HELP !! Engine temp guage = HOT!!

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

HELP !! Engine temp guage = HOT!!

Post by Southernboy »

I had a bit of a scare today. I got caught in some traffic and queued for around 20 minutes. I noticed the engine temp guage had moved well past the halfway point which it always seems to stay at - normally. I immediately turned the heater on and the fan to high. the temp guage indicated a fairly quick drop to "normal" in about 5 minutes. I have checked the oil and coolant levels and both are full to the marked correct levels. I must add, I didn't hear the auxillary electric fan kick in, but that may have something to do with general noise around and the radio. Any ideas as to the possible cause(s) which should be investigated, before I get the thermostat housing off to check in there? Is there a method of checking the waterpump for efficient operation without removing it? Anyone who has had a similar experience and resolved it, please pass on the solutions you came to.
Cheers guys, look forward to your good advice as always.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: HELP !! Engine temp guage = HOT!!

Post by Del »

Sorry to hear your problem. My guess (only a guess) would be to focus on the auxiliary fan.

1) My experience with coolant thermostats in numerous cars (including the Z) is that they most commonly seem to stick open. Furthermore, I’ve only ever read posts on this site about them sticking open – and engines running too cold.

2) Failed water pump bearings often exhibit one or more of the following: - noise, visible wobble at the fan end or leak. If you have the original plastic impeller BMW pump that might have failed but the fact that you experienced a fairly immediate drop in temperature when the water was pumped around the opened heater circuit, hints to me that the pump might be working OK.

3) Useful link attached relating to cooling problems. The particular issue with the resistors failing on the auxiliary fan switch seems to crop up a lot over various forums and so statistically points to a possible focus for you.

http://blog.bavauto.com/12247/bmw-and-m ... cs-how-to/

Hope you get it sorted soon as I can tell you like things to be spot on. :(
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Cheers mate...I'll look into the aux fan. :thumb:
"Normal is overrated"

BIG DAVE

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by BIG DAVE »

hi ,
had the same problem in july 2012 radiator partly blocked when at normal temp put your hand on rad be carfull HOT! see if any area on rad cooler thats your problem could try coolant flush first but i got new rad problem fixed had a bugger of time bleading system afterwards but got there in end seems it a common fault in the design of rad very small pipe at bottom of expansion tank gets blocked hope this helps

cheers
Big Dave
BigD
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I think I've isolated the problem...It was the Viscous clutch in the middle of the engine fan...it has finally given up. I have a replacement, and while I'm doing that, I've decided to replace the waterpump and the thermostat with the upgraded metal vs plastic types.
Also, today, possibly as a result of the overheating, one of the hoses to the heater burst...so new hose too.
Thanks for the advice though. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"