Advice needed

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Mick

Z3 roadster 2.0

Advice needed

Post by Mick »

Hi Gents
The old girl started missing a couple of weeks ago so thought I had better change the plugs. Seemed OK for a couple of weeks then started again over the weekend so thought it must be one of the coils. But which one? Process of elimination.

Also noticed a tapping noise. When I looked under the bonnet found to be coming from a cylindrical thingy on the left hand side front of engine. Managed to take the top off but apart from a small piece of foam could not go any further. There is a small rubber pipe leading off from this that seems to be perished. Wondered if this could be related to the missing problem?

Tried to post a picture but would not upload as it said it was too big and I am not very technical. Prefer getting my hands dirty! Any advice welcome
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Re: Advice needed

Post by colb »

Might be an idea to show what engine you have, I see your profile list your car as a year 2000 2.0 litre.
Not sure what you are describing as the round thing on the left side of the engine without a picture of what you are looking at.
Check all rubber pipes for splits that could be introducing unmetered air into the system replace any that show signs of deterioration.

Have a look at Real OEM for a picture of the bit your looking at, could it be one of these bits?
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... Id=11_6225

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... Id=11_2344
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
Mick

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Mick »

Yes i tried to post a picture but could not as said it was too large.

I have a 6 cylinder 2 litre z3 year 2000. It looks from the diagram that you posted that it is an air pump. Can this be dismantled? One of the rubber pipes coming off this looks suspect (deteriorating). I suppose this could cause missing?

When the fault appears it sounds like it is only firing on five cylinders then when you switch off and restart it runs fine, but definitely getting worse
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by therealdb1 »

The air pump only operates for about a minute after start up and its sole function is to blow fresh air into the exhaust to meet some mamby pamby American legislation not applicable to the UK.
In fact now they are starting to age and cause hassle many British drivers blank off the port in the manifold and throw the pump into a skip!
There are many threads of what to do on this Forum.
I would not expect this to be the cause of your mis-fire.
The first thing to do is connect up INPA and find out if the mis-fire is always on the same cylinder or if it is affecting all 6.
That would give a clue as to where to start looking next.
Mick

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Mick »

OK thought it might not be that. I bought a new hose anyhow so will fit. Probably one of the coils so will have to look further in to this.
Thanks for the info.
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

Code reader will indicate which cylinder is misfiring, if you don't have access to BMW INPA then try a generic code reader to see what codes the car has set. Cheapest way to read codes is to invest in a ELM327 Interface and a free App on a mobile phone,
I use Dash Command with the Wi-Fi ELM 327 interface. You can download an App like Dash Command onto your phone from the internet.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELM327-WIFI-W ... Sw3mdZdyMj

http://www.palmerperformance.com/products/dashcommand/

Once you have the codes search the internet for the meanings or ask on here.

Best investment you will ever make, rather than pay out to a garage to get codes read.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V