yellow koni's with eibach springs

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
Stormy_be

Z3 roadster 2.8

yellow koni's with eibach springs

Post by Stormy_be »

Hello,

I'm going to replace met shocks and springs.

Was thinking about the B12's, but then I saw the KONI yellow (which are adjustable).
Has anyone had any experience with the combination Koni and Eibach?

For the matter of the Eibach springs, some people say they have/had sportline springs.
I don't seem to be able to find anything on those for a Z3, only the pro-kit springs.

My car is a '99 Z3 2.8 trackday-circuit-only car, so not much need for comfort.

Thanks,
Koen
Stormy_be

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: yellow koni's with eibach springs

Post by Stormy_be »

Doesn't anyone have any info on Koni (yellow) and H&R or Eibachs?

Koen
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

Koni Yellow are adjustable in rebound only, this is good if you have a stiff spring for track as you don't need massive bump setting to control pitch/dive.

Front Konis are normally "inserts" which means your original struts need cutting up and the koni damper "inserting" in to it.

Eibach springs are good but usually very expensive. There's possible other springs available for less money that will work just as well. IMO, on track you want the stiffer spring you can get to fit the OEM struts. Most aftermarket lowering springs are not much stiffer than OEM. ACS springs are quite good.
Stormy_be

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Stormy_be »

c_w wrote:Koni Yellow are adjustable in rebound only, this is good if you have a stiff spring for track as you don't need massive bump setting to control pitch/dive.

Front Konis are normally "inserts" which means your original struts need cutting up and the koni damper "inserting" in to it.

Eibach springs are good but usually very expensive. There's possible other springs available for less money that will work just as well. IMO, on track you want the stiffer spring you can get to fit the OEM struts. Most aftermarket lowering springs are not much stiffer than OEM. ACS springs are quite good.
The koni yellows are full struts.
It's a complete replacement of the OEM strut.

About the springs, yes, the stiffer the better in my case (they won't get too hard for racing only).
I have no idea with springs are stiffer then others.

Regards, Koen
Mr Silver

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Mr Silver »

I have used Koni's for all my performance cars. The 'yellows' are complete struts and, I believe, fully adjustable.

FYI: As an initial setting for the front struts try fully clockwise and then back off anticlockwise by 90 degrees. Try and be accurate as there is a lot of difference with just small adjustments on the front struts.
The rears seem less critical in their setting and I can't recall my settings. I think I made final adjustments with just half a turn. You have to push the rears fully up to make the adjustment and it's not so easy.

To cover the front strut adjuster and protect the bearing I used a pair of (I think) M3 strut covers. I will find the part number from my records if you require it.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Stormy_be

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Stormy_be »

Thanks for the info.
What springs do you have on them?

What do you mean with "strut covers"?
Now I have a black cover on the strut tower. But there the adjustment screw is on the same place with the yellow koni's.
Or do you take the knob off and then put the cover on the strut?

Thanks, Koen
Mr Silver

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Mr Silver »

Hi Koen, I used my standard springs again as I didn't want to lower my suspension. I understand what you're saying. The adjusting knob with the pack (mine is red) is only used for making changes to the settings and are not intended to be fitted all the time. The adjusting shaft (sticking up) makes it impossible to use the original black dust/bearing cover so an M3 cover can be used instead. Looks good too!

Hope this helps.

Regards and compliments of the season.
Stormy_be

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Stormy_be »

My right front coil spring has broken in the bottom dish. So it needs to be replaced anyway. Just don't know if I should put the eibachs or the h&r's on it. Eibach used to be with the koni's. Now they are linked with h&r. Does anyone know which are harder and which are softer?

Thanks, Koen

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

It must be Z3M front struts that are inserts, when I looked into a kit for my Coupe the fronts were inserts and the price was relatively cheap because of that.