Z3, Z3M & Z3 Coupe Seat bushes for SALE !!!

Whether you are having a garage clear-out, looking for a second-hand accessory, or buying/selling a Z, post your 'for sale' and 'wanted' ads here.
This Forum is not meant for discussion, please do not comment on the asking price.
aceman

M roadster S50

Z3, Z3M & Z3 Coupe Seat bushes for SALE !!!

Post by aceman »

Hi All,

I have noticed a few people on here recently have been tackling the common problem of worn seat bushes on the Z3 which causes the seat to rock backward and forward under braking and acceleration. Having looked into this and what is required to rectify the problem I have manufactured some seat bushes which can be installed in the seat mechanism to eradicate this common problem.

I am offering these for sale for £10 plus £2 P&P for a complete set (8 bushes). This is about a 3rd of the price of others for sale elsewhere on the net. If you require a set please PM me with your details and I will be in touch with payment details.

International orders are welcome please add £4 P&P hence total cost of £14.

Fitting instructions are available on the Internet including videos on YouTube;

Video 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM4KSnA58EI
Video 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRxrPelM9G0
Video 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fdDHzykwOo

Many thanks to earthwormjim for posting a very good "how to" on fitting these bushes. Here is the link;

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... highlight=

Just an update to say preferred payment is through PAYPAL for your own protection and peace of mind. Cheques are also accepted but you will have to allow for them to clear before I post the bushes, please email or PM for details.

Anyone wishing to contact me directly then please email me on;

ian.grayson@blueyonder.co.uk
Last edited by aceman on Fri 19 Jul, 2013 12:22, edited 14 times in total.
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Rocking seats ? You need seat bushes click HERE
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

Great idea mate, what material did you use?

Just a suggestion but you may want to trial fit these and test their durability. I say this because it's a 4 hour+ job for a reasonably capable individual to complete and I'd be more than slightly peeved if they started packing up a few months later, it's certainly not a job I'd want to repeat in a hurry
Progress Thread:http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=36117
Previous - S54 M Roadster, S50 M Roadster, Ibiza Cupra IHI 340bhp, Ibiza Cupra K04 270bhp, 6n2 Polo GTi
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

They are made out of nylon sheet similar to the whalen ones and one of the members on this site has fitted them successfully this weekend without problems.
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

Ok cool I was thinking more longer term like a few months to see if they hold up, I'm sure they will though

You may want to advertise on z3mcoupe as well, there are bound to be others interested :)
Progress Thread:http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=36117
Previous - S54 M Roadster, S50 M Roadster, Ibiza Cupra IHI 340bhp, Ibiza Cupra K04 270bhp, 6n2 Polo GTi
Robin

M roadster S50

Post by Robin »

This would be a useful thread to go in Zed knowledgable as sticky.
'High G' motoring enthusiast
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

Replies sent to those that have PM'd me.
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

indizee

Z4 roadster 2.5i

Post by indizee »

HI, I'll be ordering a set very shortly, I already have a PM thread with you.

Just watching the first video, could you give a small procedure as to what to disconnect, including the battery so I and others can avoid the Airbag Warning light issue that is mentioned. i.e does disconnecting the battery as step 1 avoid this issue, but what issues might arise by disconnecting the battery to other systems within the car?
Present : Grey Z4 2.5 conv
ex-Cosmos Black 2.8
johnz3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by johnz3 »

Hi,

Did this on Sunday and did not disconnect the battery. The instructions from Doug Whalen only said to put some masking tape over the ignition so as to not put the key in and attempt to turn on the ignition.
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

Disconnecting the battery is always advisable when working with anything electrical in the car. If you do disconnect the battery the only thing I can think of which will be effected is the radio depending on which one you have installed and will probably loose its settings needing the security code inputting when powered back up so make sure you have the code before starting.
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

indizee

Z4 roadster 2.5i

Post by indizee »

Johnz3, I guess you didnt get an airbag warning ligth after you fitted the bushes with the battery still connected?
ex-Cosmos Black 2.8
johnz3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by johnz3 »

Hi,

No airbag light came on.

With the drivers side I taped over the ingnition and put the cars keys out of the way - No light

With the passenger side I just kept the keys out of the way - again no light

Hope that helps
indizee

Z4 roadster 2.5i

Post by indizee »

Thanks Johnz3, just about to do mine today, nice weather, sunny etc.
ex-Cosmos Black 2.8
beemz

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by beemz »

indizee wrote:Thanks Johnz3, just about to do mine today, nice weather, sunny etc.
Let us know how you get on please, particularly with the airbag light. I picked mine up from aceman this morning and will be fitting shortly. Nice fella he is and all. Also a very nice Zed he has, was a pleasure to meet.
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

Thanks Beemz nice to meet you too, you'll be on the lookout for a hardtop later this year then :wink:

To all those that have enquired there are still plenty of these available and another batch will be posted out tomorrow for all those that have paid.

Many thanks,
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

henrycrun

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by henrycrun »

Another reason for playing safe by disconnecting the battery, is to avoid the pyrotechnic seatbelt tensioners detonating.
OK, I know it shouldn't happen, but if it did, you would't want to have your head down there....

As you know, even the seat motors are still live with the key out
johnjo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by johnjo »

PM sent Aceman :lol:
indizee

Z4 roadster 2.5i

Post by indizee »

Fitted my seat bushes at the weekend, took 1 hour for the first seat(including tea and sandwiches), and 25 mins for the second seat (I'm a dab hand with a bench sander). Once you've done one, its easy and quick to do the second. I made mine a really tight fit when placing the bushes between the metal threaded block. Bit fiddly getting the rails back in after bushes have been fitted, but it's just a case of lining up the rails to the marks (That you should make before dis-assembly) so they fit in the exact place before putting the seat back in the car.
I didn't disconnect the battery, just put the keys in my pocket and remembered not to switch the ignition on. No airbag lights.

The you tube videos are good, bit long winded, it's easier than it looks.

All in all, job worth doing. If anyone needs help and lives close by, I'll be glad to help.
Last edited by indizee on Tue 27 Apr, 2010 10:47, edited 2 times in total.
ex-Cosmos Black 2.8
OXO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by OXO »

aceman wrote:They are made out of nylon sheet similar to the whalen ones and one of the members on this site has fitted them successfully this weekend without problems.
What are the OEM ones made from?
indizee

Z4 roadster 2.5i

Post by indizee »

Rubber, and mine were completely disintegrated.
ex-Cosmos Black 2.8
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

Indizee glad to hear you got them fitted OK. Your experiance is very similar to most me included, the job is easier than anticipated especially after doing the first one.

Still plenty more of these available to anyone considering tackling this job. :D
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

maxman

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by maxman »

Thanks for the super quick posting ,mine arrived today.
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

All part of the service :)
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Mr B

Not specified

seat fix

Post by Mr B »

mine also arrived PDQ and have already been fitted, much easier than the video shows to be honest, they make a simple job look complicated!

my tips
- i used a piece of 3x2 timber as a template and marked the position of the hole for the large screw and the edges of the 'block' and simply mde sure it matched up when replacing it! just be careful when withdrawing the shaft from the seat runner not to 'turn' the shaft.

- also make sure you apply the plastic spacers evenly - which makes me wonder why they cant be supplied as a ready made replacement - as the threaded block needs to be central in its 'holder' and its a pre determined size, is there a reason why the new spacers cant be supplied to the correct size thickness?

oh, and i didnt disconnect the battery - seats operate wthout the ignition being on (i dont consider unplugging a couple of connections to be 'working on the cars electrical system', on the basis that i wouldnt disconnect the battery to fit a new bulb also if you disconnect the battery how do you move the seats backwards and forwards to gain access to remove them?) and didnt put any tape over the ignition barrel - i just put the keys where no-one would mess with them or attempt to put them in the ignition, result - no airbag light!
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

The problem with supplying the bushes at any given thicknes is every car will have different varying states of ware hence you need to adjust the bushes thickness by sanding them down to suit your particular cars seat ware. Unfortunatly there is no easy way round this but to sand them down evenly.
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Mr B

Not specified

shims

Post by Mr B »

hi aceman

i am not sure that i agree with you? the shims go into a metal holder which is a stock size, the threaded block is a stock size, its only the crappy rubber bush that disintegrates and you replace that in its entirety. so you then just need to replace the crappy rubber bush, the other two items remain at the size they were manufactured to surely. or am i missing something?
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

You are quite right in that it is the rubber bush that perishes and shrinks in size that causes the problem and the nylon bushes in effect are packing them back out to minimise the play but this is by far a cheaper solution than going to BMW for the bushes to be replaced in their entirity. It has taken at least 10 years for the bushes to reach this stage in their life so it is likely to be another 10 years before this job will need readdressing again.
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Mr B

Not specified

bushes

Post by Mr B »

Just to be clear - I am NOT being critical, i bought the bushes from you and am more then happy, it does fix the issue and is a very cheap method to do so!!

i was hopefully trying to suggest an improvement - but to be honest i am sure most people are more than happy to sand them down to fit, i just thought it would be easier if they came ready sized as the size would be the same for every repair, rather than needing to 'sand' them dow to the required thickness !

again, just to be clear - i am PERFECTLY happy with the bushes, and would recommend them to anyone looking for a simple and easy fix
Mr B

Not specified

bushes

Post by Mr B »

Just to be clear - I am NOT being critical, i bought the bushes from you and am more then happy, it does fix the issue and is a very cheap method to do so!!

i was hopefully trying to suggest an improvement - but to be honest i am sure most people are more than happy to sand them down to fit, i just thought it would be easier if they came ready sized as the size would be the same for every repair, rather than needing to 'sand' them dow to the required thickness !

again, just to be clear - i am PERFECTLY happy with the bushes, and would recommend them to anyone looking for a simple and easy fix
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

Thanks I do appreciate all constructive critisism and appreciate the comments.

The only other thing I would mention which I was trying explain is that every seat fix will be different with varying levels of wear to the original rubber bush hence the need to sand them down to fit each individual application as some are worse than others and visa versa.
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

I have had several enquires from international members so I have added a line to the first post to say that I will post to other countries for a small additional charge.

More bushes in stock so plenty to go around, I will be taking some to Newby Hall at the weekend so if anybody attending wants a set they can save on the postage.
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

soma

M coupe S50

Post by soma »

Aceman you have a pm :D
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

Reply sent earlier :D
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Muzz

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Muzz »

Dude you have PM 8-)
dennisedlin

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dennisedlin »

Big thanks to aceman. I took the plunge and sorted out my drivers seat this morning. Took about 90 minutes following the many guides posted. The seat is now wobble free :D :D :D
Z3 2.2 Sport, everyone loves a Z3

aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

Glad you got it sorted, another satisfied customer :D

Many thanks
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

OXO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by OXO »

aceman wrote:I have had several enquires from international members so I have added a line to the first post to say that I will post to other countries for a small additional charge.

More bushes in stock so plenty to go around, I will be taking some to Newby Hall at the weekend so if anybody attending wants a set they can save on the postage.
Yes, he sent a set to me here in France.. Thanks mate !
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

Thanks for letting me know you got them ok.

Cheers,
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Muzz

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Muzz »

Thanks Aceman recieved bushes now just got to find some nice weather so I can fit.
Dave
Muzz

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Muzz »

Job done took about 2hrs no airbag light :wink: lucky enough only had to do drivers side.
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

Job well done :D
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

groove65

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by groove65 »

Did mine - easy job to be honest.

i think they will inevitably wear down again over time but should be good for a few years.

forgot to plug in one sensor tho before i switched on ignition so got the airbag light.:head: :head:

local indie cleared it for me for £20 :D
-------------------------------------

1998 Z3 1.9 in Arctic Silver..... maybe i should change my screen name to Chilly !!
msassoon

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by msassoon »

Thanks for these, fitted them in an hour and the seat is wobble free. Only needed two for the driver's side, but will store the rest in case :wink:
soma

M coupe S50

Post by soma »

thanks Aceman...got mine in the mail last week....no more slippin n sliddin :drive
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

soma wrote:thanks Aceman...got mine in the mail last week....no more slippin n sliddin :drive
Great news feels so much better doesn't it.

Still plenty more of these if anyone is interested.
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

Just a little bump to let people know these are still available if anyone wants a set.
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

Few more people are enquiring about these so just to let you all know there are still plenty of sets available if anyone needs any.
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

alanj4353

M roadster S50

Post by alanj4353 »

Just to let every one no my bushes have bin on my car for months now no moving at all best £10 ever and only tuck 1hour 20 mins to do both seats 8-)
VikingSven

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by VikingSven »

Do you have any of these left?
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

Yes just I will PM you with details.
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

simon-g

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by simon-g »

I would like a set too please if you have some left.