H&R ARB's

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
Captain

Z3 roadster 2.8

H&R ARB's

Post by Captain »

Looking for some advice regarding the above, I'm thinking of changing to these on my 2.8 roadster. Would like to hear from those that have made the change and whether you did both or just the front, I understand that by just doing the front it can cause oversteer, others say it's fine to only change the front which improves the body roll. Like to hear your comments.
ImageImage
siwilson

M roadster S54

Re: H&R ARB's

Post by siwilson »

I have both front and rear fitted to my M. They definitely make a difference in reducing body roll for flatter cornering and more stable transitions. There are downsides though. You get a slightly harsher ride as a bump on one wheel is transferred across to the other side. not much, but noticeable. They also put more stress the ARB mounting points. This can lead to reduced life of your front drop-links (no big deal) and broken mountings on the rear which requires welding to repair.

A stiffer bar will actually reduce grip at that end, so a stiffer front will induce understeer, not oversteer.

What problem are you having now?
2001 M roadster S54 Laguna Seca Blue
Captain

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Captain »

siwilson wrote:I have both front and rear fitted to my M. They definitely make a difference in reducing body roll for flatter cornering and more stable transitions. There are downsides though. You get a slightly harsher ride as a bump on one wheel is transferred across to the other side. not much, but noticeable. They also put more stress the ARB mounting points. This can lead to reduced life of your front drop-links (no big deal) and broken mountings on the rear which requires welding to repair.

A stiffer bar will actually reduce grip at that end, so a stiffer front will induce understeer, not oversteer.

What problem are you having now?
Thanks for the feedback Siwilson, I did a search before posting and did see a few members that had problems with mountings. Interesting that you say the ride is slightly harsher, I don't want to make my car any harsher than it already is, as the car is lowered and I'm running 19" wheels. You are quite correct in saying the car will understeer not oversteer, typo on my part :oops: I'm not having any problems at the moment as the car handles well, just thought by adding the ARB's it would be even better :)
ImageImage
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

I fitted H&R ARBs to my car, and as Si had said it does make a difference in perceived body roll whilst in the car. The ARBs come with new bushes as part of the package so this helps tighten up the car also. When changing over on to the new bars I also took the opportunity to replace the rear drop links and mounting brackets.

IMO a great mod that does not cost too much.
Captain

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Captain »

Brian H wrote:I fitted H&R ARBs to my car, and as Si had said it does make a difference in perceived body roll whilst in the car. The ARBs come with new bushes as part of the package so this helps tighten up the car also. When changing over on to the new bars I also took the opportunity to replace the rear drop links and mounting brackets.

IMO a great mod that does not cost too much.
Thanks for the info Brian H, I think I'm going to go ahead and order a set, also as you suggest replace the rear drop links and mountings while fitting them.
ImageImage
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

Definitely a worthwhile upgrade, they make the car handle much more precisely and the cars feels a whole lot more stable on the road.

Ride takes a small hit, but I don't notice it anymore - it's only really in slow situations where you're driving on a very bumpy uneven road.

As above the rear mountings on the trailing arm need reinforcing for last as they are very weak from the factory to start with.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

c_w wrote: As above the rear mountings on the trailing arm need reinforcing for last as they are very weak from the factory to start with.
Just reinforced mine, let's see how long they last this time after a weekend jaunt :)
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Captain

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Captain »

Gazza wrote:
c_w wrote: As above the rear mountings on the trailing arm need reinforcing for last as they are very weak from the factory to start with.
Just reinforced mine, let's see how long they last this time after a weekend jaunt :)[/quote
Gazza how do you reinforce the mounts, as I'm going to have to do this when I install mine. Seems to be a problem with these ARB's
ImageImage
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Small triangular bracket x2 made to fit under the droplink mount on the trailing arm and welded to the trailing arm.

I did mine as this thread except I used a bracket either side of the droplink mounting point.

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthrea ... post149237
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Captain

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Captain »

Gazza wrote:Small triangular bracket x2 made to fit under the droplink mount on the trailing arm and welded to the trailing arm.

I did mine as this thread except I used a bracket either side of the droplink mounting point.

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthrea ... post149237
Thanks for the info Gazza, now know exactly what needs to be done :D
ImageImage