Radio Aerial Reception - Now Fixed!!!

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Radio Aerial Reception - Now Fixed!!!

Post by Brian H »

Looking for a few pointers as I'm having trouble with my readio reception. I have searched on the subject but no real definative answers.

I have a good ground connection and switched +12vdc on the antenna base, no obvious cable damage in either the boot or the centre console. Does anyone have a method of testing the powered antenna base?

The part in question is part 2 in the diagram below. (there is a screw cap on the bottom of the antenna base, what is this for?)

Any help appreciated.
Last edited by Brian H on Tue 06 Oct, 2009 18:57, edited 1 time in total.
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Now Fixed - Hurray!!!!!

Post by Brian H »

Well after a lot of head scratching I decided to start from scratch with the the car aerial, I had a look at the antenna base and thought this was the suspect, tracking a second hand one down was quite hard as they seem to fly off the shelf. New ones are approx £60 ex VAT. Not sure that this was the problem, I decided to check the cable first.

After moving the electric roof pump (see below) I removed the nut that holds a ground wire and the car aerial cable, upon removing this I noticed a spark!

With the cable removed and disconnected at both ends I tested the cable for continuity by using a scrap of cable as shown below.

I found that there was a short circuit in the cable with the small wire in position and when removed!

As I was in the car with the tester I examined the aerial connector that plugs into the car radio, I found that the centre wire of the coax was not connected to the centre pin and shorting out on the ground of the connector (I now understand why I got a spark from the aerial cable when I disconnected it in the boot, the antenna base has a 12vdc supply when the radio is switched on).

The picture below shows a connector with the black plastic shroud removed.

With the centre wire now connected the radio reception is excellent and works as it should. :D :D
kingy1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kingy1 »

This post is very interesting because one of the jobs i too have got to sort out on my car is the poor radio reception.
Due to only recently purchasing the car i thought that because the car was a 1997 and had the original BMW radio/cassette in it, i had to put the poor reception down to outdated technology.,
I can only faintly pick up radio1, so just listening to the engine and the wife at the mo!!
Going to investigate the ariel in back of radio first, hopefully this may give me a few answers. :lol:
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Great write up Ardchyle :rtm:
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster