BMW Z1 RHD Conversion

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
eqwanflash

Z1 roadster

BMW Z1 RHD Conversion

Post by eqwanflash »

Hi Everyone
I am new to this forum, and very glad to say hello.
I dont wish to upset the purists, but I have a BMW Z1 again, and was wondering if anyone had any experience with RHD conversion of the car, would be so nice to have in UK roads a RHD.
Before the sad passing of Udo I was talking with him and he was going to do it, but alas after speaking with his wife , understandibly they now do not wish to take on the responsibility.
Much to nice and rare car to have some amatuer hack it apart.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you all for your time

Ed
Jet

blank

Re: BMW Z1 RHD Conversion

Post by Jet »

Right, Left, Centre, it’s still a Z1. Welcome to the forum.

Not aware of anyone else who has attempted a RHD conversion apart from Birds and Griffin motorsport, a very long time ago. There are a few people here who can add something to your project, but are you converting a complete car or rebuilding, and what stage have you got too?

Some info here:

https://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtop ... it=Griffin
TJS

Z1 roadster

Post by TJS »

I think a RHD conversion would be expensive and may ultimately limit the wider market appeal of the car given values appear to be much higher on the continent.

LHD on UK roads isn't a problem for me given the Z1isn't the fast thing on four wheels for overtaking a convoy of dawdling traffic.
eqwanflash

Z1 roadster

Post by eqwanflash »

Thanks to all for your feedback much appreciated.
Stage I am at is I haven't started yet, car is as out of factory, am going to speak more with Ivor about pros and cons before I do anything.
Thanks to all, will let you know how it goes
Best and Merry Christmas
Ed