Post by markrnorton »

Bimmerflex is this sundat, 4th July in Esher, Surrey

anybody going or meeting up there ??
Still modifying
yalden

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by yalden »

I'll be taking the 200 mile trip!

Route planner estimates 4hrs drive, so I'll have to leave Cornwall around 4am and get there early to clean the car up! 8-)

I went two years ago and had a good time, no where near as good as Gaydon but you've got to make the most of BMW shows 8-)
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Too far for me :bawl: but I have got my display pass for Gaydon :D
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

nothing should be too far !!!

i'll be there, unless it rains
Still modifying
S54James

Z4 sDrive35iS

Post by S54James »

Hi

We may be there in our s54 mroadster

regards

Nick
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Alfie »

I went to this today, but not in RED.

For us Zedders, it was really disappointing. The Yalden mean-machine was the only Zed...yep, the ONLY zed amongst hundreds of BMWs...! That Zed looks fab. Should sell really easily.

I did see an Estoril Z3M stopped on the track behind the (stupidly loud) sound tent (I guess that was you James?) but it drove off before I could get closer look. Shame. Would've loved a shufty round that car!

There were lots of ///M3s some new but mostly old, in various states of chopping, some nice, some not so....

There were some trade stands, but not many. The event was really just a big gathering of young guys into modding old beamers.

An interesting diversion for an hour, but for me not really worth the £10 each to get in. (Didn't see THAT on the website!)

Cheers.
A.
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

Have to agree with that. the show was a bit 'pants' for want of a better phrase.

there was one good conversion though, an E30 cab with an M60 V8 shoehorned in, it was tight like a ..... you know the phrase.

nice tidy conversion though
Still modifying
yalden

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by yalden »

I quite enjoyed the day, it was nice to catch up with a few old friends.

In amongst the 500+ cars there were some real gems, especially of the E30 M3 and E28 variety.

As with any show, there were also copious amounts of tasteless cars on show. My biggest concern came at the trophy/prize giving...

One guy won 3 throphies (best e36, most creative car, 1st place car of show) for his phoenix yellow e36 318is. Granted he'd carried out some impressive engine work, TB'd with an impreza turbo, meaning his engine was now putting out 2.8 power. But engine aside, the bodywork was tired looking, the rear arches were rotten throughout and the interior was typical stripped & caged with two bucket seats.

I feel he perhaps deserved most creative for the unique engine work, but best e36 and best car of show?? I'm not too sure...

I was also a little confused as to why 'Best Convertible' went to a brand new M3 that had a very poor quality carbon fibre vinyl wrapped over it's bonnet and fold-top roof and some tacky eyebrows. Surely this is just a sign of money and little taste??

I didn't walk away empty handed though, I won best wheels, which of course I have no reason to rant about :oops:
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Alfie »

yalden wrote:I didn't walk away empty handed though, I won best wheels, which of course I have no reason to rant about :oops:
Well done! A worthy win.
Personally the 'stretched' tyre look is not for me, but it certainly exacerbates those really wide rims...

Yep, there were a lot better all-round examples than that Phoenix. Strange choice for best-in-show.

Why do you think that Zeds are effectively absent from that show?
Maybe coz our cars don't appeal to the 'young bucks' that were strutting around in the sunshine showing off their tattoos, tans and well defined biceps? :lol:

Sorry we didn't get to chat.
There was nobody around your car when we were there.

A.
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

bloody hell, the e36 got best car !!

should have taken mine !! but i couldnt stand the noise, thats the only reason i came in the mini !!

not a good show at all.
Still modifying
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

apart from..

as i said M60 in an E30 cab
very neat

Still modifying
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

Alfie wrote:Why do you think that Zeds are effectively absent from that show?

A.
Maybe because you can only carry one mate with you or maybe it's the unjustified hairdressors car tag at work again.
yalden

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by yalden »

Alfie wrote:Well done! A worthy win.
Personally the 'stretched' tyre look is not for me, but it certainly exacerbates those really wide rims...

Sorry we didn't get to chat.
There was nobody around your car when we were there.

A.
Thanks Alfie, no worries with the differing attitude towards stretched tyres, I really wanted to carry some dish on the wheels and I'd rather substitute significant arch work with some stretched rubber!

My car was in a pretty poor spot, people that saw it seemed keen to take a few photos and I had a good chat with a fair few people who caught me whilst I was grabbing food from my boot throughout the day! Unfortunately I didn't take a camera and have been through various forums to try and find photos of mine, out of the hundreds I've seen - there's been none of mine :oops: :lol:

I'm pretty sure the Estoril Z3m wasn't a forum member, it was a '98 S52; I spotted the owner sat on the door with his feet on the seat and arm over the windscreen surround; not something many of us guys would probably do?
BenZ3-2.0

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by BenZ3-2.0 »

I have been to this a few times and it is always the same. More an E30 day apart fromt the bling of the brand new motors. Same cars from what i have seen and similar problems with awards. You have to be 'in' with the 'in' crowd to get a look in and there never seems to be much love for the Z lol.

Glad i didnt bother. I had a much better day erecting my 10 x 10 workshop for the track car. Although my shoulders still hurt from being burnt!!!
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

maybe next year we should organise a Z3 assault, all meet up and head down there !!

:D
Still modifying
yalden

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by yalden »

markrnorton wrote:maybe next year we should organise a Z3 assault, all meet up and head down there !!

:D
That'd be good 8-)
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

Sounds like a plan for next year then :)

Just need a good turnout to the santa pod event this year that Ian sorts
If you read this, make the effort and go

It was a good show last year, and this year i will be running up the strip ! :P
Still modifying
Ian_C

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Ian_C »

markrnorton wrote:
Just need a good turnout to the santa pod event this year that Ian sorts
If you read this, make the effort and go

It was a good show last year, and this year i will be running up the strip ! :P
Thanks for the plug Mark :thumb:

I'll be sending off the order form for all the zroadster passes and tickets next week so if you want to be included then let me know: http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24889
Current...1998 ///M Coupe
Previously...1997 Z3 2.8
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

Need to rally some people Ian, this is mainly because when my car blows i can get a lift home !!!

:lol:
Still modifying
BenZ3-2.0

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by BenZ3-2.0 »

I will be down the pod again. Not far for me. Was quality last time to see Snatch's LS3 engined Z going up the strip.