If Scotland goes!

Idle chit-chat and banter. Let your hair down, but remember there are kids about!
eddie1

Z3 roadster 2.8

If Scotland goes!

Post by eddie1 »

Well Zee-volk, what to do if our Scottish brethren leave us! The old Union Flag, will that go too? What of our visits North of the border, customs? I suppose Scottish meets will literally mean a visit to a foreign country! Politically I'm not bothered either way, if they go they go. It will be a shame but its their choice so good luck to them.

eddie1
Jet

blank

Re: If Scotland goes!

Post by Jet »

A lot of it hinges on whether they keep the Sterling, businesses in Scotland servicing England Customers, Taxes, Interest rates will change, pensions, increased risks, weaker Defence, possible increase in fuel, I am not an expert, but it impacts us all to a degree, its a little more complicated than removing a section of the flag and rebuilding Hadrian wall ;)
TaffZee

blank

Post by TaffZee »

There is a lot more to it than that:

If Scotland does decide to leave, the United Kingdom would be the first advanced industrialised democracy to separate in the postwar era. It would be an undignified end for a country that in its 307-year history has done more to shape the modern world than any other. The world we live in is one that England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have, in large part, created together.

Scots must look to the horizon before they go into the voting booth. If they decide against reviving a border that was dissolved in the early modern era, it will show that the spirit of the Enlightenment that made Britain great lives on. But if they opt for separation, they will have managed something that no foreign foe has ever achieved. They will have ended Britain :wave
Image1998 Atlanta Blue 2.8
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Whatever they decide to do it'll never quite be the same again as we have all known it through our generation. Scotland will either be known as the country that wanted to leave the United Kingdom and failed or the country that did break away, whichever way it sways it'll be talked about for years. I for one don't think they'll get the 'yes' vote but what do I know. :shrug

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

When I was up in Airdrie, all the men I spoke to wanted independence, but the women didn't.
Think it's partly a macho thing to some extent, too many Braveheart's maybe? :D
Mind you they don't seem to need to charge for university places or hospital parking so they must be doing OK,
If I was them I would want to be away from the control of any English party political self satisfying pocket lining politicians too.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

One thing not covered in the debates is whether the Royal family would still be allowed to have their summer holidays at Balmoral or would they have to settle for somewhere like Blackpool in northern England? :D
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

If Scotland leaves the UK, then we may have to boycott bacon and plastic building bricks just so that we can be the Disunited Kingdom. :lol:

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
eddie1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by eddie1 »

The strange thing is: if they give the Scots who live in England the vote. It would probably go yes! As they have the best of both countries! What we would probably see if they go independent would be a lot more Scots south of the wall! Not quite Calais! Would Berwick on Tweed be the staging point!!!!!! Seriously tho' good luck to them which ever way it goes. ....... Don't rate Salmond tho' bit of a Milliband if you ask me, no substance!

Eddie1
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

...... I reckon the Scots are making a mistake.... N.sea oil has already passed it's peak output some 8 years ago, and apart from some good whisky, what will they run their Z3's on ?? :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Haggis Barry, haggis! :D

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Can't wait for the vote to finish - I am currently suffering from politician overload.
eddie1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by eddie1 »

Got to agree Del, I'm sick of seeing old rubber gob Salmond playing the statesman! and Wallace look alike Milliband gonna do this & that! Apparently Newcastle is thinking of independence now!