Toms 1.9 roadster project

Post pictures of your car and discuss it here. One car per thread, and keep it on-topic, please!
Tom.

Z3 roadster 1.9

Toms 1.9 roadster project

Post by Tom. »

Ok so this is my Z3 as of when i first bought her. Shes a 1.9 silver roadster. The last owner crashed her on the motorway with the resulting damage. I will keep this updated on how the repairs are going and list any mods i undergo along the way. :)

gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Not sure on which wheels? :D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Hi Tom,

Welcome to the forum, looks like a good project to het your teeth into :lol:

Please post some pics as you go along would be great to see how things progress :)

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Tom.

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Tom. »

gookah wrote:Not sure on which wheels? :D
Talking about wheels...

I have done a couple of things since i got the car, i picked up some BBS split rims from a friend at work....

Given the interior a clean...

and bought some wide rear wings from ebay...

But with it being about minus a thousand outside its not really the weather to be doing much :cry:

Tom
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

This is going to be interesting :D

Are you going to stick with a Z3 colour when you respray or take the chance to make it totally unique with either a non BMW or later colour ?
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

mmmmmmmmmm likeing the alloys already :thumb:

Out of interest, will you get the panels bare metal stripped and repainted off the car, I guess would make sense?

The weather is becoming a real pain now, not washed the 1 Series for 2 weeks which for me is unheard off and just too cold for the mods I was hoping to do over Christmas. Just hope it will warm up next week :lol:

Tim.
Tom.

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Tom. »

TitanTim wrote:mmmmmmmmmm likeing the alloys already :thumb:

Out of interest, will you get the panels bare metal stripped and repainted off the car, I guess would make sense?

The weather is becoming a real pain now, not washed the 1 Series for 2 weeks which for me is unheard off and just too cold for the mods I was hoping to do over Christmas. Just hope it will warm up next week :lol:

Tim.
With all the panels being 'bolt on' (which is very handy) i will, like you say, paint all the panels off the car. I planned to gather up all the panels i need, paint them, and then strip off the old panels and fit the new ones to the car.

With it needing pretty much a full paint anyway i am seriously considering a change of colour. Black really appeals to me, mut i'm not such a fan of sapphire black so i was thinking of Peugeots 'NOIR PERLA NERA NACRE' wich is a nice jet black metallic but has some pearl in there wiich creates colored sparkles.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Tom Sanderson wrote:
TitanTim wrote:mmmmmmmmmm likeing the alloys already :thumb:

Tim.
With all the panels being 'bolt on' (which is very handy) i will, like you say, paint all the panels off the car. I planned to gather up all the panels i need, paint them, and then strip off the old panels and fit the new ones to the car.

With it needing pretty much a full paint anyway i am seriously considering a change of colour. Black really appeals to me, mut i'm not such a fan of sapphire black so i was thinking of Peugeots 'NOIR PERLA NERA NACRE' wich is a nice jet black metallic but has some pearl in there wiich creates colored sparkles.
Good stuff Tom, I always think you would probably get a better standard of finish spraying the panels off the car than on, just need to be careful when fitting them back on, I guess the biggest expense will be the bonnet, but I'm sure you can get replicas from somewhere?

Black would be a good choice 8-)

Cheers,

Tim.
gypsycatcha

blank.gif

Post by gypsycatcha »

Great little project on a great little car.
Very interested in the rear arches. when you say wide, do you mean they are off the 2.8 zed??
Tom.

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Tom. »

gypsycatcha wrote:Great little project on a great little car.
Very interested in the rear arches. when you say wide, do you mean they are off the 2.8 zed??
Yeah they are from an ///M but i believe they are the same on the 2.8
It was difficult finding any for the pre facelift shape!
Hang_em_high

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Hang_em_high »

Gonna have to have wheels that will fill the arches now they are wide.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Hang_em_high wrote:
Daft question, but isn't the axle width different on the M from the other models? hence why the wheel offset is so low. So are the widebody panels the same for say the M and a 2.8? Just wandering if there is any implications fitting wide body arches to a non wide body Zed :| :rtm:

Tim.
gypsycatcha

blank.gif

Post by gypsycatcha »

TitanTim wrote:
Hang_em_high wrote:
Daft question, but isn't the axle width different on the M from the other models? hence why the wheel offset is so low. So are the widebody panels the same for say the M and a 2.8? Just wandering if there is any implications fitting wide body arches to a non wide body Zed :| :rtm:

Tim.
That was exactly what i was thinking with the axle width. Not only that but isnt the rear bumper wider on the 2.8s aswell?
Id love to throw on some wider rear arches but thought it was more than just fitting the new arches...?
Tom.

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Tom. »

gypsycatcha wrote:
TitanTim wrote:
Hang_em_high wrote: Gonna have to have wheels that will fill the arches now they are wide.

Tim.
That was exactly what i was thinking with the axle width. Not only that but isnt the rear bumper wider on the 2.8s aswell?
Id love to throw on some wider rear arches but thought it was more than just fitting the new arches...?
Yes the rear wings, bumper, sills, arch liners and fuel flap are different. From what i have researched the trailing arms are the same (maybe someone can confirm) and the extra width is taken up by the deeper dished rear wheels. I am going for the non ///M rear bumper so i dont have to replace the tailgate (wich houses the number plate on ///M versions). Not sure on the wheel issue as of yet but my BBS rears are an inch wider than the fronts so i will hopefully be able to take up the extra width with spacers.

Tom
Last edited by Tom. on Mon 27 Dec, 2010 07:05, edited 1 time in total.
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

Nice to see somebody doing something different

Will the standard pre facelift rear bumper stretch enough to match the wider arches?

will be interesting to see this.

i hope you will follow up with some engine work :P
Still modifying
Tom.

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Tom. »

markrnorton wrote:Nice to see somebody doing something different

Will the standard pre facelift rear bumper stretch enough to match the wider arches?

No i will need the wider rear bumper too.

What good modifications can be done to the 1.9 engine? I read that replacing the viscous fan with an electric one is a good idea for starters as this saps a lot of fuel economy and power?
hornel Z3M

blank

Z3

Post by hornel Z3M »

I think you could fit a 3.2 in it :drive .. Save you all the work why dont you buy an M Roadster :?: Well done though :wink:
Tom.

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Z3

Post by Tom. »

hornel Z3M wrote:I think you could fit a 3.2 in it :drive .. Save you all the work why dont you buy an M Roadster :?: Well done though :wink:
:P Yes!

Insurance may become an issue though :cry:
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Tom. wrote:
markrnorton wrote:Nice to see somebody doing something different

No i will need the wider rear bumper too.

What good modifications can be done to the 1.9 engine? I read that replacing the viscous fan with an electric one is a good idea for starters as this saps a lot of fuel economy and power?
Hi Tom,

If youre looking at a little more power then your best best is get the exhaust done then a remap. I'm looking at these guys for a remap in the spring, heard very good things about them,

http://www.e-maps.co.uk/products/BMW/Z3+Roadster/

Not sure about the replacing the viscous fan. I wouldn't bother with the air filter as personally think its a waste of time and money replacing these.

Tim.
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

Tom

easy, small , power gains for the 1.9.

ITG air filter and cold air feed (specifically ITG, it makes a difference)
viscous fan removal and replace with electric
exhaust
sports cat
remap from somebody who knows the engine

good luck with the project

M
Still modifying
Tom.

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Tom. »

I was in town today so i picked up a few service bits

Oil and filter
Fuel filter
Spark plugs

I decided it would be a good idea to do these bits while the car is off the road. I started with the fuel filter as this would be the hardest to do being underneath the car and then the rest, theres even a handy tool under the plug cover for removing the HT leads, how cool is that! The fuel filter looked like the original one

So probably a good 12 year old or so, a fair bit of smeg come out of it.

The engine runs 10 times better now, it seemed a bit lumpy at idle before :D

Also what is this hole for behind the handbrake in the center console, what should be in it?

swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

err you got me with the bottom pic........ :?
mine has a red light (never seen it lit up) in the middle and 2 blank switches either side :?

need to know now :rtm:

its for electric roof op :rtm:
the badness makes me do it...!

GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

Mine has the switch for the electric roof, a red light (alarm) and a blanking panel.

HTH, Gaz
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

swamper wrote:err you got me with the bottom pic........ :?
mine has a red light (never seen it lit up) in the middle and 2 blank switches either side :?

need to know now :rtm:

its for electric roof op :rtm:
There are a number of different things that go in that hole - it can either be an oddments tray or a switch plate with three holes. On mine, I have the alarm LED and heated rear windscreen switch (I have a hardtop). On other cars the alarm LED is up front and the electric roof switch can be placed here (mine is up front).

The red light should flash when the alarm is set.

In the above photo I can't see any wiring, so it may have been an oddments tray.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

true, mine has the oddments tray where that hole is. my electric hood switch is in the dash panel

seems there are differences
Still modifying
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

Robert T wrote:
The red light should flash when the alarm is set.

Cheers R.
im going out to check......... :lol:

yes it does :lol:
the badness makes me do it...!

jontymo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by jontymo »

Mine has the oddments tray, the alarm led is in front of the ashtray and flashes when set until it goes into power saving mode after a while.
1998 2.8 Roadster "Gone but not forgotten"
Tom.

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Tom. »

Ahh my alarm light hood switch are below the heater controls, odment tray it is then, i just need to find one now :?
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Tom. wrote:Ahh my alarm light hood switch are below the heater controls, odment tray it is then, i just need to find one now :?
Part #19 on this diagram. Should be less than a fiver from the dealer. :)

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Facelift has the alarm armed light and looks like two blanking holes,

If the switch for rear heated screen for the hard top goes here, is the wiring already in situ?

Tim.
Tom.

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Tom. »

Robert T wrote:
Tom. wrote:Ahh my alarm light hood switch are below the heater controls, odment tray it is then, i just need to find one now :?
Part #19 on this diagram. Should be less than a fiver from the dealer. :)

Cheers R.
Nice one :)
Tom.

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Tom. »

My new rear bumper arrived today. Apparently there was a problem with his delivery company so he got one of his men to deliver it (from Devon to North Lincs for £15) He said it was no problem, how generous is that! Its in great condition too, but in titan silver :(

I've also ordered an oddments tray and some new mats but they havnt come yet so i will post some pics up of them when they do.

Tom

gypsycatcha

blank.gif

Post by gypsycatcha »

Im very interested in seeing how this all looks once the wider wings and wider bumper are fitted. If the rear wheels are spaced to line with the arches, this will look great.
Fair play for doing this :)
Tom.

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Tom. »

I have had some spare time this week so i managed to get my old panels off, trial fit my new ones and then get them painted. As you can probably see i also picked up some ///M Alloys, front bumper and some new headlights. Here are the pictures of the car with the old panels off...

From this picture you can see the difference between the width of the old wing and the new rear bumper, also the amount the ///M wheels stick out beyond the original rear wing.

Here are the pictures of the car with the new parts fitted after painting, i've still got to do the bonnet and doors but its looking good so far i think!

Hopefully i'll be picking a bonnet up this afternoon and i will uplad a few pictures of that when its done.
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

looking good tom ;-)

i always thought that M wheels would stick out to far because the axles were differenet??

but you have just proved this wrong....
dam... i had a chance to buy a set for £250 with new tyres but didnt because i thought they wouldnt fit my wide body?????!!!!
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
Ian_C

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Ian_C »

Z3cade wrote: i always thought that M wheels would stick out to far because the axles were differenet??

but you have just proved this wrong....
dam... i had a chance to buy a set for £250 with new tyres but didnt because i thought they wouldnt fit my wide body?????!!!!
The 1.9 axles are the same length as the ///M but the narrower body means the ///M wheels protrude. Tom is fitting wide body rear panels to a 1.9 so the ///M wheels should be fine :thumb:
Current...1998 ///M Coupe
Previously...1997 Z3 2.8
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

oh i get ya now ;-) now im glad i didnt buy them!
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
J1SUA

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by J1SUA »

Nice work, well done for saving the Z and for rebuilding one that will look even better than when it first rolled out the factory

Z3 1.9 | 17" ACS Style 2s refurbed in grey/silver | Debadged | New Rear Window | Retro fitted Fog lights | HID kit | Clarion slim sub | Clear side indicators | Colour coded handles | Halo Front lights | Hardtop | Winter 15" Style 27s on Vredestein Wintrax
seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by seasurfer »

Thats looking brilliant, love those headlights, and best colour too, well done.

Gill
[/url]
ImageImageImage
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Looking great, that paint job looks spot on 8-) been very well done :lol:

Tim.
Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Daz3 »

TitanTim wrote:Looking great, that paint job looks spot on 8-) been very well done :lol:

Tim.
+1 That has some serious shine on it good job on saving the zed it looks great!
Tom.

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Tom. »

Heres a few more pictures as promised, I picked my bonnet up the other day and its already in primer so thats saved me a job, i can get the final few bits painted now.

Also i bought a new exhaust system, Its the cobra one from ebay, i would recommend it to anyone it was a great fit, looks good and sounds good. Its not too noisy either which is how i wanted it :)

shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

wow alot of works gone into this car, well done! a vast improvement over when you got her, looking forward to seeing the finished article
Progress Thread:http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=36117
Previous - S54 M Roadster, S50 M Roadster, Ibiza Cupra IHI 340bhp, Ibiza Cupra K04 270bhp, 6n2 Polo GTi
si-forks

Z3 roadster 1.9

z3

Post by si-forks »

Fantastic job the car is looking great :lol:
E30 318 1988 Gone
E36 320 1992 Gone

E36 328 1995 write off

E39 525d M Sport 2003 Current
E37 Z3 M44B1.9 1997 Current
Tom.

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Tom. »

Cheers for the comments guys :)

I've got my doors painted now and also painted the bit around the windscreen matt black. Heres the photos...

I've made some stoneguards too, you can just about see them
8-)

shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

The stone guards look very subtle, good job! she could do with a bit of lowering to finish the job off!
Tom.

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Tom. »

Yeah i will be lowering it at some point.

I painted the bonnet yesterday, so i've got that fitted on now and i've took some decent pictures with my camera rather than my phone :)

I hope you like it, i certainly do, i think it looks a lot better now thats its black. Now i want to lower it fit some decent speakers and head unit and mabye try and make it a bit faster.
spurs fan in a coupe

Z3 coupe 2.8

Post by spurs fan in a coupe »

Wow, great effort there Tom, a true transformation.

Out of interest what do you do for a living?

Wonderful looking car, love the Z3M wheels and the matt black windscreen surround. well done!
we expres: " He did hear the bells ringing, but doesnt know where where the clapper hangs".
Tom.

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Tom. »

spurs fan in a coupe wrote:Wow, great effort there Tom, a true transformation.

Out of interest what do you do for a living?

Wonderful looking car, love the Z3M wheels and the matt black windscreen surround. well done!
Thanks, I'm a Panelbeater/Painter (hope it shows :D)
Justin Time

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Justin Time »

Hats off to you, it's a brilliant piece of work.
BMW Z3 2.0L Velvet Blue Individual Edition