Soon to be an obsessed z3 owner.

Details of how to register as a zroadster.net user, plus tips on day-to-day usage
Dave'z3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Soon to be an obsessed z3 owner.

Post by Dave'z3 »

Hey guys and girls,

I've been in love with the z3 since I first saw it in Goldeneye (OOOF!) being 24 I haven't been able to realistically think about getting my own one till now. I have my mini cooper up for sale and hoping to sell it ASAP (go easy on me, I know its a bit of a girls car). I have been reading over this forum, dribbling at all your cars and got down to 3 colours; the Montreal blue, Black and Silver. It's not that I don't like the other colours - just personal preference and if I got red it would clash with my hair (yes I'm ginger...glad I got that over with).

I think I've blabbed on enough but couldn't keep just reading as it would have felt rude not introducing myself...*reads back over post*

Hi my names Dave, I'm 24 enjoy long drives, looking at - talking about - thinking about - or doing anything else involving cars...

Will keep you all updated on what happens, but I hope to get one SOON!!

"Chow for now!"

Dave

PS - I know asking about which colour is like asking you which one of your kids is your "bestest"...so I haven't (don't want my first post to cause a war :shock:.
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

silvers the way to go Dave...........there faster ... :D
welcome to the forum...let the war begin :D
the badness makes me do it...!

Dave'z3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Dave'z3 »

Thanks for the welcome! I had heard that actually...but I also heard that the Blue gets you better MPG? /discuss

When in doubt...fuel the fire! At least you'll be warm :P
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

Dave'z3 wrote:Thanks for the welcome! I had heard that actually...but I also heard that the Blue gets you better MPG? /discuss

When in doubt...fuel the fire! At least you'll be warm :P
Welcome!

Obviously the blue ones get more MPG as they don't go as fast as the silver ones and they tend to sit in the garage most of the year doing 99.9 MPG as the owners are so ashamed of them being blue and not silver so they hide them away :D
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
Justin Time

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Justin Time »

Nah, Velvet Blue is the way forward, I've only counted 4 so far from the UK. ;) As for MPG, I don't keep track: with the amount of fun I have with my Z I don't intend on getting depressed over fuel bills! Can't imagine it would be over 30 though. :twisted:
Last edited by Justin Time on Fri 25 Mar, 2011 18:47, edited 1 time in total.
BMW Z3 2.0L Velvet Blue Individual Edition
Jewell

M roadster S50

Post by Jewell »

Na, black ones have got a top coat
Dave L2

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dave L2 »

Welcome.

Shame you've ruled out Red, but at least that still leaves me in the "Exclusive" club :D
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Re: Soon to be an obsessed z3 owner.

Post by GazHyde »

Dave'z3 wrote:I have my mini cooper up for sale and hoping to sell it ASAP (go easy on me, I know its a bit of a girls car)
I do hope Coopers aren't a girls car, as my other car is one! :oops:

Seriously though, welcome to the forum!

Any colours fine as long as its SILVER!! :D
Buz007

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Buz007 »

Dave, Welcome

Goldeneye is also how I managed to fall in love with the Z3 due to my combine obsession with alls things cars and 007! go for the blue! check mine out on

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... light=bond

make sure you get pics up when youve bought it! :D
''need I remind you 007, you have a licence to kill...not to break the traffic laws''
Dave'z3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Dave'z3 »

Thanks for the welcomes all! Oh my...what have I sparked off? Good to see banter already! My current car looks like this:

Which to be fair...for a mini - pretty beefy! Once I've sold this I'll be looking for my z3 soon and ofc will get all the photos up! Will be like a new father with 1000s of pics.

PS - Buz - OOOF sexual car...
BimBeema

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by BimBeema »

Dave'z3 wrote: I have my mini cooper up for sale and hoping to sell it ASAP (go easy on me, I know its a bit of a girls car).
Erm - so you going for a hairdresser's car! :lol: - yes I know I own one too and I get stick for it!

Seriously though welcome to the forum and black, red, estoril blue and phoenix yellow are the best colours imho - though white I think is very cool too and very rare.
Jamezee

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Jamezee »

Greeting's, I see your cooper is zilver in colour (or is that my eyes) a man of taste. :)
Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one. Harry Callahan.

BMW dust caps x 4 (replica)
Little Tree Air Freshener-Vanillaroma (now worn out and in the bin)
2006 AA road atlas (with the latest safety cameras)
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

Welcome! Na Topaz is the colour to go for.... :wink:
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
sidtheranger

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by sidtheranger »

Hmmm, a lot of delusion here. Obviously Boston Green is by far the best, especially for cornering.
Anyhow, welcome Dave and despite the colour, just enjoy the thrill of the Zed.

Fire up the Zed..... :)
Blessed are the Cheesemakers
Dave'z3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Dave'z3 »

Thanks LOADS for all the welcomes - always tried to get involved with the community and have never really ended up attending any meets or cruses. Get the feeling I'm going to be changing that this time. Will keep you all posted and I had forgotten about Boston green, really like the z3s in the green...spoiled for choice!

Thanks again guys!
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Welcome on board Dave, the minis are great fun (I did £30+k in mine in 12 months) but not as much as the Z's :wink:

ps mine used to be silver but I got it finished in red :D
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
billz

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by billz »

Welcomme to the club Dave, just make sure you have fun trying out as many as possible till you find the right one, makes looking for a car a pleasure, ooh and always pick good weather to test drive in then can do loads of top down motoring at others expence :lol:
bill
Image ImageImageUploaded with ImageShack.com
Z3 3.0 Sports Sold
Z4 3.0si Ruby Black with Champagne Leather and Piano Black Dash
Hang_em_high

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Hang_em_high »

Welcome Dave. You'll love this forum, its the best there is. Sold both my Zeds now and they still cant rid of me :D
Have to keep my hand in though for when I get round to getting the Z4 :wink:
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Alfie »

You don't want red....
Red is just yukky.
:clown:

Welcome.

A.
Dave'z3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Dave'z3 »

I'm deffo going to enjoy being a part of this forum. I get obsessed with the cars I have and love that I have some where to come and talk with equally obsessed z owners.

Never felt so welcome on a forum, you guys are clearly awesome. Can't wait to get my car and go on my first meet/cruise to meet all you lovely people! Also its nice to see females (wives/female owners) as that may encourage my (better) half to get more interested in cars...we can only hope!

Just got back from having a look at a z3 W reg 79000 miles in the light blue (same as the one in Goldeneye / Buz007's). May have fallen in love a little bit...dark brown/black interior that caused me to almost soil myself when i got into it.

Thanks again all and BRING ON THE SUNSHINE (even if I am ginger and will be extra crispy after a day...ok an hour)
seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by seasurfer »

Its a welcome from me too :wave best engine is the 2.8 (37-38 mpg out of mine) and by far the best colour is Black :D

Its a great forum here, and a wealth of interesting reading, help, advice and of course it helps if you have a sense of humour, because if you dont buy the right colour, well, all hell will break loose :D in a nice way of course :wink:

Happy Hunting

Gill
Last edited by seasurfer on Sat 26 Mar, 2011 19:44, edited 1 time in total.
[/url]
ImageImageImage
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Welcome to the forum Dave,

You obviously have a good taste in the colour of your cars, so silver has to be a natural choice :wink:

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
zedwheels

Z1 Alpina Roadster

Post by zedwheels »

Hi Dave and welcome to the forum. :wave You could always check out forum members who are selling thier zeds, couldnt do better than to buy a previously cherished and looked after machine.
And Black's the choice. :drive
jontymo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by jontymo »

Welcome

So you want to blend in with the crowd :twisted:

Greens the way to go especially with a nice beige interior LOL

Seriously though don't rush in and buy the 1st car you see unless it is a beauty! and if you see something and are not sure sleep on it and come on here and ask as many questions as you need to.

Lots of good friendly advice on here and if you can get to a cruise or a day out we have you will see the type of cars you want to look out for.

Jontymo
1998 2.8 Roadster "Gone but not forgotten"
Jackster

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Jackster »

Echo what Jontymo said Green is the way to go! Oxford II being especially nice! Have you decided what engine size yet?
TaffZee

blank

Post by TaffZee »

Dave'z3 wrote:I'm deffo going to enjoy being a part of this forum. I get obsessed with the cars I have and love that I have some where to come and talk with equally obsessed z owners.

Never felt so welcome on a forum, you guys are clearly awesome. Can't wait to get my car and go on my first meet/cruise to meet all you lovely people! Also its nice to see females (wives/female owners) as that may encourage my (better) half to get more interested in cars...we can only hope!

Just got back from having a look at a z3 W reg 79000 miles in the light blue (same as the one in Goldeneye / Buz007's). May have fallen in love a little bit...dark brown/black interior that caused me to almost soil myself when i got into it.

Thanks again all and BRING ON THE SUNSHINE (even if I am ginger and will be extra crispy after a day...ok an hour)
Thats the best colour :thumb: Welcome to the madhouse :wink:
Image1998 Atlanta Blue 2.8
G2JRP

M roadster S50

Post by G2JRP »

Blue all the way for me, my first zed was montreal blue and my present is estoril.

Happy hunting as this is part of the fun, the right car is always out there.
ImageImageImage

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Dave'z3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Dave'z3 »

I've been purving over all your cars...they all look amazing, and the mods that you've done on your cars have given me a serious urge to follow suit and put my own personal touch on the car. I love the fact that you've all kept them looking classy...I saw a z3 for sale on ebay that looked like Halfords had thrown up over it. Was sad to see such a classically lined car RUINED. You guys are going to cost me a fortune...never said "I want that one" so much in my life..the list SO FAR...

- Dual Halo Chrome Projector Headlights
- Angel eyes
- Xenon bulbs
- Chrome roll bars

and that's before I've got the car or even know for sure what colour I'm getting!

You guys have really made me feel part of the club already and if it takes me a while to get the right car I will deffo take your advise and come to a meet anyway just to have a look.

Oh and I'm sticking to a 2.0 - 2.2i as I have a heavy foot, I'm still young and most of my cars have been FWD. Don't want to bin it and its enough power for me at the moment.
Hang_em_high

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Hang_em_high »

Dave'z3 wrote:I've been purving over all your cars...they all look amazing, and the mods that you've done on your cars have given me a serious urge to follow suit and put my own personal touch on the car. I love the fact that you've all kept them looking classy...I saw a z3 for sale on ebay that looked like Halfords had thrown up over it. Was sad to see such a classically lined car RUINED. You guys are going to cost me a fortune...never said "I want that one" so much in my life..the list SO FAR...

- Dual Halo Chrome Projector Headlights
- Angel eyes
- Xenon bulbs
- Chrome roll bars

and that's before I've got the car or even know for sure what colour I'm getting!

You guys have really made me feel part of the club already and if it takes me a while to get the right car I will deffo take your advise and come to a meet anyway just to have a look.

Oh and I'm sticking to a 2.0 - 2.2i as I have a heavy foot, I'm still young and most of my cars have been FWD. Don't want to bin it and its enough power for me at the moment.

Go with the 2.2 if that is the choice options. Never been a better time to buy a 2.2 as they were fetching a premium this time last year. It's also an engine size you wont bore with over time,and you can't beat the engine note they produce.
Dave'z3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Dave'z3 »

Hang_em_high wrote:Go with the 2.2 if that is the choice options. Never been a better time to buy a 2.2 as they were fetching a premium this time last year. It's also an engine size you wont bore with over time,and you can't beat the engine note they produce.
Thank you :D I was looking at a 2.0 yesterday and the engine note sounded nice, but im going to go have a look on the interweb to see what it sounds like...as im sad like that. :D
Dave'z3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Dave'z3 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpV7nMgB4yE

Oh that did naughty things to me in special places....if you catch my drift...you were SO very right.
Hang_em_high

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Hang_em_high »

I had my 2.8 sat next to Ragtops 2.2 and his was a far sweeter sound than the 2.8 it was also quicker up and down the revs and not so ponderous.
Wait until you hear the 2.2 in the flesh :D
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

You wouldn't catch me in a silver Z3......

cos they are much faster..... it's the extra weight of topcoat on the others. :D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Dave'z3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Dave'z3 »

gookah wrote:You wouldn't catch me in a silver Z3......

cos they are much faster..... it's the extra weight of topcoat on the others. :D
:D:D

The 2.2 seems to be out of my budget unless i want to go over 100k miles. I'm aiming to sell/part ex my car and then be able to buy and insure the z3 without laying out any more money. The one I like at the moment is a 2.0 and is the right money so think I will have to "settle" for a 2.0. I'll be going from a 1.6 to a 2ltr anyway so Its going to seem a lot faster. I've driven my mums 206cc that has a 2 ltr engine and its a lot faster than mine. So the z3 is going to feel RAPID for me anyway. But you're right...the 2.2 sound is VERY nice (mind you, im sure a new exhaust could help the 2.0 sound gruntier?).
Buz007

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Buz007 »

have you decided on a colour dave? I have to recommend the 'goldeneye' Atlanta Blue! :D
''need I remind you 007, you have a licence to kill...not to break the traffic laws''
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

Dave'z3 wrote: I know asking about which colour is like asking you which one of your kids is your "bestest"...so I haven't (don't want my first post to cause a war :shock:.
Dave - you have PM :wink:

PS - The answer is pink
Image :devil:
Dave'z3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Dave'z3 »

Buz007 wrote:have you decided on a colour dave? I have to recommend the 'goldeneye' Atlanta Blue! :D
Its funny you should ask. The 2.0 that im looking at and negotiating with a dealer about is Atlanta Blue with DARK brown interior. Really like it, will see how it goes. Also I'm taking heed of the advice to worry more about the mechanics of the car than the colour.
Titan wrote: Dave - you have PM :wink:

PS - The answer is pink
Thanks Terry - I've replied. Not sure about pink - but it definitely makes a statement!
snoops

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by snoops »

Dave'z3 wrote:.......and I had forgotten about Boston green, really like the z3s in the green...spoiled for choice!

Thanks again guys!
Hi Dave

Big Zed welcome from me, been "off-line" for a bit but reading your post I see you have an eye for quality and know the colour that a little sports car should be :D

Happy hunting, you'll know when you've found the right one, take your time and buy wisely :drive
Image...........No Mods...... I like him just the way he is
theduck

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by theduck »

Good luck with your search. I recently (Saturday!) bought a 2.0 Z3, and I love it! Just sold a Clio 197 Cup, and was worried that the 2.0 would feel slow in comparison, but in all honesty, upto legal speeds, it feels easily as fast, so will feel brilliant coming from the cooper.
Dave'z3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Dave'z3 »

Thanks guys and welcome to you too theduck mines the standard too only a 1.6. Can't wait!

The 2 that ive been most tempted by recently have both been blue. 1 was the Montreal blue and the other is the bond blue...
Dave'z3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Dave'z3 »

I've found a cheap one that looks very clean..is 100k miles too leggy to buy? or is it more about the mechanics of that individual car and how its been maintained?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Ps - I would be taking a friend of mine thats a z3 owner and a mechanic to look at it.
theduck

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by theduck »

Price, spec and history dependent I wouldnt be put off by milage. These cars are getting older now and will be on highr milage. The one I bought recently is on 91k, but feels a lot younger!
Dave'z3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Dave'z3 »

Thanks for the quick reply. The one that I looked at has 80 000 and the gearbox still felt tight.

£3500

bmw z3 2.2 roadster limited edition 1 OWNER CONVERTIBLE blue manual electric window and mirrors heated mirrors cruise control climate control traction control FULL couler coaded leather interior HEATED seats alloy wheels with brand new tires L.E.D diff had full service in november TAX&MOT

REALLY good looking car imo...but going from an 05 with 25000 when i bought it and drove it up to 49 to go to 100k its a bit scary :P
billz

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by billz »

Its not 100k its 80k :lol: will probably take you 2 to 3yrs before its done 100k. I used to buy 80k cars back in the 80s and didnt have a problem, these motors especially the straight sixes are good for upto 200k if they are looked after. Buying an 80k motor wouldnt put me off if i felt it was the right one, luckily ours only had 46k on it when we bought it.
bill
Image ImageImageUploaded with ImageShack.com
Z3 3.0 Sports Sold
Z4 3.0si Ruby Black with Champagne Leather and Piano Black Dash
theduck

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by theduck »

As above, 80k is a long way off 100k still. That sound a very good price though for that spec and mileage from a dealer, which always makes me dubious.
AW8

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by AW8 »

2001 2.2i here with 118k on clock. IMO 100k miles is not the residual or reliabilty trigger point it used to be for used cars. I've heard of 300k or more being expected from cared for BMW 6 cylinder engines.

The prior more common place process of clocking cars has significantly reduced in recent years & not least to mileages being recorded on databases in so many places now. Hence we now see far more cars for sale with over 100k miles often with full or part history. In years past it was more commonplace for used cars of all makes to be advertised for sale sub 100k miles and spookily with prior history claimed lost or misplaced.

Z3 not new so expect to keep on top of things if buying & daily driver & using as same. Expect the odd ball joint, bush, corrosion &/or wear/tear issues..............(Low mile garage queens - whilst often stunning, are often protected from daily mileage, potholes, winter & salt issues).

I would seek more info re "limited edition" status as the term is often used without substance or to decieve buyers.
Black Z3 2.2 & Black X5 4.4 Sport.
Z3Topaz22

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Z3Topaz22 »

Welcome to the forum, I too have just come to terms with the obsession that is the Z3....

I purchased mine with the intention of curing my Jaguar obsession !!

Clearly it hasn't worked as I'm now hooked on both ... guess I'm just a caroholic or something.

Best wishes in finding the Z3 you want... just my personal opinion but I would seek out a 6 cylinder version as that engine is very robust and it does sound sweet!!
Driving for pleasure.... not for purpose!

2001/Y BMW Z3 2.2i Roadster / Topaz Blue

ImageImageImageImage
Dave'z3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Dave'z3 »

Thanks guys,

I've gone into overdrive now you've all kind of confirmed what my friend had said about 100k miles not being the end of the world. I had put a lot more 2.2i z3s into my price range. I went to test drive a 2.2 yesterday and it sounded gorgeous - the tone on it is exactly what I would have been looking to do with an aftermarket exhaust anyway. I got a similar performance out of it without going over 2k rpm that i would get out my mini if i went to about 4/5. Deffo a little in love!

Your advice has been invaluable as I have been really nervous about getting the right one and Its been great to have an encyclopaedic database of people that actually own and love the car themselves. :D

top of the list atm is:

http://images.merclandwhittleford.co.uk ... 40x480.jpg

2 Doors, Manual, Convertible, Petrol, 104,864 miles, Metallic Topaz Blue, MOT-04-2012, 3 Owners. This Stunning Z3 is offered to you by Mercland. 2.2 Litre Engine, Manual Transmission, Full Black Leather Interior, Heated Seats, Part Electric Seats, 17" M Sport Alloy Wheels, M Sport Steering Wheel & Gear Lever, CD Player + 6 CD Changer, Electric Windows, Air Conditioning, All Spare Keys Included, Full Service History & Comes Fully Serviced From Us, In Excellent Condition. We Offer Competitive Finance Facilities and this car comes with 3 months parts & labour warranty.
£4,690
Dave'z3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Dave'z3 »

Today was the day that I went from a "soon to be" to a "truly"...These are a few of the soon to be many photos of my car. There are a couple of things that need doing, but I'm really happy with the car! Two of the main problems that I'm having with the car, is that it causes me to speak in an unnaturally high voice and also my cheeks hurt from all the grinning.

What a first day...Roll on tomorrow when I will be going on my first of many cruises in Kent (organised by ragtop).

Thanks for all your warm welcomes and advice it really helped and stopped me badgering my friend who know a lot about them quite as much as I would have!
seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by seasurfer »

What happened to the blue one? did i miss something?

Anyway, silver zed it is, gorgeous day for zedding around today - you'll have a very big grin for a long time :D

Gill
[/url]
ImageImageImage