Car change time... ... insight please from MZ4 owners

For the M Powered Z4 derivatives
Chris Xoe

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Car change time... ... insight please from MZ4 owners

Post by Chris Xoe »

Hi,

I'll be changing my daily workhorse in the next few months.

I do 25-30 k miles per year.

I currently run a 2006 3.0si sport roadster (manual) and have 'sort of' short listed the following for test drives.

1. MZ4 coupe :) (1st choice)
2. MZ4 roadster
3. New Audi TT 3.2 with DSG gearbox.

Can anyone advise on real running costs with the first two please? I can pick them easily now with a few thousand on the clock for around £28-32k - their 'real price' I think...

oil, insp 1, insp 2 costs?

Fuel consumption (typically combined motorway etc.) I get about 30mpg combined commuting at present (I know this will be worse!)

Any big issues that anyone has come across?

Thanks for your insights.

Chris.
PERRIN Z3M

M roadster S50

Post by PERRIN Z3M »

I don't own any of these cars but Imo i would without any shadow of a doubt buy a z4m coupe.
The Colonel

Z4 M roadster

Post by The Colonel »

My Z4M is undoubtedly the best car I've owned. The things that continue to amaze me about it are just how comfy it is (drove from Menton to Calais in a day - only sheer tiredness made me stop), and the reasonable fuel consumption I get (27mpg, mixed driving), given its power and pace. It's even reasonable to insure (£515 (£150 excess), garaged in east London). I've not yet come across any downsides yet. I have a silly grin on my face just sitting here typing...and looking forward to another sunny day of top-down driving tomorrow!

I've only driven a 3.0 Z4 Coupe, but I can only imagine that the M Coupe is no less shabby than the Roadster, so your choice will come down to if you want top down motoring or not.

The TT? My wife has an A3 3.2 with the DSG 'box (basically the same car I imagine). It is very, very good. But!...it is not the most exciting car in the world to drive. The DSG while very slick, combined with the 4 wheel drive makes the drive quite dull and soul-less. It does everything well, but just doesn't give the urge to just go out and drive like the Z4 does.

Chris, check your PM.

greg_ch

Z4 M roadster

Post by greg_ch »

The Colonel wrote:... and the reasonable fuel consumption I get (27mpg, mixed driving), given its power and pace.
You must have a light foot I've never averaged better than low twenties which is inline with most people I know.
Ian in Lancs

Z4 roadster 2.5i

Post by Ian in Lancs »

greg_ch wrote:
The Colonel wrote:... and the reasonable fuel consumption I get (27mpg, mixed driving), given its power and pace.
You must have a light foot I've never averaged better than low twenties which is inline with most people I know.
I've got 24.5 mpg over 5000mls and get about 27-28mpg cruising at 70ish
DavidM
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by DavidM »

I dream of those kind of figures - if I get 19 mpg I have been driving like Miss Daisy

:D
Nick

Porsche

Re: Car change time... ... insight please from MZ4 owners

Post by Nick »

Chris Xoe wrote:
2. MZ4 roadster

Those are all great cars, but ask if your local Porsche dealer will let you borrow a Cayman S for an afternoon.

:)
pop_sausage

Z4 M roadster

Post by pop_sausage »

Nick wrote:
Chris Xoe wrote:
2. MZ4 roadster

Those are all great cars, but ask if your local Porsche dealer will let you borrow a Cayman S for an afternoon.

then that will put your mind at ease and you'll definitely plump for the MZ4 :twisted: :wink:
Last edited by pop_sausage on Sun 03 Feb, 2008 19:56, edited 1 time in total.
Nick

Porsche

Post by Nick »

pop_sausage wrote: then that will put your mind at easy and you'll definitely plump for the MZ4 :twisted: :wink:
I know the nimble accurate handling of the Cayman wouldn't suit everyone.

:lol:
DavidM
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by DavidM »

Cheapest approved used Cayman is at least 6k outside of the budget - for a model with 55k on the clock!
Nick

Porsche

Post by Nick »

DavidM wrote:Cheapest approved used Cayman is at least 6k outside of the budget - for a model with 55k on the clock!
In that case I would choose the Z4M Coupe.

Michael

Z4 M roadster

Post by Michael »

21.5 mpg from new over 9000miles. Less than that when I'm enjoying myself.

Insurance at £515 sounds a bargain. Who's that with?
TrickyZ1

Z1 roadster

Post by TrickyZ1 »

Get the Z4 coupe, it'll put a smile on your face every time you look at it and drive it. Unless you're a hairdesser that it, then go for the titty. :devil:
Image Image

Seduced by the zed side
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

I reckon the Coupe will hold it's value better, based on the Z3mc vs the Z3m.
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
smartypants

Other roadster

Post by smartypants »

Got a friend reluctantly selling his only just aquired Z4M in your price bracket if you are interested!

Its on pistonheads:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/447042.htm

Its such a toss up between the Coupe and the Soft top... I have driven a convertible zed for 4 years now and dont think I could give it up so I am biased, but the coupe is a much better looking car!