Driveway Security

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
EDnSKY

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Driveway Security

Post by EDnSKY »

Hi all,

Ed the zed won't fit in my garage :head: so has to stay on the driveway. Can I ask what security measures other members take to protect their loved one? I already have CCTV and was looking at a Bulldog security post.

cheers

EDnSKY
ChrisXL

M roadster S50

Post by ChrisXL »

Member of Team Lauterbrunnen
http://www.fnbc.nl/
dicko58

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by dicko58 »

Ed, I think living in Westhoughton you will need armed security guards!! I can joke as I am a former resident of Blackrod.
EDnSKY

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by EDnSKY »

Hey dicko,

reply from the missus :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :roflmao:
We used to live in Atherton so Westhoughton is posh to us !!!

EDnSKY
dicko58

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by dicko58 »

Ha Ha, guess so,!!

I live up in Morayshire, Scotland now, so it's a little quieter that down there.
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

My Zed gets boxed in between the house and the surrounding hedge. Usually other cars park behind it keeping it totally boxed in. Now, this can be a pain at times when I try and get her out, but at least she's totally hidden from view and is unstealable unless someone drives her through the hedgegrowth. :)
BMW Z3, the only way to build a true roadster

Image - The most powerful letter in the world.
Cloz wrote:There is something that will never change is my love for Z3
smartypants wrote:Conor?

With an M??

The World's gone mad :D
smartypants wrote:The Z3 rear is a great thing to behold ;)
Tank

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Tank »

Hi Ed
I live in Lowton just outside of Leigh :lol: , I'm the same as you not room in the garage so stays on the drive .I box mine in with the wifes car like Oxford and I have had no probs :wink:
Tank
JAY
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Re: Driveway Security

Post by JAY »

EDnSKY wrote:Hi all,

Ed the zed won't fit in my garage :head: so has to stay on the driveway. Can I ask what security measures other members take to protect their loved one? I already have CCTV and was looking at a Bulldog security post.

cheers

EDnSKY
For the sake of the zed move house ;)

That's what I'm doing next week. Currently my zed does fit in the garage, but I have to climb out of it as they never seem to make garages big enough anymore :(

Here comes the double garage and plentyof space :)
dansutton

blank.gif

Post by dansutton »

hello and im from lostock my has been fine up to now just with cctv (touch wood)
EDnSKY

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by EDnSKY »

Cheers All,

Have just moved from house with double garage and that's how I've managed to pay for my Zed! My next door neighbour reckons Ed the Zed will squeeze in as he gets a Mondeo ST220 in his - just! I may have to adapt to the 'climb out of the roof' technique to get out though!!!

If it doesn't fit I'll invest in a bulldog post as She who must be obeyed :queen: said I can't use her baby to protect mine! :puzzle:

Cheers
Ed
trickyb

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by trickyb »

We've a zed and a 1 series, so we invested in a post.

Have a look on the web - loads of products to chose from, however BEWARE!!

I bought a fold-flat version, but forgot to consider the clearance of the zed :head:

On my first trip over it, the sump guard touched (slightly)... ooops. Didn't do that again, but now have to decide whether to replace that post with a fully retractable one, or a way of lifting the front end over the post i.e. speed bumps...

Having had experience of attending homes where cars have been stolen, i am yet to visit one where a post had been fitted and secured. I have, however been to many where the only deterent was CCTV.
I spent most of my money on whisky, women and Z3's. The rest I just wasted.

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken.
Bryn
Z Register member

BMW convertible

Post by Bryn »

Are the posts difficult to install?
trickyb

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by trickyb »

Bryn,

There are primarilly two types. Ones that sink fully into the ground - these need a big(ish) hole digging and cementing in. A bloke round our way fits them for £170 + VAT.

The second type is a fold away, which I have, currently, but as mentioned in my last post, you have to watch the vehicle clearance. These folding posts require a solid, preferably concrete, base to drill into and use large metal rawlplugs (sp) to fix in place. Depending on the post manufacture, this ranges from 2 - 5 bolts. The better ones have a bolt literally in the middle of the plate under the post, so it can't be got at!

Not difficult to do, but if you're not DIY inclined, get a man (or woman) in!!

Hope that helps :)
I spent most of my money on whisky, women and Z3's. The rest I just wasted.

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken.
komis

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by komis »

Guys,
please could you let me know where did you buy these posts from and what do they cost?

Our property managers charge us £190 for pish fold-flat bollards that rot and need replacing every 6 months.
wwwwOOOff!!!
Paul.Stuhlfelder

M roadster S50

Post by Paul.Stuhlfelder »

If you do manage to squeeze the car in the garage, but find getting in and out difficult, get a small piece of carpet, and attach it to the wall (with some padding) where the door opens, so at least you can open the door all the way and let it rest against the carpet, instead of trying to get out and hover the door off the wall at the same time!
Israel pulls out of Gaza Strip, Gaza not Pregnant!
risquenun

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by risquenun »

The bosses MX5 goes in the garage (just) and the zed goes next to the bungalow in the carport (under a cover).
There are 6 foot wooden gates now at the side of our bungalow to keep it safe and secure :lol:
This Orinoco doesn't Womble.