Routine Stuff

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
xyobgyn

Z1 roadster

Routine Stuff

Post by xyobgyn »

Well, this isn't necessarily Z1 specific.....

Did a couple things in past weeks.... For people that don't do a lot of their own work, nor necessarily think much upkeep is needed, this might be of help. Our cars are pretty old now. Unlike some BMW E30 based cars, we don't have an aux fan. My fan clutch had worn out, it was probably the OEM factory one from new.... While I didn't put on a new fan with the ring around it (Nice because its so unlikely to throw a blade, its from diesel E36 if I recall correctly), the new clutch fixed the stop light overheating. Second, I had noticed fuel odors, and sure enough, original fuel lines in the engine bay. Easy enough to get to from above. In the process, and not surprising, found the main intake boot to the throttle is starting to crack. Its not obvious unless you really take it off and examine it. I'll order a new one shortly. I was surprised to see that the intake filter box is released from under the driver wheel well. Slick. I was surprised to find my throttle cable was so aged that full throttle did not open up the plate all the way! So easy to fix by tightening up the adjustment. I bet a lot of us would benefit by just popping the hood, stepping on the throttle all the way, and making sure it actually does open up to its stop point mechanically!

Wow.... what a difference those few things have made.

Yeah, I know I should have been on them sooner, but I suspect I'm not alone using my Z1 as a fun only car, and infrequently. This makes it easy to forget to check the simple things.

PS I believe the part number for the diesel fan I spoke of is 11522243303
Baby deliveries by day, baby deliveries by night, Euro motors in between.
xyobgyn

Z1 roadster

Re: Routine Stuff

Post by xyobgyn »

Also,

This may come in handy as well. The two part nifty clips that hold the Air Flow Meter cable to the Air Filter box tend to get brittle. They were found in the E30 section of cars, not the Z1 list for some reason. This is the bit that comes off and breaks. The base of the clip is:12511287301, less likely to break, and stays on the box....
Baby deliveries by day, baby deliveries by night, Euro motors in between.
Jet

blank

Re: Routine Stuff

Post by Jet »

Never thought to check, good idea. On a rare occasion I do get a small splutter, which I understand to be wrong mixture.....