Z3 2.8 rear exhaust problem

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
Fozzfox72

Z3 roadster 2.8

Z3 2.8 rear exhaust problem

Post by Fozzfox72 »

Help again!
On the way to get my brakes fixed the exhaust went! :head:

The rear double pipes box has dropped some what and the rear box completely separated from the main pipe! Ouch can you believe it? :shock:

Had to put my wallet in the recovery position, is this a simple fix? Have you had similar problem? How much did it cost?

Thanks all

:bawl:
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Z3 2.8 rear exhaust problem

Post by Southernboy »

If the rear box is still good internally, you can have it welded back onto the pipe. If it's internals have collapsed..(the baffles & pipes) then it's a new box required. You can check the box by removing it, and shaking it about...if there are loose metallic bits rattling in there, it's likely to be shot. The end where the pipe is welded to it should also be intact...ie the actual end face of the box...if there is still a short length of pipe sticking out of the box, (30 - 50mm) a repair can be done.
Perhaps if you posted a pic of the damaged area better advice will be provided to resolve your query. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Fozzfox72

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fozzfox72 »

Hi, the car is in garage now but oem exhaust system is just under £500!
just fixed brakes with new discs and pads.

The exhaust pipe at front is all good, its sheared away from the entry to the box, which appears to be the original back box. I am pretty sure that its gone.

I am looking for an aftermarket or custom build to a new back box and spoke with a mechanic who assures me it can be fabricated to a new back box awaiting price :shock: :shock:
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

From what I've read on the forum recently, it seems that stainless steel is considerable cheaper, and more durable than OEM mild steel components...may be worth investigating a stainless back box vs OEM.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Do we have anyone who has had a cheap stainless steel exhaust fitted for an appreciable length of time to say how long they will last? My OEM back box lasted 12 years, which is pretty good for mild steel, and I would expect the same of its replacement. I am still on the original cat and front sections after 14 years! I know that stainless steel should not rust, but that is not the only consideration that will affect its lifespan. For example, the quality of the welds will affect its durability. I guess it depends on price and how long you expect to keep the car.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
geminimustang

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by geminimustang »

My tale of our ill fitting Cobra has been posted on this site but while we decide our next step,we've driven the zed with the Cobra fitted.It's loud but it's a beautiful sound.Southernboy is correct when he says the OEM choke,choke,chokes the performance.Our Cobra feels a quality product and I guess we've been unlucky with the fit.I would recommend consideration of stainless but recommend the supplier also fits and you don't hand over your hard earned until your happy.Our exhaust has to be modified or replaced but I think we won't go back to mild steel.If anybody can recommend stainless exhausts supplied and fitted in the Wirral area,please let me know,my fund is growing and weighing my pockets down and it needs to be spent!!!!
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

This may be helpful - they're well put together - I have one. http://www.longlife.co.uk/
geminimustang

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by geminimustang »

Del wrote:This may be helpful - they're well put together - I have one. http://www.longlife.co.uk/
Del,any chance of a couple of photos and even better,a youtube video of your exhaust.Love to hear it and would help in my choice.
Fozzfox72

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fozzfox72 »

I searched online (good old innernet) and found companies that fabricate and fix exhaust systems from standard to performance as you guys had suggested.

http://www.flowtechexhausts.co.uk/

These guys are based in East London, and the guy on the phone was incredibly helpful and knowledgable. They are going to cut and join pipe to new stainless steel back box, with increased performance and a warranty too!

Price was so much cheaper and quicker than what main dealer wanted for a mild steel, so far so good. oh and can do tomorrow so no waiting!
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Fozzfox72 wrote: Price was so much cheaper and quicker than what main dealer wanted for a mild steel, so far so good. oh and can do tomorrow so no waiting!

That's not a huge surprise. You could probably get one made in gold for the price of a steel one from BMW!
Fozzfox72

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fozzfox72 »

Sounds nice too, more boom to your buck! :lol: