Jap car fan going for a Z3

Details of how to register as a zroadster.net user, plus tips on day-to-day usage
stevenb

Not specified

Jap car fan going for a Z3

Post by stevenb »

Hi,

Took an age to finally be able to post on here waiting for authorisation.... :oops:
I'm Steve and I live in Dunstable, South Beds...

I'm a long time Jap car fan but fancy something different so in April next year (not that far away really), I plan to sell my current Toyota MR2 and buy a BMW Z3.

I'm going for the 3.0 model and will have a budget of around £5-5.5k.
I have always kept tabs on other cars as I'm a car nut so I know what these engines are like and know a few basics of what to look out for on buying. I have a friend at work who's seriously into his BMW's too so we often chat about our cars.
I'll be refining my knowledge further still over the coming months.

My current car is a 1999 Toyota MR2 GT T-Bar in Cosmos Blue.
It's a great car and fun to drive but the appeal of a true roadster is too strong and it was between the S2000, Boxster S or a Z3 for me.

I'd like the Z3M but I want to stick to my budget and I'm sure I can find a nice example come the time.

8-)
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Welcome on board Steve.

You will find plenty to read on here to keep you busy over the winter months and your budget should get you a great example including the sport versions.

I'm on my iPad at the moment so can't link but if you pm me ill send you a link to download the original brochure, options and price list for the 2001 model year which covers the 3 litre nicely.
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
stevenb

Not specified

Post by stevenb »

Thanks for the reply.
I've sent you a PM.
Your car looks stunning.

I'd love to have a view in person one day.
I'll have to get myself to a meet and introduce myself.
Mac The Tank

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Mac The Tank »

Welcome!

I had a mate with an MR2 import once- it was the loudest car I've ever heard on the road in my life! Easily heard 2 miles away across town...

Good luck searching, now's a good time to put a cheeky offer in on cars for sale as people need the money for Christmas :wink:

Mac
Mac
Topaz Blue 2.2i Y2001 - only 16045 miles on the clock! (2011)
Update 04/14 - 18,702 miles
stevenb

Not specified

Post by stevenb »

Mac The Tank wrote:Welcome!

I had a mate with an MR2 import once- it was the loudest car I've ever heard on the road in my life! Easily heard 2 miles away across town...

Good luck searching, now's a good time to put a cheeky offer in on cars for sale as people need the money for Christmas :wink:

Mac
lol...he must of had a loud exhaust on it. I'm not into that these days. My car is totally original and unmodified. I'd rather listen to the engine. I used to have a Honda Integra Type-R DC2 shape which had an intoxicating sound in VTEC.

I wish I could afford to make an offer on a car but I just don't have the funds right now and my Wife and I are just about to pay off the balance of our Mexico holiday this Friday so I'll be a bit skint until the new year at least. :P
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

Welcome to the forum :wave

I didn't even look at other convertibles, there is just something about the Z3 - and 18 months on I still love whatever the hell it is :D

I'd love a 3.0, but they were easily 8-9k when I was looking. Some cracking bargains around at the moment, so lets hope that holds out till spring time for you.

Gary
stevenb

Not specified

Post by stevenb »

Thanks Gary.
I do like the MX-5's too but I wanted something with a little mor go.

The Porsche Boxster S is a better all round/poised car than the Z3 in my opinion, however it is not as pretty, much more expensive and I do like the traditional layout of Front engine, rear wheel drive.
With the hood down it'll be a very pleasant journey I'm sure.
8-)
yalden

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by yalden »

Why not try your hand at trading your MR2 for a Z3? You may need to add some cash on top to get a deal but it must be worth a shot! Pistonheads is your friend :wink:
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

stevenb wrote:Thanks for the reply.
I've sent you a PM.

Your car looks stunning.
Thank you, I like it :D

PM replied to with links
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster

Post by Guest »

S2000 all the way for me :D
stevenb

Not specified

Post by stevenb »

I like the S2000 too but having owned an Integra Type-R (which I did absolutely love and think it's the best car I've ever owned) I wanted something a little more civilised that you don't have to redline to get it going/have fun.
The 3.0 engine in the Z3 is very torquey which appeals to me a lot.

I would happily trade my car in for a Z3 but if I did that at a dealer they would give me nothing for my nice example and it'll leave me in a poor haggling position.
Come the time of advertising I will certainly use Pistonheads as well as the MR2 owners club I am a member of. I'll state on Pistonheads that I would PX with a Z3 of course.

ps yalden, your car also looks very very nice. 8-)
Thanks for the PM Jonttt
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Evmundo wrote:S2000 all the way for me :D
No way, I had one of the first in the country back in the day and hated it but then again I could never get to grip with Vtech engines, too much like hard work riding the revs, give me a twin turbo 300ZX any day, ahhhh the memories :D

Post by Guest »

Jonttt wrote:
Evmundo wrote:S2000 all the way for me :D
No way, I had one of the first in the country back in the day and hated it but then again I could never get to grip with Vtech engines, too much like hard work riding the revs, give me a twin turbo 300ZX any day, ahhhh the memories :D
Jonttt did you ever have a go in the face lift RX7 Turbo? Now that was a car
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Only drive a rotery engine once and handed the keys back lol To be honest it was not so much the engine as the feel of the car I did not like.

Never really looked at them since (apart from surprisingly burning one off in my works cooper :puzzle: ) so never driven the newer shapes.

Problem was I got into scoobies, now that is a car that proves its not all about BHP, I could drive them faster A to B than any other car I've ever driven but they are very agricultural compared to a silky BMW engine :wink:

Post by Guest »

I think its the difference between Turbo and normal aspiration and the way that the power is delivered, I like my Z3, but miss the fun of a turbo, torque steer and all that. But is good to see BMW starting to use smaller turbo petrol engines, should make or some tuning fun!
stevenb

Not specified

Post by stevenb »

300ZX TT's are great fun but are just big poweful cruisers to me. They're like handling a ship around the corners. :lol:
The last shape RX-7's are probably (in my opinion) the prettiest cars ever made with perfect 50/50 weight distribution. It's the engine and severly poor economy that ever put me off owning one, save winning the Lotto of course.

4WD cars are great. Had a Carlos Sainz Celica GT4 myself and enjoyed the grip. Not as good as an Impreza though. Even my cracking MR2 Turbo that I had couldn't out pace one of those, just because their grip and 'chuckability' was so good.

Honda, Toyota are my fave Jap models by a long way.
Bot are well made and totally reliable. I've never had a single breakdown/mechanical fault and even an old MR2 I had that had the piston rings on their way out lasted for another 6000 miles before it got too much.

I do like the appeal of the torquey smooth straight 6 with the effortless fun that can be had.
I remember an ex work colleague turning up one day in his black 2.8 widebody and thought how lovely that sounded.
stevenb

Not specified

Post by stevenb »

I have even seen the alloy wheels I want on my future Z3.
Love them.
8-)
My Toyota MR2 is up for sale £2650 ovno Pics/details available
peteslag

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by peteslag »

I sometimes miss my old MR2 turbo. Every time you pressed the accelerator pedal it was like stepping on a land mine, tremendous fun. Would I swap it for my Z3 3.0.......no chance!

All told I much prefer it. I get all the thrills but unlike the MR2, I don't feel that now and again it wants to kill me :twisted:
Z3 3.0, Ford ST220, Jaguar XK8, Mr2 GT Turbo, Fiat Bravo HGT, Cavalier, Astra convertible, MK1 Astra GTE, XR3i, E21 323i, XR3, Cavalier, VW Jetta, Rover SDi, Capri 2.0S, Audi 80 GTE, another Cavalier, brown Astra van, Citroen GS Club (we all had to start somewhere).
stevenb

Not specified

Post by stevenb »

peteslag wrote:I sometimes miss my old MR2 turbo. Every time you pressed the accelerator pedal it was like stepping on a land mine, tremendous fun. Would I swap it for my Z3 3.0.......no chance!

All told I much prefer it. I get all the thrills but unlike the MR2, I don't feel that now and again it wants to kill me :twisted:
I agree.
I've spun MR2 mk1's and mk2's easily (non-turbo models).
Although my mk1 did have inferior tyres on it.
Nonetheless, the MR2 Turbo's are very tail happy and it demands respect.
I think having a nice N/A BMW with low down torque allows you to anticipate the car better when putting down the power.
peteslag

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by peteslag »

Certainly yes, my 3.0 is very predictable though I would expect the smaller engined models would be just as competent. The Z3 got a bad rap when it first came out, I've got no idea why because the handling is fantastic.

My MR2 was a Rev1 turbo, the twitchiest of all the MR2's. It took me months to master it but once I had it was a very rewarding drive (with a few spins along the way if I'm to be honest). The Z3 is completely different, you can throw it into any corner and it will thank you for it even if you don't get it quite right.
Z3 3.0, Ford ST220, Jaguar XK8, Mr2 GT Turbo, Fiat Bravo HGT, Cavalier, Astra convertible, MK1 Astra GTE, XR3i, E21 323i, XR3, Cavalier, VW Jetta, Rover SDi, Capri 2.0S, Audi 80 GTE, another Cavalier, brown Astra van, Citroen GS Club (we all had to start somewhere).
stevenb

Not specified

Post by stevenb »

I always say that people might slate cars when they first come out but if you told them at the time they said it that you'd be able to pick up a bargain with aftermarket products available to help tweak things a bit for a fraction of the cost they'd turn round and admit that it would be a bargain!

I'm looking at how things go with work for both myself and the Wife......and if things turn out ok for us at work then I might be able to stretch my budget to a 3.0i Z4.
Or stick with the Z3 3.0 Sport and spend the extra ££ on tweaking it. :)
peteslag

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by peteslag »

Not sure if I could give you an un-bias view of which is the better car (Z3 or Z4), I've really taken to mine. I would definately test drive both, from what I can gather they are very different cars on the open road.

A friend of mine drives a Z4 3.0 and swears by it, mind you, his last car was a clapped out Ford Fiesta. :lol:
stevenb

Not specified

Post by stevenb »

It'd be the earlier 3.0i Z4 if I went down that route so same engine.

I know critics say the Z4 is was the Z3 should have been and the looks are marmite (love/hate).

I'll certainly have to try both although pricing will be a significant factor with £1-1.5k separating the two (in terms of what I'm looking for spec/engine/mileage wise).