New Lights Vs old

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
mrluke

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

New Lights Vs old

Post by mrluke »

Having spent a few hours at the weekend doing some bits , heres a pic of headlight comparison

Left are face-lift lights
right are the chinese jobbys from ebay

I also did the quick 10 min guide on the seatbelt holders .. i only did one so far as the other 1 isnt broken , but needs to be done because it will look odd otherwise.

Hope these pics help people out.

a few notes to add about the headlights

1.) you have to soilder into the exisiting side lights
2.) you have to extend the exisiting indicator wiring.

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/6072/xl800197.jpg

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/6130/xl800198.jpg
zippol

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by zippol »

Looks good.

What have you paid for the two headlights?
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

any chance of a lower down picture ??
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

They look cool.

Mine are waiting for collection from the post office :D I got mine off eBay via America as I was in no rush and they worked out slightly cheaper than anywhere else but only ended up waiting for 2 week for delivery. I think they are probably the same ie sourced from the far east. Its interesting that you say you had to extend the indicator wiring as I was under the impression should be plug and play unless you want to splice into the sidelight wiring for the angels. Guess I will soon find out :wink:

eBay link here

I own't be able to fit until next week as I'm away this weekend but will post up results as well :rtm:
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Althulas

M roadster S50

Post by Althulas »

Did you get away with the import duty Jonittt or was it duty free for some reason as stated in the advert?
If you like gaming with mature minded players visit our retirement home http://www.oap-clan.co.uk/
ImageImage
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Not sure yet, I missed the delivery today from parcelforce. For some reason they have left a card saying it has been taken to the local post office rather than to their depot. Normally this would be great as closer but I never get home in time to make it to the post office and their depot is open to 7 so would had preferred to go there. I will have to phone the local post office up tomorrow to arrange to collect next week as I'm away this weekend. I will ask them if there is any duty due though :wink:
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
mrluke

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by mrluke »

jonttt wrote:Not sure yet, I missed the delivery today from parcelforce. For some reason they have left a card saying it has been taken to the local post office rather than to their depot. Normally this would be great as closer but I never get home in time to make it to the post office and their depot is open to 7 so would had preferred to go there. I will have to phone the local post office up tomorrow to arrange to collect next week as I'm away this weekend. I will ask them if there is any duty due though :wink:
I paid 250 including Delivery from a UK seller inc Silver indicator Bulbs.

The drivers side indicator light was ok , but the passenger side one needed to be extended as the loom was not long enough , could possibly be a facelift feature maybe or just my car.

problem im finding with mine is , that the headlights are aimed to high , i have changed it to 1 and 2 on the switch under the stearing wheel but still seems to high to me.

And because mines a Face-lift i connected my angels to the sidelights on the bumper . Lucky im good with a soldering iron ;)
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

mrluke wrote:problem im finding with mine is , that the headlights are aimed to high , i have changed it to 1 and 2 on the switch under the stearing wheel but still seems to high to me.
I assume you have fitted the eletronic beam adjustors? Just remove those and screw in the ball-jointed socket a few turns.
mrluke

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by mrluke »

c_w wrote:
mrluke wrote:problem im finding with mine is , that the headlights are aimed to high , i have changed it to 1 and 2 on the switch under the stearing wheel but still seems to high to me.
I assume you have fitted the eletronic beam adjustors? Just remove those and screw in the ball-jointed socket a few turns.
indeed i did , my old headlights used to be on 1.... now i have to have it on 2
which makes it go lower ??? is this normally the case ?
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

mrluke wrote:
c_w wrote:
You can set you base height to anything yo want; just remove the eletronic adjusters and screw the screw in or out (out to raise etc).
mrluke

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by mrluke »

c_w wrote:
mrluke wrote:
c_w wrote: I assume you have fitted the eletronic beam adjustors? Just remove those and screw in the ball-jointed socket a few turns.
You can set you base height to anything yo want; just remove the eletronic adjusters and screw the screw in or out (out to raise etc).
lol ta i did asume that !... :D
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Managed to pick mine up today from the post office as per my above eBay link.

Interestingly even though I bought from a USA seller they were sent to me direct from Tiawan were they are manufactured.

I did not have to pay any import duty :D so cost me £205 including delivery and £5 to get some silver indicator bulbs off eBay (they come with amber bulbs)

They are really good quality, you would think they are OEM.

So far as I'm aware these are all sourced from the same manufacturer in tiawan so does not seem to matter where you buy from. Obviously if you want quick delivery then go for UK supplier who has them in stock but seems you will pay c£40 more for them :wink:

I will fit weekend after next when I'm back from hols and do a full write up re installation :rtm:
mrluke

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by mrluke »

jonttt wrote:Managed to pick mine up today from the post office as per my above eBay link.

Interestingly even though I bought from a USA seller they were sent to me direct from Tiawan were they are manufactured.

I did not have to pay any import duty :D so cost me £205 including delivery and £5 to get some silver indicator bulbs off eBay (they come with amber bulbs)

They are really good quality, you would think they are OEM.

So far as I'm aware these are all sourced from the same manufacturer in tiawan so does not seem to matter where you buy from. Obviously if you want quick delivery then go for UK supplier who has them in stock but seems you will pay c£40 more for them :wink:

I will fit weekend after next when I'm back from hols and do a full write up re installation :rtm:

i Actually Paid £230 for mine i think .. so you saved £15 .. but you have to take the risk with import duty :(

Yeah there all from china .. and they are very good , very well made unlike other china lights i have had on previous cars !

Let me know how u get on with the indicator loom on the passenger side , im intrested to see if it was just my car that had a short cable ?
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Will do :wink:
mrluke

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by mrluke »

just an update will a pic with both of them in :D

T48 TRE

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by T48 TRE »

Mrluke the lights look good. What is the light from them like during the dark, good for driving.
mrluke

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by mrluke »

i would say around 200% brighter than the originals , plus a much wider spectrum !
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Luke

I fitted mine yesturday and am chuffed to bits with the look.

I can confirm both my indicator cables were long enough to fit so you must have just been unlucky?

The only issue I had was with connecting up the electric adjustment. The original connector has 3 pins and the one from the light 2 pins :wink: I just left unconnected for now. How did you connect this up to get the adjuster working :?:

ps I managed to line my lights up fine just using the adjustable sockets for the mounting screws (I had marked up centre of lights on garage door and managed to get dip beam and headlights spot on for height etc....)

I will post up pictures when I get a chance.
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

The spare two pin plug is for a 5w sidelight bulb in the main beam unit.

You have to swap over the eletronic beam adjusters for those to work (twist out of the old lamps and disconnect the ball socket, and remove the "locking" adjustment screw on the new lamps).
gypsycatcha

blank.gif

Post by gypsycatcha »

I had the same prob with the offside and needed to extend the cable. Like u say they are very well made and look the part. They do a chrome set too but are a bit "P Diddy" for my likeing. May get some of those silver bulbs as i have the amber ones in at the mo.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

TeachAGC

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by TeachAGC »

You really should finish the job with Angel-eye fog lamps too. Less than 65 quid too!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Althulas

M roadster S50

Post by Althulas »

It would be nice to see a pic of those fog lights fitted, shame the M never had any front fogs fitted.
If you like gaming with mature minded players visit our retirement home http://www.oap-clan.co.uk/
ImageImage
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Angel Eye Foglamps

Post by BonBon »

Here is a link for those angel eye fog lights.
Yeah - it would b nice to see a couple of pics
http://www.carparts-online.de/shop/Teil ... :3709.html
gypsycatcha

blank.gif

Post by gypsycatcha »

Never seen the angel fogs before, they look really nice. May have to get a set of them too 8-)
mrluke

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by mrluke »

the angel fogs are ok
you just look like a dick at night time driving with ur fogs on just for the angel eyes ...

if you could turn the angels on seperate , then maybe tht would be a gd idea :D
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

C'mon Angel eyes are a "dicky" idea any time of day - but they do look nice.
TeachAGC

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by TeachAGC »

Well as it happens, Mr Luke, you can turn the fog angels on with out the main beam. I've had mine all wired separately so I have main, side and angels all separate.

I tried to upload an image but it was too big. Give me a pointer how to up load an image and I'll show you.

I've had these fitter for about a year now and i think they're rather good. Even over here there aren't many about. Personally I think it finishes off the whole package.
TeachAGC

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by TeachAGC »

Will this work?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

The middle pic did not open.

Looks impressive (the green is a bit OTT for me)

Do these connect to the standard fog light connector or is there additional wiring/electronics like a Xenon HID?
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

No good for an ///M as the space is needed to force air through to the air filter.

I have seen an ///M coupe fitted with Fogs in the bumper but not in the place were fogs normally go. I don't know what make they are though :head:
gypsycatcha

blank.gif

Post by gypsycatcha »

I think they look great and am going to get a set. Not sure if i will get them from that site as my german is pretty pants. Im wondering if the paypal link will take u straight there or if i will need an interpreter :rtm:
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

gypsycatcha,
Any luck with the purchase?
gypsycatcha

blank.gif

Post by gypsycatcha »

Yeah they arrived yesterday, got them on ebay from taiwan i think it was. worked out a bit cheaper too. hopefully have them fitted this week. again, like the headlights, they look very good quality. They dont come up under z3 fog lights when searching so u have to find them under e39 like it says in the link... Just hope i have the right ones
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

I'd appreciate the ebay link.
I see the projector and Halo (angel eyes) have separate wiring.
I assume the projector uses the standard connector.
How are you going to wire the angel eyes?
My first guess is to hardwire the angel eyes to the parking lights.
(I hope the projector connectors are a perfect match - there are a couple of similar types....)
Thanks
Looking forward to pics. :bounce:
gypsycatcha

blank.gif

Post by gypsycatcha »

Hi bonbon i think the additional wire is for the rings and im guessing an additional switch will have to added. I will have to gert somone to fit these as im not sure what im doing. here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E39- ... ccessories

im hoping this is not going to be to complex as i really like the look of these.
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

Should be a doddle. (especially if you wire the Halos to the parking lights - thus not needing a new switch and wiring to the dashboard)
I'd appreciate some pics and your verdict.
gypsycatcha

blank.gif

Post by gypsycatcha »

Will do, soon as there on il post some pics and let you know what i think.
gypsycatcha

blank.gif

Post by gypsycatcha »

Hi BonBon i might be being blonde here but what what do you mean when u say parking lights?? do all z3s have this and is there a switch.... :dunce:
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

I'm probably the bozo here.
I term the parking lights the low lights that come on with the first pull of the headlight switch. (ie the inner pair of lights)
As I would not mind having the angel eyes on whenever I have my parking lights or headlights on, and in order to simplify the wiring - I would connect the angel eyes directly to the parking lights.
The projectors use the standard fog light connector and would be operated by the fog light button.
I hope this makes more sense.
gypsycatcha

blank.gif

Post by gypsycatcha »

Yeah i see what your saying, wireing the halos obn the fogs to the sidelights so there is no need for a switch. I probably will add a switch as the police where i am can sometimes be to bored and pull people for having there fogs on when not foggy.
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

How can any copper define Halos a fog lights. :dunce:
You can then turn on the projectors and show him that those are the fogs.......
gypsycatcha

blank.gif

Post by gypsycatcha »

Yeah thats a fair point, might just wire them in to the side lights too.
gypsycatcha

blank.gif

Post by gypsycatcha »

Fitted these on saturday but not got round to wire the halos.
mrluke

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by mrluke »

gypsycatcha wrote:Fitted these on saturday but not got round to wire the halos.
if mine wasnt being sold soon , i would follow u and make our cars look like twins :D
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

I just ordered a pair.
........another Montreal Blue... :lol:
gypsycatcha

blank.gif

Post by gypsycatcha »

Really happy with these, they really look trhe part and much better than standard. Failrly obvious point but u may want to touch up the covers next to the fogs as mine were looking a tad worn and didnt look right next to the new black fogs. Also did not get stung with the customs fee so its all good :D

ps how come u selling MrLuke??
Cloz

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Cloz »

BonBon wrote: ........another Montreal Blue... :lol:
:thumb:
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

As and ex-Montrealer (only knew the color name after I bought the car) it was painful not to see the Canadiens nowhere near the Stanley cup
:cry:
Cloz

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Cloz »

BonBon wrote: it was painful not to see the Canadiens nowhere near the Stanley cup
:cry:
You're so right. The last one was in 1993 but no worry for the owner because the Bell center is full every home games :evil: