New soft top fitting wisdom required!!

Whether you are having a garage clear-out, looking for a second-hand accessory, or buying/selling a Z, post your 'for sale' and 'wanted' ads here.
This Forum is not meant for discussion, please do not comment on the asking price.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

New soft top fitting wisdom required!!

Post by Southernboy »

I've just received my new soft top with stitched in window. Part of the "fitting" instructions requires the rear of the fabric top to be stapled onto the tack strip. Before I started stapling I measured the overall length of the fabric and the overall length it would need to go around the tack strip. The fabric is about 2 inches less than the tack strip. If anyone has been through this excercise, and has some wisdom to share regarding "stretching" the fabric (Which has a 1,5mm thick plastic strip stitched onto the seam) so that it fits the tack strip, I would be grateful to hear from you.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
wildeboy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: New soft top fitting wisdom required!!

Post by wildeboy »

I don't think you are going to find many people who have done this as a DIY!

I have a new roof sat in the box waiting for some guaranteed dry weather (maybe next year, no seriously, I mean that!), I am not sure if you have seen the 'how to' in the link below. It is an aftermarket roof and shows the roof stapled to the tack strip but doesn't show the ends so you can't see whether it reaches or not.

http://www.electrontop.com/files/bm8120.pdf

Clearly you are not going to be able to stretch it very much if at all. Sorry I can't be of any help but good luck and let me know how you get on!
1997 Z3 2.8 in Montreal Blue, only 130k on the clock!
OEM Roll Hoops
M50B25 Inlet manifold
BMC CDA Induction kit
Beige roof
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: New soft top fitting wisdom required!!

Post by Southernboy »

Job done...top fixed to tack frame.......now the rest of the install...Thankyou good man!! :D :D :D
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions