A newbie who can't wait to get my car

Details of how to register as a zroadster.net user, plus tips on day-to-day usage
sasker

blank

A newbie who can't wait to get my car

Post by sasker »

Hi Everyone

I have just joined this forum as I am hopefully soon going to be the proud owner of a roadster

I drive around in a boring focus derv everyday and I have decided to treat myself to a weekend toy. I have a budget of 4.5k (5k) absolute max and I want to get either a 3 litre z3 or z4

I won't ask questions here as i will probably find people have already asked the same questions so I look forward to searching the forum

I have spent all weekend looking for cars and all I would say Is in my budget I can only find cars with 70 to 100k on the clock and just worry I may end up buying something that may need work doing so maybe someone can put my mind at ease as most cars I have owned have been much lower mileage petrol cars etc

One final note I am from the north west of England in a little town called Ormskirk so If anybody does know of a car being sold I would love to know as I have spent days looking at auto trader but they are all a very long way from where I live and tricky to get to with my job

Stu
TomH84

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: A newbie who can't wait to get my car

Post by TomH84 »

Your budget should get you a nice little zed. Hang in there for a good one.

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about headline mileage figures (others may disagree). It's condition that's more important. I've got one of the last Zeds and it's now 12 years old. Many cars are all ready dead at that age.

The big engines are beautifully built and so smooth. Even at 88k mine engine feels brand new. Make sure it's been serviced with frequent oil changes and the water pump / belts are in order and it's fine. I did the belts, pump, plugs etc all recently. Easy.

At 12 years + it's the suspension components that tend to need "refreshing" - at least that has been my experience. Again, nothing that can't be fixed with some £££

Keep looking! The Zed is an AMAZING car. Had mine a year and I love it. It's a keeper - along with the MGBGT. I'll soon need another garage at this rate...
2002 BMW Z3 2.2i 82k
1971(K) MGB GT - the 'other' car
sasker

blank

Post by sasker »

You have 2 lovely cars there.

Yes I can't wait to get one. I was a little disappointed not to see a for sale thread on here as it's usually a great place to look from past experience as I got my old accord type r from a forum member several years ago

I have heard the 3 litre's pull like a train with lots of torque too so can't wait to drive one.

I have seen a few z4's about but i love the shape of both so that's another dilemma too but I may get a better z3 for the money rather than a z4 but will have to see
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

TomH84 wrote: Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about headline mileage figures (others may disagree). It's condition that's more important.
Totally agree, my 2.0l is just approaching 150,000 miles and is a dream, starts first time, quiet and smooth and still picks up when you put your hoof down...
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by therealdb1 »

Hi Sasker
I endorse what the others have said; do not be put off by mileage. Mine has 120k.
Look around as it is the right time of year now the rainy season has arrived and you have a reasonable budget certainly for a Z3.
Mechanically the cars are not difficult to work on and the knowledgebase on here means that most issues can be resolved without resorting to franchised dealers most of which have forgotten what they once knew about these cars anyway.
Good luck and I look forward to hearing about your purchase imminently.
Chris
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Yep as others have said, you will be able to pick up a real nice car within your budget but please do remember that these cars are getting a little older now and will need a bit of work from time to time.
sasker

blank

Post by sasker »

Thanks everyone for your replies it makes me feel better now about the mileage worry I had

As I have seen a few z4's just within budget I have to decide which one to go for as i like the look of both cars?

Would you say that they both have the same maintenance costs overall? My car will only be used at weekends but you never know what can go wrong at any time.

I notice this forum doesn't have any for sale section which is a Shame but do you guys know of anyone on here talking about selling a z3 or z4?
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

.........this forum does have a "for sale" section....it's called "STOCK EXCHANGE"...... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
sasker

blank

Post by sasker »

Great thanks just had a quick look but nothing on there suitable at the moment but I have put a wanted post to see if I get any response :-)