Tuning questions for M43 (Not kidding :P)

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Tuning questions for M43 (Not kidding :P)

Post by Inferno »

Does anybody knows WITHOUT PRECISION ofcourse, how much HP can M43 gain with the installation of air filter, exhaust, camshaft, and ecu tuning?
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Re: Tuning questions for M43 (Not kidding :P)

Post by Inferno »

I am currently have installed an air filter, and a magnaflow back box, do you think that installing schrick cam, ECU programm, and stainless steel exhaust headers worths the costs?
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

...... yep.... the cams are good for power, but you don't need a new ECU - just have your OEM ECU re-callibrated to accommodate the changes of the new cams. The SS headers won't change much unless it's a special branch header which allows less back pressure.......:wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

how much hp do you believe it can reach with all that? (i don't expect much) for example i know that with a filter, exhaust and ecu reprogramming you can get around 10hp, but i have no idea about the camshaft...
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

10 - 15 HP..... The main benefit is added power in the mid to high rpm, and added torque in that range. You must also consider stronger valve springs to go with the cams. They need to shut a little quicker and stay shut with the higher lift cams.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

10-15Hp from all that, or from just the cam?
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

My understanding is that "higher lift" camshafts will give slightly more BHP at the expense of torque at lower revs. So in a racetrack situation when high revs are being used, there would be a small BHP gain but for normal road use the benefit would be questionable. You may also cause a lumpier idle, higher fuel consumption and need to make other alterations to cope i.e a remap. My own opinion is that when you are using a normally aspirated car on the road, you are quite limited with the "tuning" alterations you can make other than ensuring that the car is in tip-top standard service and tune condition.

Personally (must admit I am a bit boring :)) as you have the single cam 1.9 M43, I would focus on things like new top quality spark plugs, possible renewal of the HT leads (1.9 feature only), getting the injectors cleaned and new air filter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQN-0zvZNbY
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

i've got the 1.8 SOHC engine not the 1.9, (they are almost the same anyway i think), 1.000€ for that little gain is not worth it i think, for the same kind of money i can put the M44 1.9is, i have top quality spurk plugs and new free air filter, i will look on the HT leads renewal you mention
Dikiy

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Dikiy »

Funny question, but I`ve faced it)))
My Z3 `99 with M43 POWER)))
Ex. manifold was taken from M42(somebody says that it has similar length for each cylinder :) ) and connected with spec. plate of M43 head.
sebring

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by sebring »

isn't it cheaper to put a 2.8 into it?

193bhp out of the box - put a m50 manifold on it and you got around 220-230bhp