Are UK Z1's undervalued ??

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
TJS

Z1 roadster

Are UK Z1's undervalued ??

Post by TJS »

Hmmm... seems the difference between UK and Continental advertised prices continues to increase for what is essentially the same spec car. I am still not sure what you would do with a 230km / euro 70k Z1 other than put it in a museum and hope the value of your "investment" continues to rise. I can only assume the Z1 is simply not on the radar screens of UK classic owners and/or LHD and perceived complexity of the doors puts people off.

How many UK registered Z1s are actually returning home, they must be a bargain for continental buyers

http://suchen.mobile.de/auto/bmw-z1.htm ... RT&lang=en

http://fahrzeuge.autoscout24.de/?atype= ... fromhome=1

TJS
ChrisS

Z1 roadster

Re: Are UK Z1's undervalued ??

Post by ChrisS »

mobile.de has a high mileage one that looks good for 18990€ from a dealer and a low mileage private sale for 1000€ more. Isn't that roughly in line with UK values. I'm just surprised at how many hardly used examples are for sale. What a waste to own it but not to use it!

What are the effects of the US market being opened up once our cars reach 25 years old? I think that might lead to cars going across the Atlantic, and with luck, cars in an English speaking country will be more attractive to American buyers.
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

Im beginning to think we will never keep pace with the rest of the EU, how many other EU countries drive on the left? Malta, Cyprus ......(excl Wales etc).

A LHD Z1 is a touch of fortune and a 'curse', desirable but impractical, expensive yet exclusive. UK attitudes perceive LHD cars to be inferior, a lesser quality, lower spec and harder to drive, none of which applies to the Z1. Alternatives in the same category costing far less, or if you just want a 2 seater convertible, a Z3 can be had for £1500 :shock:

Chris, your scaring me. There are maybe 100 cars in the UK, if your wish comes true and the US take ours, a price increase means a healthier return on investment, but only the well-off will be able to afford them, what happens to our already diminutive Z1 scene then?

Happy new year.
ChrisS

Z1 roadster

Post by ChrisS »

Hi Jet, and happy new year to you too. Now you're scaring me! OK the Z1 is impractical as a production car, compared to a Z3 or MX-5 but it's hugely impressive as a concept car. As such, it tells you what the development team was thinking in a way the others can't emulate. If some Americans appreciate these qualities, it should help push up values and make the positive experience of owning and driving this car even more rewarding. It's probably already the best performing part of my pension plan over the past five years, and much more fun than a couple of ISAs. The future Z1 scene in the UK will probably become more integrated with enthusiasts on the continent as the overall number of cars diminishes and the problems of older cars require even more detailed knowledge, so the prospect of a few going off to the US should not be too troubling.
Pat Slade

Z1 roadster

Post by Pat Slade »

Just thought I would chip in!
I would suggest the Z1's main negative to UK buyers is the LHD aspect.
But it is also worth noting that virtually all UK second hand prices are lower than mainland Europe. We are "blessed" (?) with real second hand bargains. A look at current s/h prices in France and Germany will quickly confirm this. Perhaps some of this rubs off on the Z1 even though it is too old to reflect current trends.

Happy New Year everyone.

Pat
TJS

Z1 roadster

Post by TJS »

Surprisingly, the average mileage for the Z1 tends to be a lot lower than the slightly rarer (5,700 v 8,000) and much younger Z8, the latter having increased significantly in value over the past 3 years. I wasnt aware of the US 25 year exemption rule for classic cars re domestic type approval ... I can certainly see Z1s heading West. I suspect the UK Z1 market will continue to lag behind the continent due to the LHD factor, rarity and lack of wider perception of just how good the car really is. A friend of mine spent 6 hours in the drivers seat of the Z1 last year and was very impressed, it far exceeded his perceptions and expectations.

TJS