Wanted: OEM Wind deflector clips

Whether you are having a garage clear-out, looking for a second-hand accessory, or buying/selling a Z, post your 'for sale' and 'wanted' ads here.
This Forum is not meant for discussion, please do not comment on the asking price.
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Wanted: OEM Wind deflector clips

Post by Koolflyer »

Does anyone have the two male OEM Wind deflector clips that hold the front edge down to the internal trim? They clip in each side behind the seats and hook under the trim.
1997 Z3 2.8 (M52) Roadster Montreal blue
2013 330d (F31) M Sport Alpine White
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Wanted: OEM Wind deflector clips

Post by Robert T »

I bought some from the dealer - they weren't expensive - can't just find the receipt at the mo. Part #2 below - click for part numbers:

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

I bought the last two clips last year, I then passed one on to a member that was struggling to get hold of one. Unless new ones have been made I think you may be out of luck, but by all means please try the parts department.
Last edited by Brian H on Wed 20 Nov, 2013 21:44, edited 1 time in total.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Is it the same problem with parts 3?
mfckeith

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by mfckeith »

[quote][/quote]i managed to get a couple from bmwminispares last year only a couple of pounds each,they are no longer available form BMW
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

Ok, thanks for the input. I'll have a ring around and if anybody knows anyone who has got some gash ones?? Failing that I'll just make a pair up, doesn't look like rocket science to me. Parts 3 is already there just need Parts 2. All the best. :wink:
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

An option which may help....I had a similar problem...I went to the local "Camp & Hike" shop....they had loads of the male and female clips, but in not in the exact same size...(Seems hikers break them regularly and need replacements too) Bought 4 sets then I removed the OEM ones, bought some black elastic from a fabric shop, and had a friend stitch them on for me....The "Hook" part I made myself out of 1mm mild steel plate. Drilled a series of holes to make a slot, then filed the "slot" to smooth the edges for the elastic to pass through, painted black...easy task.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Justbrowsing

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Justbrowsing »

I had the same problem. After a quick search on ebay I found the clips and some coated metal brackets that fit on the trim. I did need to sew the new bracket on but the overall cost was less than a tenner and is a nice strong solution.
Main Drives
Audi Q7 - 2016
Audi TTS Roadster 2016
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

Thought I wouldn't be the only one with this problem out there. I have a real advantage because Rocky Dave has lent me one of his, so even easier to make my own, exactly the way you said. Interestingly, I've been watching the wind deflectors on Ebay for a couple of months, and you'll notice a hell of them don't have the clips attached. When asked if they come with the two clips the answer was "no......thought they were part of the car" are what two people told me?? Some folks........eh :head:
Justbrowsing

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Justbrowsing »

The parts I purchased off ebay were:

Edge brackets were:
181180879971 - these work very well, I just had to pinch them a little tighter - close them a bit. Used a vice with soft jaws (very easy)

Clips were:
110999275996 (20mm I think but please check as I can't quite remember) - I took the old ones off the deflector as they were a bit tired and sewed the new pair on. This also works if you buy slightly different and they don't exactly match up.

The only other item is joining the bracket to the bottom clip. I used some wide black elastic material which was sewn on again as this seemed the easier and most suitable way. It was plenty strong enough.

Is really easy job that replaces the OEM clips which may be fatigued and works very well. I think it took about 20 minutes (but I can't confess to be the best with a needle and cotton.......you may be quicker! :D ).

Mod Edit: Item numbers converted to links, as this info is really helpful. R.
Main Drives
Audi Q7 - 2016
Audi TTS Roadster 2016
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Thanks for that, Martin. I've converted your ebay item numbers to links for ease of browsing. Hopefully Barry (Sourthernboy) won't have bought them all up and turned them into readymade items. :lol:

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

meeeooow....Rob.... :roflmao:
"Normal is overrated"

Justbrowsing

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Justbrowsing »

Oh. That reminds me, received the CD in good condition and in good time. Thanks Barry.

It's good to know we have such a valued member on the forum.
Main Drives
Audi Q7 - 2016
Audi TTS Roadster 2016
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Thanks mate.
"Normal is overrated"

Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Good info about the DIY clips :thumb:
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

Thanks for the info everyone, I'll have a go at tracking down the OEM clips but not holding my breath, failing that the DIY route ........ cheers :cheers