When the waterpump gets nasty!

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
Fozzfox72

Z3 roadster 2.8

When the waterpump gets nasty!

Post by Fozzfox72 »

After much help and advice i have decided to start a new thread, although this maybe a continued problem.

While driving today I went over a speed hump. Not too fast, but the car didnt like it and a crunching sound came from below somewhere. I thought all was well, but then could smell smoke/burning.
I dropped the window to hear a rather loud, crunching squealing noise which was obviously coming from under my hood. So i pulled over asap, however the damage is already done with a water trail along the road and a radiator fan that has jumped up through the shroud and twisted slightly too. Lots of smoke/steam from the engine bay and major agro getting home.

My guess is that the rad fan has jumped up into the shroud and some how busted the waterpump. I just hope it can be fixed and I can afford the repair.
I have no idea how bad this is, but it sounded like it died! :head:

So gutted, any help would be very welcome.

Appears my love with Z3's just ended.

Gutted.. :bawl: :bawl:
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: When the waterpump gets nasty!

Post by Del »

Going over a bump wouldn't usually break the water pump. I know you have had another thread going about replacing the fan clutch http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 22#p366422 is it possible that the clutch has just come apart? Alternatively the culprit may have been the water pump bearing rumbling and it has now just "given up" and come apart. Difficult to access the damage on a forum but your cooling system might require a bit of renovation e.g. new water pump (they aren't that expensive - Meyle around £30), fan clutch? and a new plastic fan? Hopefully the radiator is OK?
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

The problem can be caused by the fan clutch, the water-pump bearing, and oddly the small hose which connects the expansion tank to the radiator on the left. If that hose isn't located correctly it can be "sucked" inwards towards the engine, and get caught up in the fan blades and pull the blades towads the radiator. Bear in mind, if it does happen, it will stop the fan and add resistance to the water pump turning whilst the belt will continue to be turned by the crank pulley at normal speed This will cause the belt to overheat and could be the cause of the "burning smell" you mention as the belt slides over the waterpump pulley.
It will require a new belt as well as a repair to the original cause of the problem. Belts are available from a Meyle stockist at around 30% of the cost from BMW. Meyle are the suppliers of fan belts to BMW, so the extra 70% BMW charge, is for the packaging with "Original BMW Parts" printed on it.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

You may want to look at the engine mounts too - if they are worn, the engine can move enough for the fan to contact the shroud. Going over the speed bump may have provided the jolt needed.
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

To do that sort of Damage
Would have taken a Steve McQueen Chase
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

Fozzfox72

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fozzfox72 »

Boysie wrote:To do that sort of Damage
Would have taken a Steve McQueen Chase
Found remnants of a brick in around the radiator and behind the front skirt this morning in the daylight. Maybe this was the crunching noise and reason why something went bang underneath!

oh dear

:bawl:
petethepipe

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by petethepipe »

My 1999 2.0 did the same thing this time last year. I think the water pump bearing failed allowing the fan to tip, and make contact with the radiator. New radiator (genuine BMW from main dealer) best price I could find with BMWCC discount. Pump, fan, coupling and belt sourced from the internet. Still working OK now.
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

Fozzfox72 wrote:Found remnants of a brick in around the radiator and behind the front skirt this morning in the daylight. Maybe this was the crunching noise and reason why something went bang underneath!oh
Now stunt jump driving over walls
Whatever next lol

Hopefully fixable at minimal cost
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom