations for the footwell and behind the seats.
The layout is standard with no sub-woofer in the small storage box and the head unit is a decent Sony CD, but thinking of upgrading that to a DAB as don't use CD's anymore.

Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Speaker Advice Please

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I replaced the speakers in my XK8 with Pioneer ones, as part of an upgrade. I didn't want to spend crazy money, and I have to say I'm very happy with them. I think that making sure the speakers are a good match for the output of the stereo is as important as anything else - for example, expensive speakers that are underdriven by the stereo would be a waste of money as they'd probably sound terrible.
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

Rockford Fosgate do a good range of replacement car speakers and not too expensive. I fitted them in my Land Rover and the sound quality is very good.
But any branded two way concentric speaker costing over about £50 per pair will be fine.
Most car audio units put out about 50w per channel RMS and most aftermarket speakers are designed around that kind of power, unless you go for the component speakers with amps where some big numbers are quoted.
MarkAP68

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by MarkAP68 »

I replaced mine with some from halfords (orange coloured ones) and the difference was amazing.
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

Yep, like l said any decent branded speaker is going to be fine.
savagenoize

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by savagenoize »

I've replaced mine with Hertz Dieci range front, rear and tweeters, way way better and all fitted pretty nicely. Had to make the front mountings slots instead of holes but no problem to do and added a bit of sound insulation in the well behind too.