Wing Mirror Glass.

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
TJS

Z1 roadster

Wing Mirror Glass.

Post by TJS »

Anyone replaced the glass in a wing mirror ?

I have a replacement which seems to show it clips into a central "ring" which is the motor drive (REAL OEM) with two connectors for the heating elements. I assume I need to very very gently lever to old one out of the mirror housing without damaging the motor unit or the housing.

Top tip, if you have a tar spot or bug on the glass do not polish it off using tar remover or an abrasive polish. The "mirroring" is on the outside ... not behind the glass. An expensive lesson learned, I could have mirrored the entire bedroom ceiling for the price of a Z1 wing mirror glass !

TJS

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Wing Mirror Glass.

Post by Southernboy »

If you have a look at the new mirror glass, you will see 4 clip points. Removing the "old" glass is best approached by unclipping the bottom 2 clips first. By that I mean the 2 clips which would be at the bottom of the housing in the normal mounted position. A thin flat screwdriver will do the trick. But before you start, get a decent light source, and examine the method used to clip the tabs. This will avoid you damaging anything in the process. Replacing is simple, press above the clip points and they will pop in with a little effort... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Yes, Barry, but I'm not sure it is the same on the Z1 :wink:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Call it a "senior" moment... :oops:
"Normal is overrated"

TJS

Z1 roadster

Post by TJS »

Southernboy,

Thanks , spot on !

The best tool to use to gently prise the glass from the motorised mount is the small hook used for the removal of the hub covers. A long thin screwdriver to prise the mounting clips on the mirror back and take a deep breath and lever the glass out. Disconnect the heated mirror connections and clip the new glass into place remembering to reattach the electrical connections. Simples.

TJS

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

........ inadvertently correct... But then I guess if BMW approve a fitting method and it works well...why fix it with something else... :D
"Normal is overrated"