1998 Z3 - remote locking problem

Details of how to register as a zroadster.net user, plus tips on day-to-day usage
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

1998 Z3 - remote locking problem

Post by Jonco »

When we bought our Z3 18 months ago the remote locking of the passenger door only operated intermittently but there was no problem with key locking. We were advised this was due to lack of use and after a month it settled down and has operated perfectly until this week.
Initially the audible stopped working but after afew days , the passenger door will only lock on its own door switch and not by remote or drivers door switch. The rest of the system still operates satisfactorily and infact the audible is now working again! The wiring diagram has not helped me so far - can anybody else help please? :?
Last edited by Jonco on Tue 06 Nov, 2012 22:29, edited 1 time in total.
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

Check the wiring from the body to the door and also the boot lid as this is the most common area for wires to fail. I had a wire fail in the boot lid on my previous zed and have read many others suffering the same causing all sorts of problems. Easiest way to fault find is to use a multimeter and check continuity of each wire by pushing pins into the wires on each side (ie. body and door/boot) and clip the multimeter leads to the pins and give the cable a jiggle you should have constant continuity. It is sometimes obvious when you get into the wiring as invariably one of the wires is completely severed. :wink:
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Rocking seats ? You need seat bushes click HERE
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Z3 - remote locking

Post by Jonco »

Thanks Aceman - guess what I'm doing tomorrow!
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Remote locking problem solved

Post by Jonco »

You were correct. Clip on boot cable had failed and hinge had badly squashed the cable, damaged the outer sheath and completely severed white and blue/grey cables which feed boot lock motor. Temporary repair made and working ok. Other cables seem Ok. Thanks again for advice.
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

No problem glad it's all fixed. :D
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Rocking seats ? You need seat bushes click HERE