Reply to post notification

Idle chit-chat and banter. Let your hair down, but remember there are kids about!
Russ1959

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Reply to post notification

Post by Russ1959 »

I've suddenly stopped getting emails indicating that there are replies on a thread I've made a post on.
I've checked my settings in the User Control Panel and its still ticked to get notifications.
Any one know why this is or should I say not happening? I didn't know if it could be something to do with my email.

Russ
2005 Toledo blue Z4 Roadster
Mac The Tank

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: Reply to post notification

Post by Mac The Tank »

Try changing the email in the settings on here to a second address; maybe one from http://www.mailinator.com to test. No need to login, just imagine an address; z3@mailinator.com and check its inbox. No password though, but good for these kind of things.

Just because the box in settings is showing you the correct email address, doesn't mean the back end is sending to the same...
Mac
Topaz Blue 2.2i Y2001 - only 16045 miles on the clock! (2011)
Update 04/14 - 18,702 miles
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Do not change your email address unless you want to temporarily lose access to your account - doing so requires the change to be approved by admin - only do this as a last resort.

A number of things might be amiss here:

* Your mailbox is full and incoming email has nowhere to go - this happened to me recently and my ISP does not send warning messages when you near your quota - email just stops being delivered
* The emails are being classified as spam and going into Junk/Spam either at your ISP or in your mail client
* The "Notify me when a reply is posted" may not have been set when you posted in the topic - it should say "Unsubscribe topic" at the bottom of the page when you are subscribed - if it says "Subscribe topic" you are NOT subscribed - you can see which topics you are subscribed to under "Manage Subscriptions" in the User Control Panel "Overview" tab

I have just checked the logs and sent a couple of test emails, and the board is sending outgoing email just fine.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Mac The Tank wrote:Just because the box in settings is showing you the correct email address, doesn't mean the back end is sending to the same...
I should hope it does! The board is directly connected to an underlying database and does not store data anywhere else. The email address shown will be the email address it uses. This does not guarantee that there is a route from the server to send email to that account, and mail can be rejected by one of the interceding servers.

If you are not having any joy, I will check the logs to see if the board is trying to send email to your email address. Can you let me know which topic it was that you expected a notification for.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Russ1959

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Russ1959 »

That's strange, I have got notification of the replies to this post :head:

Its the, "Z visit to the Newark Air Museum" thread which has had several replies over the last few days but I got no notification of replies to that.
I'm deff subscribed to it.

I'll see how it goes, thanks.
Mac The Tank

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Mac The Tank »

Robert T wrote:Do not change your email address unless you want to temporarily lose access to your account - doing so requires the change to be approved by admin - only do this as a last resort.
Oops, my bad - didn't think of that :dunce:
Robert T wrote: I should hope it does! The board is directly connected to an underlying database and does not store data anywhere else. The email address shown will be the email address it uses.
(For my sins) i have to work with 'puters and databases and I have seen this before. Usually hidden characters or added %20 space characters finding their way in from browsers with auto-fill.

Hope it all works out.
Mac
Topaz Blue 2.2i Y2001 - only 16045 miles on the clock! (2011)
Update 04/14 - 18,702 miles
Russ1959

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Russ1959 »

Seems to be working ok at the mo.
No idea what the problem was.