Cleaning ABS sensors

Repository of 'how to do' articles relating to the Z3 and M roadster/coupe
PooBear

blank.gif

Cleaning ABS sensors

Post by PooBear »

I have for sometime had problems with the traction control light staying on and not going off.

So after a little investigation and digging around I went ahead and done this, from the two below images you can see the location of the sensors both front and rear:

Front (item 7)

Rear (item 11)

After jacking the car up and taking the wheel off, these are easily found on the back of the hub.

To remove mine I had to take not only WD40 to it, but also had to use a long screw driver so I could use it to give me enough leverage to slide the sensor out.

Once the sensor is out I just gave it a good clean and replaced, if you need to remove the sensor and replace just follow the cable to the grey socket and disconnect.

Al
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

i take it there quiet difficult to take off with all the crap built up round them??
the badness makes me do it...!

PooBear

blank.gif

Post by PooBear »

Let's just say it was a challenge :)

The screw driver was used to lever them out just to give enough pressure so I could slide it out by hand.

Al
PooBear

blank.gif

Post by PooBear »

swamper all I would say is have some WD40, clean rags, torx head set and a long screw driver so you can use the shaft of the driver on the top of the sensor.

Like I said mine were so tight I couldn't budget it with just my hands. I need the assistance of screw driver :)