HELP Advice on selling

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
tom_sk

Z3 roadster 2.2i

HELP Advice on selling

Post by tom_sk »

A very sad time for me as I have reluctantly decided that I have to part company with my Z3 after over 6 marvellous years of ownership. Osteoarthritis in my knees has got so painful, particularly in my left one, that a journey of more than about 20 miles has ceased to be a pleasure. My cherished e39 5 Series that I bought around the same time will have to go too and I'll be buying one with an auto box.

My Z is a 2.2, in really good nick, 'lowish' mileage (42k) and has a few mods (M seats-with matching door card inserts-, chrome gills, 'Storm'-type gear knob and matching handbrake lever).

My question to you lovely lads & lasses is this: Bearing in mind it's overall condition, would it be more attractive to a buyer if it was 'original'?

I have kept all the parts so could put them back (and offer the mods on this site!). I will have to make a decision soon as now is a good time to sell and I couldn't bear to see it in the garage for another winter!

I would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Thanks, Ian
2001 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver/Blue Leather (left home :bawl: ) and his big brother 2002 e39 2.2 Titan Silver/Grey Leather (leaving soon :bawl: :bawl: )
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Re: HELP Advice on selling

Post by colb »

I would sell it as is with your mods and sell the original stuff, bound to find buyers for the car and parts.
The low mileage is a selling feature can you back it up with service MOT history?
Loads on ebay so stiff competition out there you need to list everything you have done to the car together with service history to make it attractive. Good pictures are also a must. As to price do some research as to what a comparable car sold for.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

swap the parts back and sell as original then sell on the extras. More money to be made that way from people that are actually looking for the extras.
If they are left fitted in the car, the buyer of the car may not be that bothered they are in, or even appreciate them and you will get more people after the extras (and willing to pay more) than the bog standard bits.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
tom_sk

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by tom_sk »

@colb, @gookah thanks very much - just what I was hoping for, two opposing views! Perhaps I should have set up a Poll :)
Either way, SWMBO will be glad not to have to climb over seats and doorcards to get to the cupboards in the spare bedroom!
2001 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver/Blue Leather (left home :bawl: ) and his big brother 2002 e39 2.2 Titan Silver/Grey Leather (leaving soon :bawl: :bawl: )
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

I suppose it depends on how much effort you want to put into selling it and what you want to recoup if you put everything back to standard and sold the special bits. It's probably an age thing with me saying sell as is couldn't really be bothered to spend time changing everything. Maybe your dodgy knees will be a decider?
Will you be replacing it with an automatic, if so swap the parts for putting on the replacement.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
tom_sk

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by tom_sk »

colb wrote: Fri 07 Jul, 2017 17:02 ...Will you be replacing it with an automatic, if so swap the parts for putting on the replacement.
No, won't be replacing the zed with an auto. I know some people have them but for me you get a lot more from them with a manual box. Really need four seats so will sell both BMWs and get something to replace them both i.e. 200+ bhp and auto box with paddles. Have been looking at Jaguar XF 3-0 but a bit out of my price range at the moment!
Last edited by tom_sk on Fri 07 Jul, 2017 18:25, edited 1 time in total.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

tom_sk wrote: Fri 07 Jul, 2017 15:55 @colb, @gookah thanks very much - just what I was hoping for, two opposing views! Perhaps I should have set up a Poll :)
Either way, SWMBO will be glad not to have to climb over seats and doorcards to get to the cupboards in the spare bedroom!
happy to help..... :roll:

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
srichards

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by srichards »

If it's any help I sold my Z3 and ended up replacing it with a 325i convertible tin top automatic. Only thing I don't like are the leather seats as they're very sweaty. The z3 seats were much better in that respect. It's a 3 litre but not the 330 so they're overlooked.

It's a bit of a fat oaf but it's far more laid back than a z3. Boot isn't great unless you have the roof up and the roof stowage thingy out of the way. Then it's quite reasonable.
tom_sk

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by tom_sk »

@srichards Yes, a bit different from a Z3!

What I would really like is a 5 series like mine and in the same condition (but auto box of course and 2.5/3.0 l)

Problem is, to get one as good as mine they are few and far between and if at all decent they are usually with a dealer and on at unbelievable prices!
Which is very galling because I will probably struggle to sell mine for more than peanuts :(
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

I would go with returning the car to standard. l don't think the extras will increase the value/desirability, and it may even discourage buyers who don't know about Z3's.
As in

"It's got different seats fitted, what does that mean....?"
tom_sk

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by tom_sk »

lightning wrote: Thu 27 Jul, 2017 07:53 I would go with returning the car to standard....
Yes, that's what I've decided. Spent yesterday swapping seats and gills. Will leave gear knob/handbrake lever as I can't find originals at the moment -I know they're somewhere in the garage!

Today I'm giving it a clean/check over etc. in between the showers and hope to get some pics and get an advert up by the weekend.

I'll probably put parts up at the same time so any prospective buyer (hope I get one or two!) can have first dibs.

Cheers, Ian
Bananasport

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Bananasport »

Hi I would be interested in buying the Storm gear knob & hand brake trim What price are you thinking?
TaffDaddy

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by TaffDaddy »

Ian,

How much are you thinking of putting it up for? A colleague of mine is after his first zed.

David
stevov

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by stevov »

Would have left the seats. Big selling point IMHO. One of the first things I look for as the standard seats for me are an immediate no.
tom_sk

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by tom_sk »

Bananasport wrote: Thu 27 Jul, 2017 19:58 Hi I would be interested in buying the Storm gear knob & hand brake trim What price are you thinking?
If you see my previous post, I will leave them on as I can't find the originals. :)
tom_sk

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by tom_sk »

TaffDaddy wrote: Thu 27 Jul, 2017 20:56 Ian,
How much are you thinking of putting it up for? A colleague of mine is after his first zed.
David
Undecided atm. Will have to make a decision soon. Having another look on sales sites tonight :)
tom_sk

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by tom_sk »

stevov wrote: Thu 27 Jul, 2017 21:46 Would have left the seats. Big selling point IMHO. One of the first things I look for as the standard seats for me are an immediate no.
You might be right! After I'd swapped them I had second thoughts! Nearly changed them back but it was a bit of a tussle as I had swapped bases and didn't fancy doing it all over again!

I will still have the M seats so can offer them to a prospective buyer - may be a deal clincher :)
tom_sk

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by tom_sk »

:) Haha – thread resurrection and update!

When it came to the crunch I wasn’t ready to part with Zed, so decided to look at all other options.

1. Badgered my GP until he caved in and sent me for scans on my knees. Verdict was that left one would need completely replacing but not top priority so looking 2/3 years ahead. Consultant could guarantee virtually pain-free but likely to be less flexible (maybe struggle to get in Zed never mind drive it! So…...

2. Looked at renting decent garage/storage nearby and keeping her. Quite pricey and really, what’s the point? – a car needs to be driven and enjoyed! So…….

3. Tried to persuade both of my kids to take her on at v. low price as long as I was on the insurance as a named driver so I could take her for a blast whenever I visited. Neither very keen and live in inner city areas with no off street parking. I didn’t want Zed to spend the rest of her days out in the cold & wet so was relieved when they said no! So……

4. As by now winter was upon me I tucked her back up in the garage with the promise I would find her a good home in the spring. That time has now come!

This weekend I will be sorting out my ad and uploading photos to a hosting site. There’s one or two decisions to be made which I will put in a new thread for your comments please. I’ll edit and add the link here.

EDIT viewtopic.php?f=5&t=45645

Happy zedding
Ian