208000kms LATER...

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

208000kms LATER...

Post by Southernboy »

After 208000kms, the top radiator plastic hose connector has finally surrendered...with concommittant coolant drenching the engine compartment etc...I called BMW...quoted me £320.55...collected :shock: Then called my Meyle supplier...and they quoted £.100...delivered....Isn't it wonderful that some people still deliver too.... :D
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: 208000kms LATER...

Post by Southernboy »

.....and just for those who have AC's fitted...this is what the old radiator loos like on the face which butts up to the AC element...pretty gunked up...which must have an effect on the efficiency of the cooling system...
"Normal is overrated"

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: 208000kms LATER...

Post by Southernboy »

It's a public holiday in SA...."Heritage Day"....so decided to do something more useful than drink too many beers and have a "braai" (SA for barbeque)...

New radiator fitted....One small thing I did see while doing the replacement...
At the bottom of the expansion bottle is a large plastic nut which can be unscrewed and removed...it has a small rubber washer fitted between it and the bottle, so be careful to replace it...The important thing is that this nut has a small recess on the inside, and which together with the small threaded nozzle at the bottom of the bottle, it formsa reservoir for sediment. When I removed the bottle, I removed the nut as part of my general cleaning procedure, and found that about 8mm of sediment had lodged in the reservoir...thick, very fine and gooey stuff....Having discovered this stuff, it motivated me to do a more than thorough cleaning of the bottle which yeilded about a teaspoon full of coarser stuff....I then used some of the stuff (white crystals which is generally for use on water kettles to remove scale)...and some boling water and sealed the bottle at the bottom and left it to do it's "descaling"...the water I poured out after around 10 minutes of "soaking"..was very brown, so I must assume it did some further good...a thorough rinse and then re-fitted.

Also did a full oil service (Castrol Maganatec Edge + new oil filter)...also removed the Simota, cleaned the filter and replaced that whilst oil was draining... Removed and fitted new sparkplugs....syringed the power steering fluid out the reservoir and filled with fresh rasberry red ATF... Checked brake fluid reservoir, tyre pressures and then went for a 10km drive to the wishywashy...up onto the hoist and a complete undercar wash as well as the inner rim areas of the wheels, full engine wash, body foam wash and interior vacuum and leather tratment....Total cost for Oil service Car wash etc etc...£.75.00....Total cost of new radiator (& fitting)..£100.00

Now for those ice cold beers....it's around 28C here today :sunny ... [/u :cheers
"Normal is overrated"