GazHyde - Progress thread - and now, the end is near...

Post pictures of your car and discuss it here. One car per thread, and keep it on-topic, please!
Naeem.m

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Naeem.m »

Love the new bits Gaz. Glad you got the console ok.
Really excited about your new exhaust being fitted. You got a bargain there for a great piece of kit.
Looking forward to the fitted update.

Ps the door hockey's would be best sprayed. Would be a lot cheaper and you could get the look and finish. Would look cool with the console and the color of your Zed.

Keep it up mate :wink:
derekmcwilliam

blank.gif

Post by derekmcwilliam »

Loving the tips, do u have a link for D-reame?

Post by Guest »

GazHyde wrote:I want to match the hockeys at some stage. Unfortunately with a large outlay on parts already this month (about £650 so far), it's looking like next year before I can buy anything else. It's either that, or I can't afford petrol... :oops:

As a cheaper alternative, I may look to see if I can find someone to spray the hockeys on my spare set of door cards. May even give it a go myself...
Gaz, done the same console mod myself, I looked at buying the hockey sticks, and watched some door cards go recently for over £100.

Decided then that I will be doing mine myself, the outlay should be £14 for barrier coat primer and top coat aluminium. Will post results, i have spare set in case does not turn out, so nothing to lose.
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

derekmcwilliam wrote:Loving the tips, do u have a link for D-reame?
Derek, they are supposedly BMW X5 tips (or thats what he was told). This is all the info I have on them - BMW X5 part number 1837582246. You may want to check that code with BMW!
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

Evmundo wrote:Gaz, done the same console mod myself, I looked at buying the hockey sticks, and watched some door cards go recently for over £100.

Decided then that I will be doing mine myself, the outlay should be £14 for barrier coat primer and top coat aluminium. Will post results, i have spare set in case does not turn out, so nothing to lose.
We shall expect a good pictorial write up then, otherwise in penance you shall have to spray mine for me :D
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

There are few words I can think of to describe the exhaust now it's fitted, so I'm going to go with....

HOLY COW -- :shock: :D

I can understand Mike's comments about it being a bit loud, and not wanting to damage his hearing any more. It sure as hell isn't subtle. At low rev's its about as loud as the stock box at full pelt. At high revs it is absolutely trouser wettingly amazing!

I haven't even fitted the induction kit yet :oops:

Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Thing whats its like with 4 of them :D
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
stevenb

Not specified

Post by stevenb »

Great progress thread and inspirational to a newbie like me.
All the neat little touches etc really add to your car.
Very nice work.
8-)
My Toyota MR2 is up for sale £2650 ovno Pics/details available
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

Jonttt wrote:Thing whats its like with 4 of them :D
Do you have any hearing left? Shall I type LOUDER?

What loud rating are yours? Mike F said this is "Road Sport" level...
stevenb wrote:Great progress thread and inspirational to a newbie like me.
All the neat little touches etc really add to your car.
Very nice work.
8-)
Cheers, but it only started with a set of wheels........ :D

This is the first time I've have had a car I've wanted to improve. She won't ever be concourse material because she is driven all year round. But thats the fun, I don't think I could cope with having a mint condition car - too scared to drive it.
stevenb

Not specified

Post by stevenb »

I agree with you Gary on having a car to just drive.
I too drive my car all year round although in recent years I've had the luxury of car sharing with my wife. :lol:
One week we're in my car and the next week in hers.

I like to spend time keeping them clean though and I feel you get to know your car better and see which bits you may wish to upgrade/replace etc.

Above it's about enjoyment and getting a buzz out of it. It seems you certainly do and so do I. :thumb:
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

GazHyde wrote:
Jonttt wrote:Thing whats its like with 4 of them :D
Do you have any hearing left? Shall I type LOUDER?

What loud rating are yours? Mike F said this is "Road Sport" level...
Lol, I'm not exactly sure if they are Race or Sport (Race are louder than sport) as I've not had anything directly to compare them against.

They are loud though but in a great way for a hobby car. I would struggle to drive it as a daily though.

When people turn around from 100 yards IN FRONT of you, you know they are loud :shock:
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

The Eisenmann Road Sport I had on the MINI Cooper S was just about right on a road car, i.e. about the same as stock when idling and poutling along but came into its own in the higher rev range, if its that loud it doesnt sound like the Road Sport version but more like the Race. It shouldn't be so loud at normal speeds that people take notice. I'm just wandering if it will just be too loud for everyday use, great if you like that kind of thing but it would grate on me if doing longer trips everyday. Eisenmann exhausts are well made though and the boxes do polish up a treat :lol:

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

TitanTim wrote:The Eisenmann Road Sport I had on the MINI Cooper S was just about right on a road car, i.e. about the same as stock when idling and poutling along but came into its own in the higher rev range, if its that loud it doesnt sound like the Road Sport version but more like the Race. It shouldn't be so loud at normal speeds that people take notice. I'm just wandering if it will just be too loud for everyday use, great if you like that kind of thing but it would grate on me if doing longer trips everyday. Eisenmann exhausts are well made though and the boxes do polish up a treat :lol:

Tim.
Thanks for the info Tim. The problem is not having anything to compare the noise to! This is the first car I've had in 20 years which has had anything other than a stock exhaust. Having no roof will obviously make it sound a lot louder. Will see how it goes for now. Luckily it's not driven every day...
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

Just made a quick recording through my phone...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CGpP1HXDGCQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Last edited by GazHyde on Sun 30 Oct, 2011 14:55, edited 1 time in total.
('_')Z3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ('_')Z3 »

Think it sounds GREAT! :D
hornel Z3M

blank

z

Post by hornel Z3M »

That does sound very throaty, excellent :|
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

GazHyde wrote:
TitanTim wrote:The Eisenmann Road Sport I had on the MINI Cooper S was just about right on a road car, i.e. about the same as stock when idling and poutling along but came into its own in the higher rev range, if its that loud it doesnt sound like the Road Sport version but more like the Race. It shouldn't be so loud at normal speeds that people take notice. I'm just wandering if it will just be too loud for everyday use, great if you like that kind of thing but it would grate on me if doing longer trips everyday. Eisenmann exhausts are well made though and the boxes do polish up a treat :lol:

Tim.
Thanks for the info Tim. The problem is not having anything to compare the noise to! This is the first car I've had in 20 years which has had anything other than a stock exhaust. Having no roof will obviously make it sound a lot louder. Will see how it goes for now. Luckily it's not driven every day...
Noooooo its sounds great :lol: I'd drive it every day :D

Tim.
J1SUA

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by J1SUA »

That sounds manly. Lol. Love it! My supersprint is not as loud. I had both exhaust and induction. In the end took out the induction, zorst loud enough

Have fun sneaking back home in the early hours. Neighbours will hear you coming off the M4 lol

Z3 1.9 | 17" ACS Style 2s refurbed in grey/silver | Debadged | New Rear Window | Retro fitted Fog lights | HID kit | Clarion slim sub | Clear side indicators | Colour coded handles | Halo Front lights | Hardtop | Winter 15" Style 27s on Vredestein Wintrax
si-forks

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by si-forks »

love it :D :D more sound clips please :wink:
E30 318 1988 Gone
E36 320 1992 Gone

E36 328 1995 write off

E39 525d M Sport 2003 Current
E37 Z3 M44B1.9 1997 Current
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

si-forks wrote:love it :D :D more sound clips please :wink:
I want to get some sounds of it at full tilt, but short of gaffer taping my phone to the bumper I'm at a complete loss how to do it :shrug
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

What with all the excitement of the exhaust, I haven't got round to posting about the centre console.

There was me thinking that fitting the panels wouldn't be too bad. I know which end of a screw driver is which, so this should be a pretty simple saturday morning task....

At the end of the first hour, my car looked like this. :shock:

So many bits, where do they go?

After 2.5 hours - ta da! Well pleased with my efforts 8-)

Only one issue which is that the heater controls don't light up :head: hopefully won't take long to fix that when I get chance.

Oh, and the obligatory "1 screw left over" :oops:
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

Ive been there when i painted my center console :shock: It looks like a train wreck half way through!!

It looks great now its silver Gary 8-) Body colouring inside the car looks great :thumb:
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

This will be the last update for a while, as all funding has been strictly cut! :cry:

Finally got the correct carbon fibre box delivered from the US, so dragged my butt off the sofa and fitted it.

Had a quick blast round the block, but I've been advised to run it for around 200 miles or so to let the ECU get used to it.

Can't wait to give it a proper run out 8-)

stevenb

Not specified

Post by stevenb »

Is it a genuine carbon one Gaz?
I know on the Integra DC2 club the 'Mugen' carbon airbox is about £600 and is probably the best aftermarket air filter system that exists for that car.
That said the OEM airbox is pretty good too so many people just stick with that.

What can be expected from your filter (performance wise)?
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

It's a Simota carbon fibre kit, and chose it because it gets the best write ups here. Not too bad a price at £250.

The standard Zed airboxes are pretty rubbish, which is why a lot of people 'fog' them.

Performance wise Simota reckon around 3-5bhp, but I'm hoping with the recent exhaust and future remap (when I can afford it) it should be a reasonable improvement.
('_')Z3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ('_')Z3 »

Gary does the hose get squashed when the bonnet closes against the shiny aluminium part of the simota?
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

('_')Z3 wrote:Gary does the hose get squashed when the bonnet closes against the shiny aluminium part of the simota?
Err, good question. I'll have a look tomorrow...
('_')Z3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ('_')Z3 »

It's just when I fitted mine I think it does. It could do with some rigid tube as a sleeve for that small section, I've just not sourced it yet.
hornel Z3M

blank

z

Post by hornel Z3M »

hi Gazhyde. Simota looks good but i notice you dont have a heat shield, i know the air goes through the front of the simota but you also need to keep the carbon housing cool on the outside ,so it is easy to fit one :wink:
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Re: z

Post by GazHyde »

hornel Z3M wrote:hi Gazhyde. Simota looks good but i notice you dont have a heat shield, i know the air goes through the front of the simota but you also need to keep the carbon housing cool on the outside ,so it is easy to fit one :wink:
Cheers. No one mentioned a shield! Can you buy them off the shelf, or is it a DIY effort?

I want to try and change the air flow in to the front of the Simota, so am working on a few ideas for that right now.
hornel Z3M

blank

z

Post by hornel Z3M »

I am not sure where you can get one to fit yours but i had one from a stockist in New York for my 1.9, but there was already one on my M, as they are standard with the original box.
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

I'd reroute the hose to follow a route similar to the electrical wire in the upper picture. This is how the ///M expansion tube is routed.

Yes, you need a heat shield as hot air is less dense.
Pingu
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

Gary id do the airbox mod where you feed cold air to your filter with tubing ( gutter pipe ) from the front grill to under your light unit where currently theres a plastic cap.. Think theres a thread somewhere... Check my thread for couple of pics... ;-)
stevenb

Not specified

Post by stevenb »

Z3cade wrote:Gary id do the airbox mod where you feed cold air to your filter with tubing ( gutter pipe ) from the front grill to under your light unit where currently theres a plastic cap.. Think theres a thread somewhere... Check my thread for couple of pics... ;-)
Do you mean for example, keep the OEM airbox, upgrade the panel filter element and run a pipe from the front of the car into the base of the airbox?

Great mod on any car IMO. No heatsoak and max airflow.
You might not get an induction roar but the gain will be better I'm sure.
hornel Z3M

blank

z

Post by hornel Z3M »

Stevenb, i think you will find whatever you do to the oem box it is still restricted, it can only take so much air in, but the simota or K+N can take as much as you can give, so you run the extra pipe to you simota or K+N from the bumper bottom mesh area and take it to the front of the filter. :wink:
stevenb

Not specified

Post by stevenb »

Does it not suffer from heatsoak then?

I know my friends BMW 328I Coupe has a K&N and he runs a pipe to it but as part of the kit he's got an alloy sheet surrounding it which encloses the filter keeping it from the hot engine bay.
Do these cars have the room to accomodate this?

I'm learning you see....hence all my questions. :wink:
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

And so I face the final curtain. My friends, I'll say it clear; I'll state my case of which I'm certain.

I've lived a life that's full - I've travelled each and every highway. And more, much more than this, I did it my way.

----

Which is basically 'my way' of saying the Zed has to go :bawl: But, it's a good news/bad news story.

Having just been made redundant, I can't justify 2 cars at the moment. However, if I get a job quickly the payout will be more than enough to get me a couple of ///M's :D

Either way, I have one Z3 too many. Spent some of today removing stuff which won't be included in the sale. It was quite funny putting the original 16's on and going for a drive.

If she doesn't sell by the end of December, she gets traded for whatever I can get for her.

This car has without a doubt been the best/fun car I have owned to date in the last 20years.

I'll be putting an ad in the for sale section. Any potential owner will get first dibs on any of the upgrades I have added. After the car has gone, I'll then start selling off the remainder.

But one thing is for sure, next thread will be a car with an ///M badge of some description 8-)
Hard Top

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Hard Top »

Damit GazHyde, bad news indeed but keep your powder dry and your pecker up mate.
HT

Titan's apprentice. :D
Titan wrote:Occupations ?
Official Devil's Advocate :devil:
Leg Puller
Micky Taker
http://www.lde.nu/index.htm
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

Cheer HT,

In all honesty, I was doing a job I didn't particularly enjoy any more, for a company who I was gradually becoming more and more disappointed with.

Best thing all round, and I have the comfort of a decent payout which will keep me going for quite some time.
hornel Z3M

blank

z

Post by hornel Z3M »

Sorry to hear you problem gazhyde, i have enjoyed keeping tabs on your thread, but will enjoy it even more next time MMMMMMMM :wink:
('_')Z3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ('_')Z3 »

Really sorry to hear your news, like everyone else I've followed your thread with interest. I'm sure an ///M will ease the pain in the future.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Sorry too hear that Gary, the way things are going there will be more out of work that in :|

Before you know it you will be back into Zed ownership :lol:

Tim.
Dave'z3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Dave'z3 »

I know the real reason gaz...The exhaust and induction kit didn't bring your horsepower up to beat mine so you're now just going to take the p**s! I swear those tips have added another 50bhp to mine...

Serious note:

Hope the sale and job search goes well mate, and look forward to seeing your ///M!

Regards,

Dave
Factor 30? Check! Keys? Check! Grin? Check!

Progress/Damage report: http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 784#310784
Photo thread: http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... highlight=
Sorry if this is cheeky, but Business venture: http://www.fixtechsolutions.com
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Sorry to hear your news and good luck with the job hunting.

You'll be comforted to know that your second Z3 is always better than the first so you know you'll have something to look forward to :twisted: :wink:
Ragtop

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Ragtop »

Sorry to hear that Gary, I hope you will stay on the forum until you get your Z3M.

One way of staying on the forum is for you to continue doing your excellent running of picture of the month, if you can bear having to look at all the pictures of the lovely Zed's coming into your inbox every month. :D

Best wishes Ron & Gail
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

I had the similar happen to me, got made redundant, but found another job after 3 months, better job with some money left in the bank.
You never know what's around the corner and although time is bad at the moment you may be sitting in an M in 3 months time with some spare cash, a better job and a bigger grin.....

Things happen for a reason, and things will get better,
All the best with the job hunting......

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

Shocked to hear Gary..

All the best for the job hunt and im sure you`ll be back with another great Zed soon.. An //M is the way to go mate :wink:
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

Sorry to hear the bad news, things will work out i'm sure.
Progress Thread:http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=36117
Previous - S54 M Roadster, S50 M Roadster, Ibiza Cupra IHI 340bhp, Ibiza Cupra K04 270bhp, 6n2 Polo GTi
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

Thanks for the kind words everyone :cheers

I've had a lovely couple of weeks spending extra time with my kids. Not commuting 2 hours everyday has been good too.

The odd thing is I really can't find anything to get stressed about right now. Been wanting to change careers for a while, so this has given me the shove I needed!