My new Z3

Post pictures of your car and discuss it here. One car per thread, and keep it on-topic, please!
VikingSven

Z3 roadster 2.8

My new Z3

Post by VikingSven »

Bought it last Friday, and as I've spent the past week reading these forums, thought I'd take some pictures and share them, as it's been so sunny today (too sunny really - the polish and glass cleaner was drying on the car quicker than I could buff it off! I also now have sunburn on my arms to match the car.)
Car is a 1999 2.8L roadster, only had 78k on the clock, and I'm loving it so far - had the top down at every opportunity, and finding it so much fun to drive. Plus the noise it makes is so satisfying :D
Z3 with my (dirty!) Focus that it's replacing:
Z3 with the top down after I'd finished washing it. We've had a plague of greenfly around here the past few days, and the car was covered in dead bugs.
Already got a justroadster perspex windbreaker, thanks to reading about them on here!

The car does need a bit of attention to get it looking a bit better - I'm going to have the front bumper re-sprayed soon, as there are a lot of stone chips, cracks in the paint, and a few flaking areas too.
Also planning on getting some new alloys for it, as I like the look of 18" wheels on Z3s. I'm not a big fan of aftermarket alloys in general, so I'm keeping an eye on ebay for some BMW ones - I quite like the look of the MV2s.
Both tweeter grills are suffering from a bit of rust damage:
I was planning on cleaning them up and respraying them, but can't work out how to get them off. Do I need to take off the whole door panel?
Also need to sort this out:
Does anyone know where I can get a new one? Been looking online, but can't find one anywhere.
Ian_C

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Ian_C »

Nice to see another red zed on here :D ...welcome to the forum.

Probably best to get the sill strip from your local BMW dealer. To sort the tweeter grills out you really need to take the door card off. This is relatively straightforward - follow my guide here: http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11887
Current...1998 ///M Coupe
Previously...1997 Z3 2.8
Rob Tan

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Rob Tan »

Good looking Z3. It's nice to get to fix things up, because it makes the car more your own.
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

Woohoo another red Z comes to the fold. :D

Looks very nice and a similar spec to mine with the sports seats. I am suprised to see the 16" star wheels on it though the 2.8 looks and handles alot better with a set of staggered 17"s or even 18"s.

All the best bringing it back to A1 condition it is certainly a satisfying feeling.
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Rocking seats ? You need seat bushes click HERE
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Welcome to the forum Sven :)

Zed is looking great :lol: For the sill cover you could try Motormec, they were selling them a while back but just checked and the piccies of them seem to have disappeared off the web site but worth giving them a bell.

The speaker covers will come up great with a simple respray in mat black, it looks like they may have got wet at some time, probably the hood was left down :oops:

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
groove65

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by groove65 »

niiiice Zed !
-------------------------------------

1998 Z3 1.9 in Arctic Silver..... maybe i should change my screen name to Chilly !!
indizee

Z4 roadster 2.5i

Post by indizee »

OH NO :!: Not another red zed. :lol:

Welcome to the club.

Only joking, nice car. Tweeter grills come off easy enough from inside the door card, follow myredzed's thread, wont take you 5 minutes. I sprayed mine matt black as they were a little scratched, using a model airbrush.

In for some lovely weather, so you have no excuse to get your zed spruced up, don't forget, post some more pics when you're ready. :P
Present : Grey Z4 2.5 conv
ex-Cosmos Black 2.8
DC

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by DC »

Welcome and congratulations on your new Z.

I've recently refurbished the tweeter grills on my car and myredzed's guide was really helpful.
Mine weren't discoloured but the thin gauze at the back was perished and flapping about, really annoying!

The covers are easy to remove, just two nuts to unscrew once the door panels are off but then to get the gauze out which is sandwiched between the metal grill and the plastic speaker housing, you have to very carefully bend a few flaps on the grill to release it, simple but a bit fiddly.
At that point I found that the gauze was extremely thin material and after racking my brains as to what I could use to replace it my partner found me some "stuff" in her sewing box which was perfect. It's apparently material used to stiffen areas of clothing in dress making, easy to cut to size and fit and lets the sound through.
Unfortunately it was Grey which didn't look right (I think you could get it in Black) so I dyed it with a bit of printer ink before fitting which worked fine.

Whilst the door panels were off I tightened up a few loose fixings for the electric windows guides and re greased them resulting in much improved up and down action.
The whole job took me a couple of hours in all including ink drying time and general fiddling about.

Being retired, jobs do seem to take longer and fill the time available for them though they somehow become much more enjoyable.
Of course you could buy new but they would still need fitting and perhaps not as satisfying as DIY.

Dave
Dave. 1998 Arctic Silver Z3 M44 1.9 Automatic
DC

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by DC »

Does anyone know where I can get a new one? Been looking online, but can't find one anywhere.
Peterandjenny perhaps.

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... highlight=
Dave. 1998 Arctic Silver Z3 M44 1.9 Automatic
VikingSven

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by VikingSven »

Fitted a new new gear knob today, courtesy of ebay.
Old one: It was very loosely fitted, the rubber over the M badge is yellowing and most of the chrome effect on the bottom 1/2 had been scratched off, so it looked awful.
New one:
Was a PITA to fit, as the allen key screws that came with it to tighten it onto the gear stick are cheap as you can get - the socket just wore away as soon as I tightened them up, and they need to be really tight for the bottom section to screw back on over them.
Not sure if I'll keep it, as there's no weight behind it at all, so changing gear feels odd now. It does look alot better though :P
w4tkins

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by w4tkins »

Welcome along to the group.

It looks like you have the basis of a good project there, There a plemty of helpful posts and poeple willing to assit.

I have a set of side sills in my loft. The have a few marks on them PM if you are interested. They are an easy swap. Just start at the bck off the door and pull them off. New clips will be requird as they have a tendencey to snap.
Image My Journal
Favourite Quotes:
Rob Tan wrote: The Z3. Purely medicinal.
TREGZY wrote:''Ive seen the way you drive.....you got a heavy foot''
VikingSven

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by VikingSven »

Passenger side tweeter grill is sorted - had the door panel off to fix the central locking, so got at least this side re-sprayed at the same time.
Before:
After:
The grill is actually jet black, the camera flash just made it look a weird colour.
Also replaced the gauze behind the grill as it fell apart when I took the speaker housing apart. Ended up using some cross-stitch cloth dyed black with shoe polish :D
Managed to scratch the paint off the grill surround a bit when I put the grill back in, so going to grab a touch-up pot of paint tomorrow.
VikingSven

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by VikingSven »

New wheels on :)
Need to find some BMW centre caps for them. Hoping I can get the caps out without having to take all 4 wheels off again :P
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

Those wheels have completely transformed the car... Nice one! :D

Looks like you may have the same dilemna as me over whether to drop the suspension a little to make them snug in the arches. 8-)
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

Gazhyde wrote:Those wheels have completely transformed the car...

They sure have - the roof is up now :shock:
Seriously - that is an amazing transformation and IMHO a vast improvement.
You may be lucky and find centre caps on eBay but the only way to be certain of not scratching the rims is top pop the wheels off.
It's a good excuse to to polish the insides as well!

Oh - and a belated "welcome" to the forum/madhouse :)
Image :devil:
marcusplowman

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by marcusplowman »

I like the red touch you did round the tweeter grilles! Think the car needs lowered a bit to pull off those wheels tho!
VikingSven

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by VikingSven »

marcusplowman wrote:Think the car needs lowered a bit to pull off those wheels tho!
I agree, definitely on the back. How do you work out how much to lower by? Only potential problem is there are alot of harsh speed bumps around here that could be an issue if the car is any lower!
Hang_em_high

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Hang_em_high »

Going through this issue with mine at the moment trying to get a lower more even ride height. It seems as standard like yours the back end sits higher than the front,which is not a look I want with mine. Im trying to achieve a nice flat level stance without spending £400+ on a fully adjustable coilover setup. So far I have tried 40mm lowering springs, 30mm lowering springs and it's currently sitting on 30mm alround but this has dropped the front a bit to low and it touches the inner wheel arches on the front when travelling at speed over undulations in the road. It still also sits higher at the rear. Im now about to try the standard springs on the front and the 30mm springs on the back which im hoping will level out the car nicely.
If it still fails to achieve the right stance then i'll have to bite the bullet and get the coilovers.
Tori

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Tori »

Hang_em_high wrote:Going through this issue with mine at the moment trying to get a lower more even ride height. It seems as standard like yours the back end sits higher than the front,which is not a look I want with mine. Im trying to achieve a nice flat level stance without spending £400+ on a fully adjustable coilover setup. So far I have tried 40mm lowering springs, 30mm lowering springs and it's currently sitting on 30mm alround but this has dropped the front a bit to low and it touches the inner wheel arches on the front when travelling at speed over undulations in the road. It still also sits higher at the rear. Im now about to try the standard springs on the front and the 30mm springs on the back which im hoping will level out the car nicely.
If it still fails to achieve the right stance then i'll have to bite the bullet and get the coilovers.
Remember the rear springs will have much more stiffness than the originals, I dont think you will like how it drives with that set up.
VikingSven

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by VikingSven »

BMW center caps fitted! They're actually stick on vinyl bonnet badges - the center caps just happened to be the same size as the Z3 bonnet badges are :D
Also fitted some new clear side indicators with chrome bulbs:
And the final new addition so far is a brand new, not even released yet Kenwood mech-less head unit (pics are a bit crappy, had the roof up and the lighting was a bit weird as the sun was just about to set)
It's playing files off an 8GB USB stick in the glove box (that was a fun cable to route - there's no entry points into the glove box from the back or sides :/) and unlike every other headunit I've read reviews on so far, it doesn't spend >60 secs re-scanning the USB device every time you power it on. Very impressed with it, and the level of customisation you can apply to the sound processing is crazy - you can pick the size of the car, how many seats there are, which seats are occupied, and what the size of each individual speaker is! Also has a highway-mode feature that adjusts quieter sections of songs so you can hear them better while driving - which is very useful when driving with the top down!

Final pics for today - the front bumper and the sorry state it's in. The car is off to the body shop for a complete sand down and re-spray of the bumper, so next week it'll be looking a bit more respectable!
simonbud100

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by simonbud100 »

Looking good, the wheels really suit the car.

Good taste in music too!
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

You really have been busy with the moding bug :D

Tip re the wiring into the glove box is to use the existing catch hole. You need to remove the catch to thread through but can just replace it, the glovebox opens and closes as normal after :wink: (its a striaght route through from the headunit)
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
VikingSven

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by VikingSven »

Hmm didn't think of that - I ended up going through the hole behind the right hand bracket that stops the glove box from falling down when it opens. It was a tight fit, and getting my hand in behind it was painful, but once the USB port went through it was OK. Doesn't affect the opening or closing of the door, and means my USB stick sits in the back corner of the glove box nicely.
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

I put my USB socket in the rear of the centre console here;

Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

VikingSven

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by VikingSven »

I've already bought the parts to do that - but to wire it into the lighter socket power supply so I can charge my phone in the car :D
VikingSven

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by VikingSven »

New rear lights arrived earlier in the week, so just been out to fit them.
Before (left) and after:
Only got the right one done before the heavens opened, and in a hurry to get the left one fitted before the boot filled with water, I managed to shear off one of the bolts attached to the new unit.
This is a pic of the old light, with the part that's broken off circled in red.
Going to be fun trying to replace it. I can't really leave it off either, because with out that bolt tightened up, the light doesn't sit snug with the car on the side where the light curves round.
I've managed to get the broken bolt out OK, so as long as I can find something to replace it with, I should be alright, it's just finding something that will fit that's going to be the problem :(
VikingSven

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by VikingSven »

More new thing arrived on Friday, and just spent a couple of hours in the sunshine fitting them.
Old gear stick and handbrake boots:
And the new ones:

They're from www.redlinegoods.com - many thanks to myredzed for letting me know about them ;)
In case anyone else was thinking of getting a new set of gear stick / handbrake boots, I can definitely recommend this company. You can completely custom design both items, choosing leather colour, stitching colours, whether you want stripes, piping, 2 different colours of leather etc.
Both items are extremely well made, and there are clear fitting instructions on their website (hence the netbook on the floor :D). Definitely worth a look to get something unique in your car :)
They also do a sample set of all the different colours and textures (you can pick alcantara and carbon fibre effect too) for $10. If anyone wants my sample set, let me know, as I don't need it any more :)

Now I just need to find someone who can re-upholster my seats to match :D
slacz

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by slacz »

Nice work and nice rims.. what model is your kenwood headunit? Thanks.
VikingSven

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by VikingSven »

It's a KIV700. It's not officially out yet tho ;)
freds dad

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by freds dad »

VikingSven

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by VikingSven »

Places have had it listed since May, even thought it's not released until July. I tried contacting quite a few websites where it was listed as in stock, to find out that they didn't actually have any of them :P
freds dad

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by freds dad »

I didn't check to see if they were in stock so please accept my apology.
They are on Fleabay from American sellers at a lot less than the UK price but would they work on a UK car?
I only ask as my ICE knowledge isn't very good.
VikingSven

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by VikingSven »

Fitted some chrome door handle covers today. Not completely pleased with them, as the passenger side one isn't exactly the same size as the existing handle, and leaves part of the non-hinged section uncovered. Might end up replacing them with actual chrome handles at some point.
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

Your car is looking really good Sven we need to meet up sometime, I have just fitted some ///M mirrors this afternoon which look great. :D
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

marcusplowman

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by marcusplowman »

Get your handles painted along with the bumper if its not done yet...far better job than chrome :D
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

VikingSven wrote:Fitted some chrome door handle covers today. Not completely pleased with them, as the passenger side one isn't exactly the same size as the existing handle, and leaves part of the non-hinged section uncovered. Might end up replacing them with actual chrome handles at some point.
Looking good VS 8-) 8-) What make were the chrome handle covers? The Wellstar chrome covers are usually the best for fit although sometimes you need to file a little here and there to get an exact fit. If the ones you fitted arent Wellstar then I would give them a go. The genuine chrome handles are fairly pricey IIRC. I certainly wouldn't paint them body colour as suggested. Chrome gives a nice retro look.

Tim.
Frank.A

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Frank.A »

The OEM chrome fixed portion of the handle is not expensive.I paid £10.51 +vat each.The black plastic are around £7 +vat each,so painting your existing ones is not expensive if you don't like them and you need to buy new.
The fixed handles are supplied with new gaskets.
Painted handles give a more modern appearance IMHO.

Check out this thread.
http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... oor+handle

2000 Topaz 2.8 Individual.

Youth would be more useful if it came later in life!
Dolfan

M roadster S50

Post by Dolfan »

You have some nice mods there, have to agree a little lower for a better stance, keep up the good work :thumb:
VikingSven

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by VikingSven »

Finally got round to fitting my new headlights that I ordered from JustRoadster about a month ago.
Decided to go with the chrome surround, as the front of the car looked really dull compared to the shiny rear lights and shiny door handle.
I know they're a bit like Marmite on here, but I like them!
Only problem I have is not sure which bulbs are supposed to be the sidelights and which are the full beams - I can't see which are brighter in blazing sunshine! Can anyone else who has these clear it up? Should the main beams be the large bulbs (outer ones) or the small bulbs?
(and yes, a bird has poo'd on the bonnet while I was doing this :P)
VikingSven

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by VikingSven »

I take it from the complete lack of replies everyone hates the new headlights but it too polite to say so :D
Oh well, I like them, they make the car look much more complete.

Had the day off work today, and while waiting around for National Windscreens to come and replace the windscreen due to some rather large stone chips, decided to get the car tidied up a bit.
They never turned up, but I still managed to re-dye the leather seats, respray the passenger side wing mirror mount (although it's not perfect, so will take it apart and do it again soon), de-rust and paint the passenger side front brake caliper (unfortunately didn't have time to do the drivers side as well, so now I have 1 red caliper :oops: ) and then washed, clayed, polished and waxed it, as well as cleaning and protecting the roof.
Looks nice and shiny now :D
BTW its' not missing a wheel nut - I managed to shear off the locking wheel nut I bought from ebay, so replaced them all with the original BMW ones, which are shorter and a very dark metal, so you can't see them :p
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

VikingSven wrote:I take it from the complete lack of replies everyone hates the new headlights but it too polite to say so :D
Oh well, I like them, they make the car look much more complete.

Had the day off work today, and while waiting around for National Windscreens to come and replace the windscreen due to some rather large stone chips, decided to get the car tidied up a bit.
They never turned up, but I still managed to re-dye the leather seats, respray the passenger side wing mirror mount (although it's not perfect, so will take it apart and do it again soon), de-rust and paint the passenger side front brake caliper (unfortunately didn't have time to do the drivers side as well, so now I have 1 red caliper :oops: ) and then washed, clayed, polished and waxed it, as well as cleaning and protecting the roof.
Looks nice and shiny now :D
BTW its' not missing a wheel nut - I managed to shear off the locking wheel nut I bought from ebay, so replaced them all with the original BMW ones, which are shorter and a very dark metal, so you can't see them :p
Looks great VS 8-) I do like the headlamps :wink: I've always fancied some halos on mine, only thing with yours is they seem a very bright chrome in appearance, never thought I would say that as I generally like chrome :oops: but they do look more modern :lol:

Tim.
Hang_em_high

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Hang_em_high »

Looking very nice Viking. Love the lights :D suits it nicely.
I also bought some locking nuts from ebay and like yours one of them sheared off, in fact you could feel it stretching as you torqued it up.
TREGZY

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by TREGZY »

your 30mm off a good looking zed there....

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/4079/75154965.jpg
E102, E104, E110 and E37
Pinnacle

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Pinnacle »

I like the headlights, but then I am bias :)
--------------------------------------------------------------
komis

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by komis »

one thing you have to do.. put some spacers on those rear wheels!!! I got some H&R for mine and they fit spot on, small improvement in the rear's stability too!
wwwwOOOff!!!
TaffZee

blank

Post by TaffZee »

Welcome to the Forum Nice Car, Nice Colour :thumb:
Image1998 Atlanta Blue 2.8
VikingSven

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by VikingSven »

TREGZY wrote:your 30mm off a good looking zed there....
I'd like to drop it a bit, but then I wouldn't be able to get to work as quickly (have to take a whole different route to avoid speed bumps) or park when I get there as I have to get up a rather steep curb :p
VikingSven

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by VikingSven »

Fitted the boot lid liner today - £60 from Bradford BMW, had to be shipped over from Germany but still only took 2 days to arrive.
Before:

After:

Bit pricey for what it is, but makes the boot look tidier IMO.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

VikingSven wrote:Bit pricey for what it is, but makes the boot look tidier IMO.
I'm sold! What were the part numbers for it and the plugs? What did the plugs attach to, as I can only see two plug-shaped holes.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
VikingSven

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by VikingSven »

Part number is 51492492646 (part 10: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... g=51&fg=65)
You have to fit clips into the longer slots on the boot - not into the round holes.
The plastic screws (part 12) are sold individually, but the clips (part 11) come in packs of 20, but you only need 4. PM me your address if you want me to post a set to you, as I have 16 now that I have no use for :D