Footwell Speakers Not Working

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
z3ddie

Z3 roadster 2.8

Footwell Speakers Not Working

Post by z3ddie »

I have already searched and not found anything to solve the problem of the footwell speakers not working.
I have a donor left hand speaker with the amp kindly supplied by a forum member and swapped it out but still nothing from the speakers.
The head unit is fine as I tried it in my friends car so any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.
The door tweeters and behind seats work fine so this has really got me scratching my head
z3ddie

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Footwell Speakers Not Working

Post by z3ddie »

Forgot to add the radio is not working either
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

Need to check fuse that powers the radio if its not working, once satisfied you have power at the radio + connection check out the speaker connections at the rear of the radio head and at each of the speakers. You should find the fuse in the fuse box under the bonnet, also check for a fuse behind the radio. Also make sure the radio earth connection is ok.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
z3ddie

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by z3ddie »

Thanks but checked all of that and they are all sound so still at a loss
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

If the radio works in another car then I would think you have no power on the loom in your car. Check with a meter or a test light with the ignition on at the accessory position and see if it has 12v on the radio feed. If there is no power and the fuse is ok then look for a break in the feed wire. If the fuse looks ok change it out for another one just in case it looks good but isn't.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Sounds like neither if the remote control wires are connected. There is one that operates the relay in the footwell amp, and another that supplies power to the aerial amplifier. I had the footwell speaker problem and just had to mate some additional bullets in my wiring loom - though this may have been aided by having a similar unit fitted previously.

Cheers R.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc