Zeddie

Post pictures of your car and discuss it here. One car per thread, and keep it on-topic, please!
afernan10

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Zeddie

Post by afernan10 »

Dear fellow Zedders,
Since I acquired Zeddie beginning of August I have been very busy during my vacation weeks in order to bring her to a healthy and good looking original status. Although she had recently passed the yearly ITV (the MOT equivalent here) just before purchase; there was still work to be done. Major concerns identified before acquisition and priority areas to address were unstable ride (I was assuming shocks life were over after 60000 miles) and an engine oil leak (I was assuming a defective front crankshaft seal) and I had already plan in advance to deal with them. But the most important and unexpected thing that happened to me after her purchase is that during this process I was extremely lucky to find a fellow Zedder and mechanic that has been extremely helpful to me and made everything much, much easier than anticipated. A couple of weeks ago I was asking for a quote on a new set of tires in a local garage, had Zeddie parked in the front door and the guy that was helping me said “my manager has a car like yours”. So I was introduced to Oscar the garage manager, who owns a six cylinder 2.8 Z3, and we started talking… you guess the rest of the story… since then Zeddie has a new caring garage where the manager shares the passion for the car and understands her needs (and also mine), that’s a real nirvana :)

Anyway, this is what I have done so far:

General Maintenance

1.- Replaced all car fluids and filters. Including differential fluid and gearbox oil, I read about the benefits on the later in this forum and decided to replace then based on that.
2.- Replaced rear brake pads, front were OK, and brake ASC fluid (Original BMW parts)
3.- Replaced air conditioning gas and oil. A/C cooling was not adequate for the Spanish summer :)

Engine Oil leak issue: engine was in good order however there was some oil leaking that resulted in spotting of the garage floor and a very messy engine front end with plenty of oil in the alternator and compressor belt drives. This was reported as a “minor finding” in the ITV (MOT) inspection. Contrary to my initial assumption crankshaft seal was OK.

1.- Fixed main engine oil leak by replacing the oil filter assembly gasket, bush and o-ring. (Original BMW parts)
2.- The cylinder head cover gasket and rubber seals were also replaced. (Original BMW parts)
3.- Replaced the belt drive water pump/alternator (6PK X 1733). (Original BMW parts)
4.- Replaced the belt drive climate compressor (4K X 889). (Original BMW parts)
5.- Detailed engine bay

Steering and stability issue: car ride was unstable and steering was not precise.

1.- Replaced left and right steering linkage rods, the left steering rod had signs of damage/ previous manipulation. (Original BMW parts)
2.- Replaced OEM rubber wishbone bushes with Powerflex (PFF5-301) urethane front lower wishbone rear bushes. I learnt about this in the forum here. (ebay)
3.- Replaced front and rear OEM shocks with a set of new Kayaba Excel-G gas shocks, retained OEM springs (Feu Vert)
4.- Replaced fake alloy wheels with a secondhand set of original BMW wheels styling 18 7,5Jx17 front and 8Jx17 rear. (Local Classifieds, Original BMW parts)
5.- Fitted a new tire set. My choice: Continental Sport Contact 3 225/45 R17 in all four wheels. (http://www.tiendasapunto.com/)
6.- Performed a wheel alignment (http://www.tiendasapunto.com/)

Electrical
1.- Fixed electrical connections of stereo system (rear speakers and amp now working but still work in progress, need to re-cable front speakers)
2.- Replaced interior and trunk bulbs with LEDs (ebay)
3.- Headlight lamps (HB3 and H7) to be replaced with Philips Blue Vision (4000K) lamps (ebay)

Car Trim
1.- Fixed passenger side window lifting mechanism
2.- Replaced broken covering defroster nozzles, left and right (Original BMW parts)
3.- Replaced front grilles with chrome units for aesthetic reasons (Ebay)
4.- Replaced orange side indicators with clear indicators for aesthetic reasons (Simon, Zroadster.net)
5.- Replaced aluminum back plate with acrylic plate for aesthetic reasons (ecomatricula.com)
6.- Replaced missing hardtop support covers, left and right. (Original BMW parts)
7.- Replaced rear vinyl window (Original BMW parts)
8.- Replaced missing OEM soft top cover (Original BMW parts, secondhand ebay)
9.- Replaced floor matts with brand new OEM City matts (Original BMW parts, ebay)
10.- Replaced all screw cover caps (10)
11.- Purchased a clear windscreen (windblox.com)
12.-Purchased magnetic stone guards from Terry (http://zroadster.org/shop/parts/stoneguards/)

Detailing
1.- Washed a waxed car with Turtle wax and AutoGlym stuff

After this process Zeddie is performing very well, the ride is very smooth and stable, steering is precise, there are no oil leaks… Still there is work that remains to be done but just minor trimming/cosmetic things.

Last weekend I took Zeddie for a trip to our place in southern Spain, in the Atlantic coast close to the Portuguese Algarve. I clocked 2000 kilometers and it was a lot of fun, I also took her for a photo session there 

Hope you will enjoy the pics!

Cheers,

antonio

PCSAM

blank

Re: Zeddie

Post by PCSAM »

a lot of work but its paid off your zeddy looks fatastic mate ........ :D
very clean example ......im upgrading my zed .selling 1.9 and getting a 3.ltr zed :D
billz

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by billz »

The crispness of the white villa in the first pic really sets it off. Keep up the good work.
bill
Image ImageImageUploaded with ImageShack.com
Z3 3.0 Sports Sold
Z4 3.0si Ruby Black with Champagne Leather and Piano Black Dash
Ian_C

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Ian_C »

Looks fantastic Antonio. A real credit to you :thumb:
Current...1998 ///M Coupe
Previously...1997 Z3 2.8
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

:D :cheers

The 'BEAST' 666
Captain

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Captain »

Looking really good, nice work :)
ImageImage
afernan10

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by afernan10 »

Thank you folks!!!
Yours is really encouraging feedback!

Billz,
Fyi, the white villa in the background is the clubhouse of El Rompido Golf, I was looking for a nice scenery :) For the pics I parked in a no car parking area in the way to tee #1 with the permission of the caddie master/starter. Btw, he was very enthusiastic about the beauty of the car (most people like Zeds) and this made things certainly easier :)
afernan10

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Zeddie updated

Post by afernan10 »

I did not posted this in the “What did you buy your Z3 this week ?" thread because these are some purchases I have done over the last six weeks :)

1.- Chrome side gills

2.- Chrome front grille

3.- Acrylic windblocker and “roadster” glass etched sticker

4.- Chrome brake hand lever and mid blue leather boot

5.- Aluminum pedals and footrest, shifter leather boot, iphone car holder, usb power plug

6.- Chrome door handles

Still looking for the chrome exhaust tip and the chrome top for the third brake light!

Cheers,

antonio
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

The clarity of your pics is amazing, what camera do you have ?
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
afernan10

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by afernan10 »

All pics in this thread have been done with a Canon EOS 550D body and the cheapo kit plastic lens Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS.This is a very light entry level DSRL system.
For car photography I always use a circular polarizer to control reflections in the car body (it is extremely useful) and sometimes a flash to fill light (no flash in this thread). I shoot raw only, never ever jpg.

This is what I carry in my camera bag:

Bodies:
Canon EOS 550D
Canon EOS 1D Mark IIN

Lenses:
Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
Cosina 19-35mm 1/3.5-4.5
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
Canon EF 100-400mm L IS USM

hope this helps!
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

I have a 400D with EFS 18-55 and EF 75-300

Never tried RAW
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Berso

blank

Re: Zeddie updated

Post by Berso »

afernan10,

Your car is simply stunning.

Well wear.

Berso.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Car looks in lovely condition and I like the choice of original BMW wheels - classic German, five spoke style also echoed by AMG/Porsche - same as mine.
EnthuZiaZT

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by EnthuZiaZT »

Hi Antonio
The blue of the sky and the blue Zed makes a stunning pic! :sunny
Youe Zed really looks in good condition, Well done. 8-)
Mike & Sandy - Mora Metallic Individual 2.0L

IMG_1038.jpg~originalImage
afernan10

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by afernan10 »

Hi Folks,
We had here a vacation day yesterday and took Zeddie for a bit of rubber burning in the early morning :D
A good friend of mine came also an took some pics, I would like to share with you 8-)
cheers,
antonio

PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

nice pics mate . car is looking great after your add-ons :D