6 CD Changer - No sound

Head units and speakers, MP3 and CD changers, GPS and SatNav, plus PDAs, mobile phones, Bluetooth, TalkAbouts...
Razerx

M roadster S52

6 CD Changer - No sound

Post by Razerx »

I just installed a used 6 CD Changer in the trunk of my 2000 M Roadster and cannot get any sound from the unit. The display on the head unit shows that the CD is playing (I can switch between CD's and tracks) but no sound. The CD business radio plays fine (I have sound) and I've plugged and re-plugged both the radio and the CD changer many times. The guy I bought the changer from says that it worked fine when he plugged it into his BMW. He suggested that I may have to program it with BMW. Is that true?

Any suggestions???
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: 6 CD Changer - No sound

Post by Robert T »

If you have an ///M roadster, then I would think you have the Harmon Kardon speaker system with the amp in the boot/trunk. If so then I am wondering if you have the wrong connection from the head unit to turn the amp on. I've seen posts on here before where people have got the antenna remote instead, so the radio works but not other sources.

If it is the original head unit then that shouldn't be the issue, but if the head unit has been replaced at some point and the wiring loom butchered, then the original reinstalled, this could still be the problem.

Other than that, you need to check the multi changer loom to make sure that all the connections are good from end to end.

Cheers R.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Razerx

M roadster S52

Post by Razerx »

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I do have the Harmon Kardon sound system. The car was pre-0wired for the CD changer so all I did was find the two wire connections and plugged them into the changer. One connection was a thick wire with 4-5 thin wires surrounded by a wire mesh and the other was a smaller connection containing 3 thin wires. The business radio does work and can be hear through the HK sub-woofer. Is there another wire to connect?
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

No that should be it at the changer end. The 3-way is power and 5-way signal.

Do you get sound from a CD when played in the head unit?

Cheers R.

Razerx

M roadster S52

Post by Razerx »

Yes. I have a business radio with the single CD slot. The radio plays AM/FM/CD with out any problems.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Okay, I would check the connections on the back of the head unit. Make sure the multichanger is plugged in and look for signs of damage or unconnected wires in the harness.

Should be two covers, one each side revealing two Allen bolts. Watch out for the alarm anti-theft switch on the prong at the back of the head unit. If it is fitted, make sure it goes back in place.

Cheers R.

Razerx

M roadster S52

Post by Razerx »

Great suggestion but I've already checked the connections. The thick black wire is firmly plugged into the head unit. I know the head unit is seeing the CD changer because I can select CD's 1-6 and the track number is displayed on the head unit. Any idea which wires at the CD changer plug end or which pin at the head unit plug end carry the sound from the changer to the head unit? I downloaded the wiring manual for the car (THANKS Zroadster!) but did not see wire colors listed. As you guessed, I'm not very electronics minded.posting.php?mode=reply&f=10&t=45986# More of a plug and play guy. Also, gotta ask the question... is there some sort of programing that need to be done to the head unit?
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

The wiring colours are written in shorthand German, e.g. BL is blau or blue not black. If two colours are given, the first is the dominant colour, and the second that of the stripe.

The round connector is polarised with a notch at the top and the pin positions should be the same both ends.

Did the wiring harness look clean, or was there some evidence of tampering such as bullet connectors. BMW headunit should plug straight in with no adapters.

As far as I am aware there is no coding to be done, and it sounds like is responding correctly if it shows discs 1-6.

Cheers R.

Razerx

M roadster S52

Post by Razerx »

The wires in the trunk were still in the black tape as they came from BMW so I know that end of the wires are good. However, the tabs hiding the 2 business radio screws are missing and the black plastic clip at the back of the radio holding the wiring hardness showed some use so I think the radio had either been replaced or serviced at some time. I guess I'll start at that end and look for obvious damage. It would be very helpful if someone could identify the speaker wires by color or by location at both ends of the wire so I could check them for short with a ohm meter. I agree with you that the changer appears to be functioning correctly.