What's that noise ! Common part failure

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
nkfb1

Z3 roadster 2.8

What's that noise ! Common part failure

Post by nkfb1 »

Thought I'd share a recent problem. I have had this really annoying whining type noise for about 18 months. It was coming from the engine bay and only between 1750 and 3000 revs. It only did this under load so never when static.. Thought it might have been a belt or alternator bearing . Then looked at clutch bearing possibilities.... nope ruled.out.Vanois nope not that either. Mechanics including dealer and very exp. . Indy could not figure it out. ..
Well I happened to notice when cleaning what I thought was a small tear in the tube elbow that directly fits
into the throttle body. It is the last connecting tube section running from the air filter box and has a small secondary tube also running off it into the throttle area.
Replaced it and voila noise gone. There was a large tear in the small tube which is hidden due to how and where fitted.
The Bmw dealer said it was a common fault on z3 and z4 so they kept them in Stock. £13. Called a tube elbow. My part no was B13541435627. Fiddly to fit 45 mins and you need a mini socket to release the hose clips.
Hope this helps someone else. !
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Re: What's that noise ! Common part failure

Post by therealdb1 »

A very common failure indeed although slightly unusual symptoms.
Normally you would notice running problems rather than a noise due to unmetered air getting into the engine.
At least you are a happy bunny now and you did the right thing getting a genuine BMW part. :D
There are lots of copy parts around that do not always quite fit correctly and actually cost more to buy than the genuine item from a franchised stealer!
nkfb1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: What's that noise ! Common part failure

Post by nkfb1 »

There was no noticeable performance issue which I agree you would thinks would have been obvious. Having fixed it it does seem more surely though. Happy days ..