Free M Suspension Parts

Whether you are having a garage clear-out, looking for a second-hand accessory, or buying/selling a Z, post your 'for sale' and 'wanted' ads here.
This Forum is not meant for discussion, please do not comment on the asking price.
Thesurveyor

M roadster S50

Free M Suspension Parts

Post by Thesurveyor »

I have just upgraded my Z to a custom KW suspension set up. Its only variant 1 so nothing too radical and the ride height is standard.
I have kept the old front struts and the four springs. Obviously they are not in the first flush of youth (18 years old and 98k miles) but neither are they broken or totally past it. I was going to keep them for originalities sake but I don't really have anywhere to put them so if any member here would like to collect them from me in Dartford, then they are yours. Got to be better than taking them down the dump. Feel free to PM me if you are interested.
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Re: Free M Suspension Parts

Post by Alfie »

Hi. You have pm. A.
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Alfie wrote:Hi. You have pm. A.
Alfie. You know that S50 and S54 front suspension is different, don't you?
Pingu
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Alfie »

pingu wrote:Alfie. You know that S50 and S54 front suspension is different, don't you?
Thanks Gary, yeah, it's actually the rear springs I need, but can't seem to find confirmation that these S50 ones are identical to mine. :rtm:
Si reckons they'll fit, but they're a bit softer. Not really what I want, but OEM are currently a very silly £300+VAT for a pair from BMW and on several weeks' back order from 'the motherland'.
As you know, I have a strong urge to keep RED original, but I might have to consider a decent aftermarket option for this.
Opinions?

Cheers.
A.
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

BMW don't list their springs on RealOEM. The only way to get a pair is to quote them your chassis number and confirm the car is standard - which you have (by the sounds of it).

I don't think that you will get any from anywhere that are as well spec'd as BMW's - if your car is as it left the factory. I've only had a quick glance at the 330 list and there must have been close to 50 options :shock: .

I bit the bullet on the 330 and paid the £300+VAT for a pair of rears.

Any you get from non-BMW will be "that'll do's". If your car is non-standard, they will always be "that'll do's". BMW seem to be very thorough and go to town on specifying the correct spring rates.

According to my handbook, the weight of my car is 1425kg. It doesn't give the weight per axle. Have a look and see if yours is the same.

The 330 rears were a doddle to fit. Just undo the bottom shock mount and the lower arm dropped far enough to fit the new spring. I've not looked, but the Z might be the same.

Conclusion

I'm 99% sure that they are the wrong springs for your car, but the difference is probably not noticeable. I'm confident that they will physically fit.
If it were me, I'd give it a go if I could get them in my hands for £20 (a £20 gamble that could save £280) - but I don't mind taking a punt and doing the job twice.

Why not get them and put £1 in a jar every day and buy the right ones in a year :D
Pingu
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

If you are lucky you may still have the part number tag on the OEM springs, this will help identify the correct part, other than that as Pingu states it is off to BMW to get the correct part number.
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

Well there's wrong and really wrong. Any Z3 rear spring will 'fit'. The question is how close to the 100% correct spring rate you get. Our cars were built with different springs depending on which options were specified from the factory. On the front only the air-conditioning seems to make a difference. However, all the options including the anti-theft alarm (believe it or not) impact the rear part number.

How do I know this? The BMW ETK. Enter your vin and then prior to going into the diagrams click on the spring rate table on the right hand side.

So for Alfie, there are two part numbers relevant to rear springs. 33 53 9 70128 (no options) and 33 53 9 70129 (all options selected). Interestingly, if I select the options Alfie has then the 29 is the correct one, regardless of hardtop or not. So the 100% correct spring is 33 53 9 70129 :). Moreover, even though S54 dampers are different to S50 the rear spring seem to be the same as the ones for an S50. Ergo, these will be OK.

Si.
2001 M roadster S54 Laguna Seca Blue
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Why would they have different spring rates for an anti theft alarm at a few grams, but not a hardtop being fitted?
or the fact you could be average 80kg lighter on one side without a passenger, and there is no allowance given depending whether it's a skinny git or fat bstard driving.?

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Thesurveyor

M roadster S50

Post by Thesurveyor »

I have had a look and there are no part numbers visible on the rear springs.
I had replacement Konis on the rear when I bought the car so no help there.
The front struts are Sachs, part number 1-0211-37-634-A if that is of any help.
They have the BMW roundel and the words MRoadster on them so I'm sure they are correct.
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Alfie »

Don'tcha just love this site? 8-)
Thanks all for your knowledge and input.
:thumb:

A.